Best handgun to get my wife into shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ebranger

Feb 5, 2014
    Columbia, MD
    Looking to get my wife into shooting and just comfortable handling a handgun. Will be signing her up for a handgun training class, but looking for suggestions on a gun. Looking for something with a little more umph than just a .22, but want the recoil to me manageable for her and not make her afraid of it. What caliber would you suggest? And for a semi-auto what manufacturer and should I look into. Has to be a relatively small grip for her hands.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Get her a. 22 to get her interested and then move up.

My wife hated a 9mm but gave her a .22, made it enjoyable and then told why it made more sense to have a bigger caliber for self defense and she was good with a 9mm after that. Baby steps.

This...
    once she's comfortable with a .22, she'll make a much easier transition to another caliber.
    When she does make that transition, I recommend a 9mm. in a compact or larger frame semi.
    The smaller the mass of the gun, the more she'll feel the recoil, the less she will enjoy shooting.
    Revolvers will have a greater recoil compared to a semi because all the recoil energy goes into your hand with a revolver whereas the semi absorbs some of the recoil .

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Have her rent handguns. She isn't locked into anything, and can find something that fits her and that she's comfortable with. Then she can buy what she wants because she'll have been able to come to know what she wants.

glock9mm

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2011
    Ceciltucky!
    This...
    once she's comfortable with a .22, she'll make a much easier transition to another caliber.
    When she does make that transition, I recommend a 9mm. in a compact or larger frame semi.
    The smaller the mass of the gun, the more she'll feel the recoil, the less she will enjoy shooting.
    Revolvers will have a greater recoil compared to a semi because all the recoil energy goes into your hand with a revolver whereas the semi absorbs some of the recoil .

X2 :thumbsup:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Take her to the gun shop and let her shop for herself. Would you want someone buying you a handgun without your input?

ebranger

Feb 5, 2014
    Columbia, MD
    Thanks, all! She has shot a .22 and is comfortable with it. As long as I load and unload it, etc. the problem with renting is a gun range with a lot of other people shooting and a lot of guns to choose from overwhelms her a bit. She's much more comfortable when she and I can target shoot on her uncle'a farm. A 9-mm semi auto was what I had in mind, so glad to hear that suggestion. What are some good ones to start looking at? I want something decent, but not looking to spend more than $800-900, at most.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Thanks, all! She has shot a .22 and is comfortable with it. As long as I load and unload it, etc. the problem with renting is a gun range with a lot of other people shooting and a lot of guns to choose from overwhelms her a bit. She's much more comfortable when she and I can target shoot on her uncle'a farm. A 9-mm semi auto was what I had in mind, so glad to hear that suggestion. What are some good ones to start looking at? I want something decent, but not looking to spend more than $800-900, at most.

Go to a reputable gun shop. There are a number of good ones who are IP's here and will steer you right.
    In your price range, you'll have plenty of selection. Don't buy brand, buy what feels good for her. For example, Glocks are excellent guns but I don't care for them because of how they fit in my hand. Someone else might like a glock and not like a Sig, my preferred gun. Personal preference. Most semi's in the price range you're looking at are going to be fine.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    The largest 9mm she can comfortably hold.

For a beginner a heavier gun will have less muzzle flip and be easier to control. The longer barrel and sight radius of a full size pistol will improve accuracy as well. If she can hold it, a Sig P226 would be a good, easy to control option. Polymer framed options(Glock 17/M&P9/P30/PPQ) will offer more modularity in grip size/shape but are lighter and "snappier".

OR

You could go with a 1911. My girlfriend actually loves shooting my 1911 the most. It's slim and easy to hold, and the .45 out of a 5" steel framed gun actually recoils incredibly smooth.

TheSwiftOne

Nov 24, 2008
    Most will tell you to start with a revolver. Less can go wrong. My wife loves her LadySmith. So far she's only shot .38's but is warming up to the idea of shooting .357's.

-Swift

hard_core_emt

Mar 21, 2010
    Oakland, MD
    Bought my Wife a Ruger SR-22 .. Small and light and fits perfect in her hands . The grips are changeable also .. We tried the Walther P22 and the Sig Mosquito before deciding on the Ruger.

Sack

Dec 17, 2014
    WV
    My wife started out on a .380, and was damn accurate too. I had her try my Sig 226 9mm but she didn't really like it to much.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Looking to get my wife into shooting and just comfortable handling a handgun. Will be signing her up for a handgun training class, but looking for suggestions on a gun. Looking for something with a little more umph than just a .22, but want the recoil to me manageable for her and not make her afraid of it. What caliber would you suggest? And for a semi-auto what manufacturer and should I look into. Has to be a relatively small grip for her hands.

Obviously your wife should shoot several guns to see which ones she does better with but here are a few options to narrow down the list.

One option that comes to mind is the Walther PPQ in 9mm.

Either the M1 (paddle magazine release on the bottom of the triggerguard) or the M2 (4 or 5 inch) which has a button magazine release.

It has interchangeable backstraps for changing the grip size. And it has a great trigger (essentially the best of any production polymer pistol) which should make shooting much more enjoyable.

If the Walther PPQ provides to be uncomfortable for her, you may want to consider a heavier gun to help mitigate the recoil.

I would suggest the SIG Sauer SP2022 in 9mm. It is a highly underrated polymer framed gun (essentially a polymer frame p226), but it has a bit more weight to it than other polymer pistols which can help with recoil mitigation. It. is also very inexpensive

If your wife likes the Sig Sauer SP 2022, but prefers a striker fired trigger, or wants a smaller grip, she should consider the Sig Sauer P320 in 9mm. (fullsize or carry)

A few things to note. For ammunition, you should stick to 115 grain 9mm rounds (preferably those 115 grain rounds with lower fps) A good choice would be 115 grain Blazer Brass.

Also she should use the proper method to maximize her strength to rack the slide.

ebranger

Feb 5, 2014
    Columbia, MD
    Obviously your whife should shoot several guns to see which ones she does better with but here are a few options to narrow down the list.

One option that comes to mind is the Walther PPQ in 9mm.

Either the M1 (paddle magazine release on the bottom of the triggerguard) or the M2 (4 or 5 inch) which has a button magazine release.

It has interchangeable backstraps for changing the grip size. And it has a great trigger (essentially the best of any production polymer pistol) which should make shooting much more enjoyable.

If the Walther PPQ provides to be uncomfortable for her, you may want to consider a heavier gun to help mitigate the recoil.

I would suggest the SIG Sauer SP2022 in 9mm. It is a highly underrated polymer framed gun (essentially a polymer frame p226), but it has a bit more weight to it than other polymer pistols which can help with recoil mitigation. It. is also very inexpensive

If your wife likes the Sig Sauer SP 2022, but prefers a striker fired trigger, or wants a smaller grip, she should consider the Sig Sauer P320 in 9mm. (fullsize or carry)

A few things to note. For ammunition, you should stick to 115 grain 9mm rounds (preferably those 115 grain rounds with lower fps)

Also she should use the proper method to maximize her strength to rack the slide.

That's a great video, 501st, thanks!

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Small hands are a big problem. Ironically, many smaller pistols have very long trigger reach.

Have her try out a Browning Hi Power. It's a classic steel frame, single-action full size 9mm, and many people with smaller hands (such as myself) find it's a great fit.

The Hungarian FEG and the Israeli Kareen are clones, but get the real thing if you can.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Small hands are a big problem. Ironically, many smaller pistols have very long trigger reach.

Have her try out a Browning Hi Power. It's a classic steel frame, single-action full size 9mm, and many people with smaller hands (such as myself) find it's a great fit.

The Hungarian FEG and the Israeli Kareen are clones, but get the real thing if you can.

The 1911 and Hi Power (P-35, the first popular double stack) have the shortest reach to trigger of any popular semi autos. Essentially all "new" designs are made for men with LARGE hands.

The 1911 and Hi Power are very good guns to move up to (and 2 of my favorites), but beginners should be started with rimfire; at least on their initial training.

My wife likes to start new shooters with a .22 pistol (I have a Buckmark) to see how they react. She quickly steers them to a .38 Special (she claimed the S&W 64) as a good "learn to shoot" handgun. Her belief is there is much less intimidation without the moving slides and flying brass in pistols, yet there is still a "real" bang and recoil.
    Not sure if this makes sense in writing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom