• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • survivorRob

Apr 1, 2009
    Anyone know what kind of vision requirements they have? My nephew is interested but not sure if he is eligible

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    What is the deal with the range of the salary? Could you enter the academy making $46k?

Good luck trying to figure out the pay scale. It seems like it's meant to be overly complicated.

You likely will not start at 46k. You will start at the lowest end of the announcement unless they are willing to place you higher on the scale due to previous employment.

The pay scale does not really represent what you will actually make.

It would be best to find a paid FF here or off the board and sit down and have them explain the steps and at what point in your career you would climb the pay ladder.

I can tell you it is a highly competitive hiring process with MANY MANY experienced FF's applying.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I'm no longer up to speed on the pay thing but if my memory serves me, the probation period is now two years. You enter at the low point and by the time you complete the 2 years, you will have received step raises to bring you to the upper figure. After that, the sky is the limit with annual raises and promotions. The first promotion is to the rank of Firefighter after the probation is complete and they throw more money at you for that. It ain't a bad living. Just look in the driveway of any fire department employee for validation.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I'm no longer up to speed on the pay thing but if my memory serves me, the probation period is now two years. You enter at the low point and by the time you complete the 2 years, you will have received step raises to bring you to the upper figure. After that, the sky is the limit with annual raises and promotions. The first promotion is to the rank of Firefighter after the probation is complete and they throw more money at you for that. It ain't a bad living. Just look in the driveway of any fire department employee for validation.

The main draw would be the benefits of the schedule.

You could work your FF hours and still have time for another full time job elsewhere.

Baltimore County almost across the board takes very good care (in regards to pay and benefits) of their employee's. Just don't get hurt on the job or do something to bring negative attention to the employer.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I don't think it worth trying unless you are or have been a volunteer firefighter. The odds will be stacked against you if you ain't.

fd0816

Oct 26, 2012
    Howard County
    I don't think it worth trying unless you are or have been a volunteer firefighter. The odds will be stacked against you if you ain't.

This is not entirely true.. although it may help you it doesn't mean you won't get hired because you don't have prior experience. That is why they do a several week long training academy. It's one of the few careers that will pay you to learn how to do the job.

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    It is a highly, highly competitive process. In this area, recent firefighter recruit classes have had several hundred applicants for each available position. Read the recruitment announcement and all the links. Do a web search for the process. Study up, get in shape. Many applicants fail the background check or the drug tests (tends to make the first cut easier). There are books available that should be studied carefully, especially the ones about the interview. Written and physical tests are generally pass/fail. Much of the sort happens in the interview. Veterans (rightfully) get a preference.

Understand that most fire departments are in desperate need of medics. Fire calls are down, medical calls are way up and on the increase. This applies nationally. If someone really wants a career in the fire service, the very best ticket to play is held by a fully trained paramedic. I know departments where a starting paramedic can make over $100K/year (with overtime). Several local community colleges have 2-year medic programs.

I am a retired career chief, currently working at the National Fire Academy. My sons have been volunteers for years. One has an AS degree in Fire Science and took every class that Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute (MFRI) offers. Not many more qualified applicants out there. He applied at departments all over the east coast for 3 years. Made the hiring list in many, but not high enough on the list. Finally got hired by Fairfax County VA back in March - his dream department! He is neither a veteran nor a minority, showing that there is hope.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    How would a veteran with the equiv of an AA do in terms of the "competition." Physical agility test should be fine along with the written (went through the "study guide" earlier, fairly easy for me).

I am not certified in anything, but I have documented FF experience from the Navy. Know how to put in an SCBA, turnout gear, etc. Ever Marine is a rifleman, just like every sailor is a FF, bla bla bla.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Unless you know the chief or are a black female, it'll be tough.

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    As a vet, you have an advantage. Proven ability to work as part of a team, life experiences, etc. There will be a lot of applicants who have no firefighting experience, so that's not a big disadvantage. Its a great career, go for it! If you fail this time, keep an eye out for other department announcements. You will be more experienced in the process after having gone through it once.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Yea, i hit 30 and realized I really do not want to sit behind a computer for 35 years. Starting pay is not the greatest, but I figure I should maybe apply and just get a feel for the process, and hey, maybe I will get lucky. Easier to find a job when you have a job :-/

Any idea how long the application process is? That kind of comes into play since I need to coordinate this with my kids starting kindergarten.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Unless you know the chief or are a black female, it'll be tough.
    Not entirely true. The chief only has so many friends. In Baltimore county there will be a mass exit of people in the next couple of years as employees are now reaching the number of years of service needed to take advantage of a deferred retirement option that will pay them handsomely to retire. Now is the best time to seek these soon to be vacant positions as the family and friends hiring plan only goes so far.

Also keep in mind that BCoFD for many years has been purposely understaffed which presents the opportunity to work many callbacks (overtime shifts) at time and a half or up to triple the on certain holidays.

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    Hiring process can take 6 months or longer. Fire academy (once you are hired) can be 6 months, each department is different. Each of applicant needs to be given an equal chance, and it takes a while to do that. In the meantime, you may want to check into your local volunteer FD. Training is free, and you'd get an opportunity to understand the culture and the job.

As Straightshooter notes, there is a big turnover expected - in many of the area FDs - Montgomery County, Baltimore County, Ann Arundel Co., Fairfax Co. and others. There was a hiring surge in the 80's, and a lot of folks are coming up on their 30 year mark. This means lots of opportunities; and the sooner you get hired, the better position you will be in for advancement.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Hiring process can take 6 months or longer. Fire academy (once you are hired) can be 6 months, each department is different. Each of applicant needs to be given an equal chance, and it takes a while to do that. In the meantime, you may want to check into your local volunteer FD. Training is free, and you'd get an opportunity to understand the culture and the job.

As Straightshooter notes, there is a big turnover expected - in many of the area FDs - Montgomery County, Baltimore County, Ann Arundel Co., Fairfax Co. and others. There was a hiring surge in the 80's, and a lot of folks are coming up on their 30 year mark. This means lots of opportunities; and the sooner you get hired, the better position you will be in for advancement.

This.

The number of vacancies occurring from retirements is staggering. As said before, if you don't make it in one process, continue trying. In fact, apply to as many as possible even at the same time.

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    Ann Arundel hired in March or April; Montgomery did a spring class and I have heard that they will be starting a Fall class; Fairfax did a January full class and a March "pop out" for folks with experience, and is planning one or two classes for this fall. I hear that Loudoun County and Alexandria VA and PG MD are headed in that direction soon also.

There are several job boards on the net that list FD recruitment's. Can't recall the address offhand, but a quick search should show up something useful.

The hiring process for most of the fall classes has been underway for months now. Generally, an announcement is made, testing is done, and a list of viable candidates is drawn up. Most departments rank order the names and then start at the top when hiring authority is granted. Sometimes a list can stay active for years before the process starts again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom