Are std capacity mags inheritable in MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    OK, scopes, ammo, small mags, clips (real clips) and rifles are inheritable FTF with non prohbited heirs; handguns and banned rifles are inheritable via transfer to non prohibited heirs.

Are std capacity 10+ mags inheritable with their associated guns or does the estate have to "dispose" of them outside the state of MD?

Searched the forum, but could not find an answer

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I suppose if the gun had a bullet button, then the magazine would be integral to the weapon, and spare magazines would be just spare parts for replacement. If the new owner should decide to change the configuration of a lawfully owned rifle, I can't see that being illegal.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I suppose if the gun had a bullet button, then the magazine would be integral to the weapon, and spare magazines would be just spare parts for replacement. If the new owner should decide to change the configuration of a lawfully owned rifle, I can't see that being illegal.

I don't think any of that is relevant in MD

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    If you're really itchy about it you can always have the executor of the will meet you in PA with al those Dangerous standard magazines

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    This subtitle does not apply to...the receipt of an assault WEAPON or detachable magazine by inheritance if the decedent lawfully possessed the assault WEAPON...

Mr H

Banana'd
    This subtitle does not apply to...the receipt of an assault WEAPON or detachable magazine by inheritance if the decedent lawfully possessed the assault WEAPON...

That language seems to presume that any magazine is for a firearm owned by the decedent, which would mean if someone died owning mags for something they didn't own, those mags would not be immediately transferable within MD.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

OK, that might apply to a banned rifle ... nothing about handguns

Yeah, definitely legal for the executor to transfer out of state - what if the executor is the heir of the magazine ... do they have to go to DE, VA, WV or PA to "transfer" it to themselves? :lol2::lol2::lol2:

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I have given this a bit of thought. Once my heir has an HQL, I intend to take him to PA, gift the mags to him and return to MD, recording the event in my will. IANAL.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    OK, scopes, ammo, small mags, clips (real clips) and rifles are inheritable FTF with non prohbited heirs; handguns and banned rifles are inheritable via transfer to non prohibited heirs.

Are std capacity 10+ mags inheritable with their associated guns or does the estate have to "dispose" of them outside the state of MD?

Searched the forum, but could not find an answer

Why are you even asking this?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

Actually, if it has a bullet button, it becomes a banned rifle once it has a magazine greater than ten rounds. Semi auto rifles with fixed magazines that are over ten rounds fall under the "copycat" definition.

Page 9
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/chapters_noln/Ch_427_sb0281E.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom