• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    If you are selling ghe Smith just for the lowers, bad move. If you have no desire for it anymore then consider it. A 16" HBAR works handles well. I'd wait and HBAR it.

Chriss

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks to every one for all of your insight and opinion. The Smith shall stay forever in my collection and be handed down to my son when the time is right. I think it might be fun to take it to Bollinger's Guns and Grub in October. I have some 20 year old ammo for it that needs to be used.

I like the HBAR and AR-10 options. I lost sight of that in the stripped lower frenzy and I really want a chance to build my own.

I intend to find a way in the next week to obtain a stripped lower (Poly or Aluminum yet to be determined) to hold onto so I may try my hand at building when funds become available.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    I hate to be an old man buzzkill, but it sounds like the lowers are a want, and the credit cards are a need. If it were me, I'd keep the Smith, pay down the cards, and get an HBAR later.
    I really hate credit card debt. I've seen it destroy way too many folks.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I'm not a proponent of adding to debt, but you could get a blemished (looks excellent to my eyes) stripped lower from aero precision all in for $117 with the 8 day release from Bollingers.

The lower is $75, the shipping is $12 and Bollinger's charges $30. If it weren't for the 9/30 deadline of getting a lower, I wouldn't propose adding to debt. But it's now or never in the People's Republic.

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/shop/ar15-stripped-lower-receiver-w-cosmetic-blemishes

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I am strapped for money. I want a couple of lowers to beat Oct 1. I was considering selling the Smith 686 Stainless 4" with Pachmayr grips to fund such spending andhave some leftover to pay down my credit card It was the first handgun I ever bought at age 21. That was 29 years ago. I haven't shot it in 20 years. I have been going back and forth for days. I know its worth some serious coin but I'll never buy another like it.....such a dilemma FU MOM!!!!!!:facepalm:

Tell ya what I'll do......

I'll give you $600.00 CASH and let you see a picture of my 3 Colt ARs, for your S&W 686.

Otherwise, do NOT sell that 686. You will regret it.

After 10/01/2013, save your $$$ and buy a Colt AR-6721.
    It's virtually the same rifle as the AR-6920, but, it has a HBAR instead of the GI contour barrel, and the 6721 has a 1:9 twist, the 6920 has a 1:7 twist. IF memory serves me, there's like 3 oz difference in weight. (Or something insignificant, like that.)
    (I have one of each.)

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    You can still get an AR after October 1. AR-10 or an HBAR AR-15. I would assume both of the legal variants will suddenly become absurdly more expensive after October 1 briefly, then prices will go back to normal within six months. (There will likely be a short-term shortage of them in Maryland as general demand for all ARs gets funneled into the few remaining, legal types). You will also still be able to buy a Mini-14, but it will probably have the same, temporary price bump as demand outstrips supply for a short period of time.

So the only AR crisis is if you absolutely must have the thin barrel AR in 5.56, or if you absolutely MUST have one before say next spring.

My decision not to buy an AR right now was very easy to make. I devoted my limited pre-October 1 funds to getting AKs, which really are gone completely after October 1. So it is certainly not worth selling off your first revolver or putting yourself in bad shape money-wise.

Chriss

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I really do appreciate all the well thought out advice ( mostly). Aero Precision Blems just came back in stock so I found enough coin in the seat cushions to make an order with shipment to Bollinger's (8 day super FFL!!). I will have an AR eventually now.

I am keeping the Smith. I will shoot it in October at Bollinger's. I will eventually pass it to my son. I think my daughter will appreciate my stainless mini 14 rancher much more. Again 28+ years old or so and seldom shot. I have out of the sport for a looooong time.

Ranger Tom

Jan 28, 2013
    Woodsboro MD
    I really do appreciate all the well thought out advice ( mostly). Aero Precision Blems just came back in stock so I found enough coin in the seat cushions to make an order with shipment to Bollinger's (8 day super FFL!!). I will have an AR eventually now.

I am keeping the Smith. I will shoot it in October at Bollinger's. I will eventually pass it to my son. I think my daughter will appreciate my stainless mini 14 rancher much more. Again 28+ years old or so and seldom shot. I have out of the sport for a looooong time.

Smart move. Hopefully I'll see you at Bollenger's.:clap:

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    I am strapped for money. I want a couple of lowers to beat Oct 1. I was considering selling the Smith 686 Stainless 4" with Pachmayr grips to fund such spending andhave some leftover to pay down my credit card It was the first handgun I ever bought at age 21. That was 29 years ago. I haven't shot it in 20 years. I have been going back and forth for days. I know its worth some serious coin but I'll never buy another like it.....such a dilemma FU MOM!!!!!!:facepalm:

Don't do it. Been there, done that. You will regret it.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

:thumbsup: Glad to hear you're keeping your first 686! I would LOVE to be able to walk into the shops of 29 years ago today, and know what I know now in hindsight about the selection that was available for sale at that time. Your first choice was a damned good one. Hold on to that SW, come hell or high water if you can!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom