• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I just fail to see why a US company couldn't make a high quality AK47 if they wanted to, it is just a firearm, and USA manufacturing smashes Russian manufacturing in almost every other product including most guns. I assume the problem with previous US made AK47s was cost of manufacturing, but PSA seems to have most other US AR-15 manufacturers beat when it comes to cost vs quality.

And Russian Aks were shooting up in price even before the importation bans.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    I just fail to see why a US company couldn't make a high quality AK47 if they wanted to, it is just a firearm, and USA manufacturing smashes Russian manufacturing in almost every other product including most guns. I assume the problem with previous US made AK47s was cost of manufacturing, but PSA seems to have most other US AR-15 manufacturers beat when it comes to cost vs quality.

You would think so but they don't. The cost of labor which the AK is very intensive for puts them above what companies are willing to charge and people willing to pay for them.

There are a boatload of U.S. companies assembling AK's to subpar quality with many out-of-spec components. Of course most of these outfits are not doing dedicated manufacturing of them. Maybe PSA can change things but I will wait and see.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    If PSA is building it, I am sure it is a real POS. F- that company.

Rut roh! Should I call customer support to cancel the 5.56 bolt carrier group I ordered from them (Never called them but know it might not be easy)? Should I avoid PSA?

No, you're fine. Their products (except for the P-Tac line, which they distribute) are fine. Some people are mad at them because they're slow to ship and they won't ship AR lowers to MD.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I dunno, I had a bum upper from them. Gas block was loose. To their credit, they made it right. Their recent decision to do 9mm kits with unramped BCs and standard hammers was a bit otherworldly, though.

BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA
    PSA has been nothing but quality for me.

I'd buy one of these. In fact I'm pretty sure I NEED one.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    I dunno, I had a bum upper from them. Gas block was loose. To their credit, they made it right. Their recent decision to do 9mm kits with unramped BCs and standard hammers was a bit otherworldly, though.

Well I just ordered a 20" AR upper from them it was the only one I could find that had the specs I wanted whereas I would have gone BCM but they are still out.

Fingers crossed though.

dtmeyers

Jun 22, 2013
    There are a boatload of U.S. companies assembling AK's to subpar quality with many out-of-spec components. Of course most of these outfits are not doing dedicated manufacturing of them. Maybe PSA can change things but I will wait and see.

Are AKs even made to a spec? I thought loose tolerance is what made them so forgivable.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Are AKs even made to a spec? I thought loose tolerance is what made them so forgivable.

Yes like for instance a specific size of the hole in the barrel for the gas port, they routinely screw that up causing guns to overgas. Ask me how I know.....

Headspacing- they also screw that up causing AK's to blow up like that Century AK-74 YouTube video that went viral recently

Receiver hardness and out of spec? Another screwup at least for the companies who decide to build theirs in house *cough* I.O. Inc. *cough*

Canted sights- unfortunately an issue with mass-produced AK's but it is something that at least the importers try to rectify by sighting them in. U.S. companies don't even do that.

Trigger groups, Tapco's are generally out of spec that require much fitting.

Barrel material- The ex-Comblocs required hammer forged chrome-lined barrels. The only deviation was Yugoslavia/Iraq using hammer forged barrels with no lining but the base material of the barrel was always hammer forged. No U.S. company builds a hammer forged AK barrel. Their button rifles are not very durable, cause premature flaking on barrels that are chrome-lined, and AK74 barrels do not have the correct twist to fire all 5.45 ammo which has been a problem on U.S.-assembled one's using U.S. barrels causing keyhole issues whereas imported 5.45 barrels can fire any 5.45 bullet under the sun. So with a U.S. barrel you have no idea what you are getting compared to knowing exactly what you get with an imported one being milspec and all.

Magazines- For polymer mags the ex-Comblocs had steel reinforcement in the locking lugs, front spine, follower, and floor plate lock that many domestic one's lack. Magpul and Toth Tool seem to be fixing or improving upon the issue though which is a good thing.

So the issue in general with U.S. AK's is that they don't build them to the correct specs to even meet the AK's loose specs and use substandard parts that cannot hold up to the AK's durable reliability.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD

Has any one seen the offerings from Kalishnikov USA? Looks like they are located in PA. Looks like they recently announced their MSRP for some of their models.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    PSA might just be using Kalashnikov USA as an OEM.

PSA has been good to me. The parts I've gotten have been fine. And from what I hear, they fix any issues quickly. So for the price, maybe you didn't get all the Quality Control steps that a bigger name supposedly would have done. But they will take care of you. To me, that's a big deal. There's plenty of companies that can't be bothered.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Well I can admit that I was totally wrong, amazing how many companies can build a $600 AR15 but can't build an $800 AKM.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    That sucks, I did want to ultimately own an AK. I guess I'll have to move to do so now.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    PSA has PSAK47 G2 (blem) for sale now at about $500.00.

Even with forged carrier, I can't pull the trigger to buy due to past problems with this one. Wish it weren't so with American made AK's.

Parallax-Free

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 12, 2017
    Balt. Co MD
    I can buy one of these in maryland?

No, but they make a KS47 which is neither copycat or banned by name. It's an AR chambered in 7.62x39 and takes AK mags. The AK mags are cheaper and more reliable. I tried twice to order one, in two different ways, no dice.

They won't let civilians order their completed firearms or completed lowers and have them shipped to FFL. An FFL has to order them directly and then transfer to you, which is what I plan to do.

I prefer the modularity of the AR platform and the AK mags take care of any feeding reliability issues. you can also order the KS47 lower(when in stock) and build it that way.

Food For Thought

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom