• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which date could you attend the build party?

• Total voters

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    UPDATE : THE AK BUILD PARTY IS SCHEDULED FOR APRIL 25!

I will be hosting an AK Build Party in April. The only two Saturdays that I can host it will be April 18 or 25. Respond to the survey above to let me know which Saturday that you can attend.

I will allow my AK47 1.0 and 1.5mm flat bending jigs to be used to make new receivers from flats at a build party if the following conditions are met:

1. You have an approved Form 1 for an AK based SBR or;

2. You have a rear pistol trunnion in-hand and;

3. After you bend that flat, the pistol trunnion is riveted to that flat before you leave the build party.

This is the only way that I would feel comfortable letting someone use my flat bending jigs to make a new AK receiver.

See you there!

Last edited:

Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    Awesome, Learned a lot at the last party. Need to park my build and I'll be good to go.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    I was thinking about doing some door prizes or karma giveaways at this build party. If anyone wants to make a contribution that would be awesome. Nothing big; perhaps a MDS or something like an AK magazine, book, muzzle brake, pack of rivets, etc. I thought that it would be something cool to do at lunchtime.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    I was thinking about doing some door prizes or karma giveaways at this build party. If anyone wants to make a contribution that would be awesome. Nothing big; perhaps a MDS or something like an AK magazine, book, muzzle brake, pack of rivets, etc. I thought that it would be something cool to do at lunchtime.

Happy to donate stuff. I have rivet packs, spare furniture, mag pouches and the like. I need some help getting my bolts to close with rounds in the magazine. I think my ejectors are binding with the round/spring pressure and need to be filed down a bit. They close fine on empty magazines. I'd consider the parts a welcome donation to a little help to get my rifles finished and shooting.

I can go through my stuff and let you know what I've got that can come out of my parts bin.

Matt

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    not sure what works best for me, but you guys trust me on this:

There are a few places selling Nitrided unfired Yugo barrels, and they are AMAZING. Nitrided barrels in general take back some of the accuracy that the AK platform can sacrifice and they run like raped apes with steel cased ammo.

If you haven't picked up a barrel yet, go with a nitrided one- you will NOT regret it

I know that I harp about melonite a lot, and I am now going to share the reason why:

A good while back, my brother and I were working on a few builds, mainly just as practice to hone the craft.

Anyways, we ended up getting a nitrided unfired Yugo surplus barrel, (at that point I had thought the seller had done it by himself, but I now realize that they are available from Ak builder and other places as well.

Anyways, to test accuracy after the barrel was pinned and headspaced I decided to shoot the rifle without any of the barrel hardware installed: no gas block, no muzzle device, no nothing- just using it as a single shot rifle.

Using Yugo brass M67 (I figured it was what the barrel was made to chamber and fire) I was able to make a ragged hole at 50 yards. I have never had anything approaching that out of an AK before.

The flame gouting out of the gas port was beautiful so I am told.

I stupidly did not clean- I did not realize the ammo was corrosive. The barrel was fine and more than fine, not a speck of corrosion. The unfinished metal of the rails not so much.

Point is from a wear point of view, I know for certain that the steel used in the barrel makes a difference, but 4141, 4150, and the steel that the Yugo barrels are made of when nitrided correctly wear better than chrome when steel cased ammo is used, with noticeably better accuracy.

Just saying, don't be afraid to use a US made or Suprlus Nitrided barrel

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Bring it and I am sure there will be a few builders there just to help others with issues. Almost all of my builds from flats have needed some sort of tweeting or hand filing on the rails to get them to function properly. Once you issues get straightened out and headspaced we can take it out back and put a few rounds through it to make sure it cycles properly.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I can attend on the 25th. April 18/19 is Appleseed weekend. They will be holding shoots at every range available across the country!

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    So tempting.... I don't know if I can afford to get all the parts in time. Any experience with Childer's receivers? And for barrels is Green Mountain GTG or should I just bite the bullet and get a K-VAR Bulgarian. I will need to send it off to ADCO for cut and thread.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    So tempting.... I don't know if I can afford to get all the parts in time. Any experience with Childer's receivers? And for barrels is Green Mountain GTG or should I just bite the bullet and get a K-VAR Bulgarian. I will need to send it off to ADCO for cut and thread.

cant speak for Green Mountain barrels but Childer's receivers are great.

Their stuff is heat treated and if you get the pre-trimmed rails it helps. Looking at their websites seems they are very busy. Availability time for some of their blanks is 3-4 weeks

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    A few members have contacted me about the Appleseed Shoot scheduled on April 18th so I am going to go ahead and plan the build party for April 25th.

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012

Green mountain is a solid product. My barrels needed emory cloth for the front handguard retainer to slide when building maadi kits, but everything else fit well and the chrome is awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom