• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Personally I wouldn't trust a ceramic knife for self defense. They break too easily IMO. I guess they are better than nothing but a ball point pen is better than nothing and would be even stronger.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Ceramic knives still contain enough ferrous compounds for it to be detected by a metal detector. It's part of the manufacturing process so they can't be snuck onto aircraft.

For SD, I wouldn't use one. The blades can break and chip, and that nice clean cut that looks so great on paper, is not what you want for SD. You want a rather jagged cut for SD, it's harder to close. Nice razor clean cuts are easier to close.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    I'll confirm the brittle issue with ceramic knives. They also don't do well in dishwashers. I have a few with missing tips thanks to a family member putting them in the dishwasher.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    An AR dust cover door on your key ring also makes a great improvised cutting/slashing implement.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    For someone who is so inclined to try to get a blade that's at least vaguely useful for SD past a metal detector, what options exist?

Not that I would do such a thing. Just exploring this for informational purposes.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    For someone who is so inclined to try to get a blade that's at least vaguely useful for SD past a metal detector, what options exist?

Not that I would do such a thing. Just exploring this for informational purposes.

Something like the old A G Russell "CIA letter opener"; see post #6

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Something like the old A G Russell "CIA letter opener"; see post #6

"Page not found"

Boondock, if you're really trying to have something available for SD should the occasion call for it while at a game - there's dozens of ways to fashion a concealable shank with no metal content that will still cut.

Although you already carry something everyday that can make a good improvised cutting/slashing/stabbing implement - keys.

A small piece of kydex that has been bevel ground on one side can make a hell of a improvised blade as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom