Selling Handguns To Out Of State Dealers? Any Recommended Dealers?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I assume I am allowed to drive over to PA, VA or WVA and sell handguns to FFLs. Is that correct?

Does anyone know of any gun dealers (in PA, VA or WVA) that pay fair prices on used guns? I'd sell it privately, but I don't want the hassle.

Thanks.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Frederick Gun Show is this weekend. I know you said out of state but this route you get several different offers in the same space and can choose the best one for you.

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Thanks. How is that gun show? I know it's not as big as Chantilly, but is it worth going to?

Can I bring the handguns into the show, as long as they are in their boxes and unloaded?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I like it, I think the Silverado shows is the bestest in MD.
    You'll have to have the firearms safety checked, I'd recommend a small book bag to carry the boxes and pistols in so you don't have your hands tied up all day.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not trying to talk you out of your plan, but just pointing out ;

1. Even with honest ethical dealer, you will take a big hit on the wholesale value of your used gun vs what you paid new or the asking price of used guns on their shelf.

2. At least half of the dealers will propose to sell it on consignment. Depending on the fine print of their policy that may or may not yield more $ for you. Of course how quickly you are looking for $ vs better deal later is personal factor.

3. Not withstanding regional demand and supply for specific guns, an out of state FFL isn't inherently going to pay more than a Md FFL.

Certain models that are both common and currently having a low wholesale dealer price for nee, or if thr dealer already has several used examples in inventory, they may either decline to purchase, or only extremely low ball.

But yes, Fredrick is a decent show.

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD

1. Even with honest ethical dealer, you will take a big hit on the wholesale value of your used gun vs what you paid new or the asking price of used guns on their shelf.

2. At least half of the dealers will propose to sell it on consignment. Depending on the fine print of their policy that may or may not yield more $ for you. Of course how quickly you are looking for $ vs better deal later is personal factor.

3. Not withstanding regional demand and supply for specific guns, an out of state FFL isn't inherently going to pay more than a Md FFL.

Certain models that are both common and currently having a low wholesale dealer price for nee, or if thr dealer already has several used examples in inventory, they may either decline to purchase, or only extremely low ball.

What do you think is the best way to sell two handguns? I've shied away from person to person because of all the BS of having to include the state police.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011

What do you think is the best way to sell two handguns? I've shied away from person to person because of all the BS of having to include the state police.

Go to a FFL you don't even ha e to meet the buyer.......if the MSP is close its actually easy don't be Intimidated. Or go see a FFL and put it on consignment. That's how I'm selling my guns from here on out Greg at A1Uniform has sold most of my guns in a timely manner and the hit I've taken has been minimal. Plus I don't have to meet any weirdos....Greg does :)

Your kinda far from me so someone can suggest a shop closer but I'm sure if you posted them here too with a price you'd get a bite. I find sub 400 dollar stuff like, Ruger P89, used police trade in, C&R stuff, and cheaper revolvers is what generally moves here in the classifieds........otherwise consign it, set your price and wiggle room and walk away.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    Go to a FFL you don't even ha e to meet the buyer.......if the MSP is close its actually easy don't be Intimidated. Or go see a FFL and put it on consignment. That's how I'm selling my guns from here on out Greg at A1Uniform has sold most of my guns in a timely manner and the hit I've taken has been minimal. Plus I don't have to meet any weirdos....Greg does :)

+1

Ask around or post in the classifieds. When you find a buyer, meet at an agreed upon FFL. Call and make sure they will hold it for the buyer when the paperwork is started, which I'm sure they will. Or find a dealer and put it on consignment. They usually take 10-20% of the sale, but you don't have to deal with the possible headache.

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    I assume I am allowed to drive over to PA, VA or WVA and sell handguns to FFLs. Is that correct?

Does anyone know of any gun dealers (in PA, VA or WVA) that pay fair prices on used guns? I'd sell it privately, but I don't want the hassle.

Thanks.

What are you selling? I'm only a little weird.

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    FNP 45 USG with Trijicon sights.

and

S&W M&P 9c

Both guns have a very low round count. I'm just looking to thin the herd a little.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Think about it.

A used gun has value $X. An FFL is a business. They have to make something on the sale.

So if the value is $X, they will buy it for $X-Y, so they can sell it at $X and make some money.

Y could be a large amount depending on the demand for the particular firearm.

Same as with used cars or pretty much anything.

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Thanks for explaining. As someone who trades bonds for a living, I had no idea about a bid/offer spread. Haha. People are willing to get less from a dealer to avoid the headache of selling privately. I'd rather lose the $100 spread than have to deal with a stranger and worry about inadvertently doing something incorrectly (illegal) during the transfer.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Thanks for explaining. As someone who trades bonds for a living, I had no idea about a bid/offer spread. Haha. People are willing to get less from a dealer to avoid the headache of selling privately. I'd rather lose the $100 spread than have to deal with a stranger and worry about inadvertently doing something incorrectly (illegal) during the transfer.

I've used Tyler Firearms, Halethorpe, 410-921-6393, for the same reason. They will treat you right and do it for a reasonable consignment fee, too.

Lew--Ranger63
    Korea, Vietnam, Vietnam II, W. Germany

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom