• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FFJim

Apr 27, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    Just picked up my first Ruger 10/22 tonite and had an unusual revelation. I haven't even taken it out of the box and I am online buying new parts for it already! :) I had to laugh at how ironic it is to be happy about buying something that I am going to "change" right away.

My overall goal is to make a decent rifle to use at an upcoming Appleseed event. First step is the sling and swivels as well as the Tech Sight. Any other suggestions for this new addition.

PS - Will post pics as soon as it is more than stock!

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    nothing wrong with a stock 10/22 but they are hard not to play with and change out parts . There are tons of things you can do to them . Im in the process of finishing one for my son , just need a barrel .

SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    Totally normal :D.

I really like the difference the Volquartsen target hammer makes over the stock hammer. Also, consider getting an after market bolt release (or taking a dremel to yours) so you can release the bolt by just pulling the charging handle back and letting it fly.

Congrats!

Nubz

Yankee Trash
    Mar 16, 2012
    Norm yes
    sensible no

I would shoot it a while first to make sure it runs right and find out which ammo it likes best before i went butchering it

Wreck

Mar 9, 2012
    Bethesda
    I like doing mods one at a time instead of just doing all at once. That way it's like a different gun every time I shoot it and I can see how each mod changes the gun.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    My overall goal is to make a decent rifle to use at an upcoming Appleseed event. First step is the sling and swivels as well as the Tech Sight. Any other suggestions for this new addition.

Also, consider getting an after market bolt release (or taking a dremel to yours) so you can release the bolt by just pulling the charging handle back and letting it fly.

I didn't tweak my 10/22 much for the first few years that I had it. I did eventually do the same work that you're describing to get ready for Appleseed. The suggested bolt release was also a done and is a nice feature. I'd consider an extended magazine release as well, but it's hardly a must.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Next on my 10-22 wish list is the Thompson conversion stock. My current 10-22 was in a knoxx axiom stock before I fired it. Then came the UTG quadrail.( I think I may like the AIM version better though) and a custom sight setup(to be replaced with offset irons).

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I only have one 10/22, the only thing I've done to it is put on a $60 walmart scope. I am kinda thinking now that I need a 10/22 takedown with some tech sights, and then turning my current model into a bull barreled target rifle. I have no desire to be without one with a standard profile barrel, I love how lightweight it is. That's why I think I need 2... Or maybe 3... Oh hell, why not 4? :)

Yes it's normal. That's what you get with one of the most popular guns in the country, gotta make it yours.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    WARNING! Check the barrel. There was a thread on MD Shooters not that long ago finding a zip tie inside the barrel of a Ruger 10/22 that was bought new. I have a friend who also found a piece of zip tie inside of his new Ruger 10/22. A piece of the zip tie was embedded in the bolt face and the rest of the tie was inside the barrel. I don't know if this was done at the factory or at the store, but you might want to check it out before shooting it.

Zombie_013

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 30, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    Just picked up my first Ruger 10/22 tonite and had an unusual revelation. I haven't even taken it out of the box and I am online buying new parts for it already! :) I had to laugh at how ironic it is to be happy about buying something that I am going to "change" right away.

PS - Will post pics as soon as it is more than stock!

revolution stock and green mountain bull barrel

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Best place for update parts for the 10/22 (I just bought one) I do plan on the appleseed event eventually once I get to shoot this one more.

I think ebay has good selection and prices but you won't find stuff on ebay that's illegal in California unless you get lucky.
    For hi cap mags try a PA or VA gun show.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008

I really like the difference the Volquartsen target hammer makes over the stock hammer. Also, consider getting an after market bolt release (or taking a dremel to yours) so you can release the bolt by just pulling the charging handle back and letting it fly.

Congrats!

+1:thumbsup:

These are the first things that I do to my 10-22's.
    Rather than replacing the bolt release, I do the mod on mine. Instructions are online, but basically you just dremel out the tit on the "heart". Makes all the difference in the world, I'm just surprised Ruger doesn't just make them this way to begin with.

MH

nonlinear

Aug 8, 2011
    Definitely normal...

zf7EO.jpg

FFJim

Apr 27, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    I love all of the replies, comments and pics. Hoping to get the first batch of stuff in Friday. This will give me the sling & attachment hardware and some of the smaller stuff such as the mag release. Really looking forward to getting the tech sight.

In the meantime, I am reading up on the Appleseed stuff which seems pretty interesting.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom