The King of Knots! Most important knot you should know.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Most important knots to learn (you can pic more than one)

• Anchor bend

Votes: 5 2.7%
    • Bachmann knot

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Bowline loop

Votes: 135 71.8%
    • Butterfly knot

Votes: 5 2.7%
    • Cleat hitch

Votes: 12 6.4%
    • Clove hitch

Votes: 62 33.0%
    • Cow hitch

Votes: 1 0.5%
    • Constrictor knot

Votes: 3 1.6%
    • Double fisherman

Votes: 13 6.9%
    • Half Hitch

Votes: 49 26.1%
    • Honda knot (lasso)

• Pile Hitch

• Running Bowline

Votes: 14 7.4%
    • Sheeps Shank

Votes: 8 4.3%
    • Sheets bend

Votes: 14 7.4%
    • Square Knot

Votes: 74 39.4%
    • Tautline hitch

Votes: 31 16.5%
    • Tautline to rope

Votes: 4 2.1%
    • Transom Knot

Votes: 4 2.1%
    • Yosemite Bowline

Votes: 3 1.6%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I'll make this a poll because a lot of you have different opinions, and I'm wrong often enough to have learned my lesson. :)

A lot of folks have problems with knots, because unless they were a scout or were forced to learn knots; they never learned any. When you wade into this subject, it's too easy to become overwhelmed with all the various knots and it gets confusing, so dedicate the next 10 minutes or so to master this one simple knot, the King of Knots, the Bowline.

Now, go get a few pieces of string and rope; read this post, and then watch the video below and make the knot 20 times with different pieces of string/rope; and you will remember it forever.

There are only four things you need a knot to do:
    1) Make a loop (lasso, noose, etc.)
    2) Join two ropes together
    3) Knot at the end of a rope
    4) Tie rope to an object

So I feel, if you can only master one knot, that will work for the maximum number of purposes, its the Bowline knot. Sure it doesn't do everything, but it will do an adequate job of most tying/knot tasks. I'd say for most camping/hiking tasks, it's about got you covered. Fishing/sailing and other specialty activities do require special knots.

Here's a great video on how to master and tie the Bowline knot very easily. Next time you bump into me, lets see you tie this knot.

Jump ahead to about 2 minutes:

bowline.jpg

Great website, credit to: https://www.netknots.com/rope_knots/

Wiki:
    The bowline is an ancient and simple knot used to form a fixed loop at the end of a rope. It has the virtues of being both easy to tie and untie; most notably, it is easy to untie after being subjected to a load. The bowline is sometimes referred as King of the knots because of its importance. It is one of the four basic maritime knots (the other three are figure-eight knot, reef knot and clove hitch).

sixfivesavage

Jun 30, 2011
    Jarrettsville
    Voted. If you know limited knots and they are the bowline, running bowline, square knot, half hitch and clove hitch you can do pretty much anything. The rest just make you better at doing stuff.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Its hard to limit yourself to one, but if I did I'd say 2 half hitches is my go to knot.

Followed up by the square knot, sheep bend, and of the basic bow. I need that one to tie my shoes :)

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    You know there is always one a**hole who when given twenty different choices in a poll still has to pick something different. I guess I'm going to be him today! If you can only know one knot I'd vote for a figure eight. It's easy to learn and with It you can:
    -Tie a simple figure eight for a stopper/ end of rope
    - Tie a figure eight on a bite for a loop
    - Tie a figure eight on a bend to join to rope ends
    - Tie a figure eight follow through to tie a rope securely around something.

Anyway my 2c.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Bowline, square knot, half hitch and clove hitch.......... sum it up pretty well. ANYBODY that was ever in the Navy has tied their bosuns tie (yes, that's the thing landlubbers call a scarf) :rolleyes: with a square knot a million times. Bowline will break before it comes untied.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    How many here were in the Boy Scouts & had to tie a loop around themselves with one hand while the other hand was raised & held against the wall? (To simulate hanging from a cliff of course and being able to tie a safe loop around yourself when a rescuer passed a rope down to you.)

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    You know there is always one a**hole who when given twenty different choices in a poll still has to pick something different. I guess I'm going to be him today! If you can only know one knot I'd vote for a figure eight. It's easy to learn and with It you can:

Anyway my 2c.

I, too, looked for the "eight" in the list as it is versatile and effective.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I, too, looked for the "eight" in the list as it is versatile and effective.

I'll go with this + figure eight.

Anyway my 2c.

My mistake, I definitely should have had the venerable figure 8 knot on this list.

While researching it, I discovered a huge controversy regarding the Bowline knot; here's an article that tells the story well: http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/climbing/Not-the-Knot.html

To summarize, the Bowline knot is great, but according to the article above almost every year a climber gets killed using that knot. The Figure 8 knot is less complicated and apparently a much better knot because it can be more easily double checked that it is correct and is much more secure. The Figure 8 knot is a cinching knot, so it is also much more difficult to take apart.

So if you just need a quick knot to tie a rope around a tree or boulder the Bowline will be easier to remove. The Figure 8 knot is more secure, simpler, but harder to remove.

figure_eight-a.jpg

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    Some knots are not to be used with certain kinda ropes....and all knots have one of the three basic elements that make up a knot.... BITE, LOOP and a ROUND TURN

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom