• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    So do I need to sign up for the 16 hour ccw training course? I'd expect a run on those courses if we make a few more baby steps in the right direction....

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    So do I need to sign up for the 16 hour ccw training course? I'd expect a run on those courses if we make a few more baby steps in the right direction....

Depends on how big the funnel is. If MSP insists on running them all thru the permit review board, it will still take a long time for a significant number of permits to be approved by the board.

This is where action by the Superintendant would be critical.

I think they only reviewed 6 tonight and only overturned 3 of the 6 ... 5 or 10 per month isn't that many even if the review board approves them all or nearly so.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Gonna follow this closely. We can start to add Wear and Carry Permit Training course dates if it looks like demand will skyrocket...

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Depends on how big the funnel is. If MSP insists on running them all thru the permit review board, it will still take a long time for a significant number of permits to be approved by the board.

This is where action by the Superintendant would be critical.

I think they only reviewed 6 tonight and only overturned 3 of the 6 ... 5 or 10 per month isn't that many even if the review board approves them all or nearly so.

At some point, the review board actions will highlight that the MSP licensing division is not doing their job and this needs to be fixed before getting to the review stage.

For this reason, the next review board meeting, and the composition of the cases (whether they are clear denials based on other criteria or were denials based on S&S) may be important in furthering this argument.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    At some point, the review board actions will highlight that the MSP licensing division is not doing their job and this needs to be fixed before getting to the review stage.

For this reason, the next review board meeting, and the composition of the cases (whether they are clear denials based on other criteria or were denials based on S&S) may be important in furthering this argument.

Disagree...all that is going to happen is Mike & Mike along with the rest of the MGA are going to enact tighter gun permit restrictions....it's way too early to be farting sprinkles......I strongly believe that this backdoor strategy is gong to have grave, unintended consequences...

unicorn_farts_by_sunny_pineapple_15-d3925ey.jpg

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Bring them on.

This "backdoor strategy" is functioning more and more as it should have been all along. It's been used as a weapon by the Dems of past to stymie the amount of permits and it had been running amok of the law. They never held any of this in compliance with the OMA, and in the very least hadnt changed any practices despite Heller, McDonald, and Woolard all essentially overriding Scherr and Snowden.

In a post riot (1) Baltimore, yeah... Let them try to dismantle what's been done. Right now, we're pretty much the only folks who even know what the HPRB is. That won't be the case if they want to make this fight public.

One of last night's reviews was a female nurse that lives close to Johns Hopkins hospital. She said in her letter of support that she isn't a "gun fanatic", but knows that her handgun is faster than the police. She held an attacker at gun point in her home in the past for nearly 30 minutes before police arrived and waited 40 after being attacked in the street. It's folks like her that will be brought into the light should the MGA try their hijinx. Not so sure that's the "war on women" they'd like to adopt :innocent0

The times they are a changin...

stringer bell

Aug 20, 2014
    so... as long as you submit your permit application stating that you have received threats from say your local roving band of disadvantage youth, you no longer need documentation and may see approval in the appeal process...

cool. looks its time to write a short story!!!

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013

Tail wagging the dog.

Point #2, Call me sexist, but I can't understand how any non prohibited female is denied a permit. When one looks at the misuse of handguns, I think men have women beat by quite a margin. Just in terms of biology, an average woman is no match in an attack by a male. Let them have that equalizer. Anyone with Mom, Wife, sisters disagree?

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Tail wagging the dog.

Point #2, Call me sexist, but I can't understand how any non prohibited female is denied a permit. When one looks at the misuse of handguns, I think men have women beat by quite a margin. Just in terms of biology, an average woman is no match in an attack by a male. Let them have that equalizer. Anyone with Mom, Wife, sisters disagree?

I don't disagree, but by the same token, a violent attack whether on the street, or as a home invasion is rarely perpetrated by just one individual. With multiple attackers against even the biggest baddest male, there is a large disparity of force. So I say let males also have "that equalizer".

Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County
    those who were present;

I'm hearing rumors that one of the overturned apps was a military member with general threats from terror orgs as a justification....can you confirm or debunk the rumor?

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    those who were present;

I'm hearing rumors that one of the overturned apps was a military member with general threats from terror orgs as a justification....can you confirm or debunk the rumor?

Rumors they are not :)

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    This "backdoor strategy" is functioning more and more as it should have been all along.
    My critique of this strategy is that I don't see how it scales. The HPRB meets every two weeks and looks at like six cases. That means you're going to get maybe 156 people through per year, and that's assuming every single person gets an overturn (which isn't going to happen) and that they really meet every two weeks (which is also iffy). While I freely admit that slight loosening of G&S standards at the HPRB level is definitely positive movement, we still need to win this battle at the MSP level to really get to the point where you can apply for a permit and not spend 9-12 months fighting it out to maybe win at the HPRB. This is not to mention the longer-term problem that the HPRB is subject to appointment by the governor...

It is very unclear to me whether even a total change of heart by the HPRB will have any effect whatsoever on what the MSP does, even in the long-term. I don't want to be overly pessimistic, but it seems like people are clinging to minor wins as huge victories with what's going on in the HPRB.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    My critique of this strategy is that I don't see how it scales. The HPRB meets every two weeks and looks at like six cases. That means you're going to get maybe 156 people through per year, and that's assuming every single person gets an overturn (which isn't going to happen) and that they really meet every two weeks (which is also iffy). While I freely admit that slight loosening of G&S standards at the HPRB level is definitely positive movement, we still need to win this battle at the MSP level to really get to the point where you can apply for a permit and not spend 9-12 months fighting it out to maybe win at the HPRB. This is not to mention the longer-term problem that the HPRB is subject to appointment by the governor...

It is very unclear to me whether even a total change of heart by the HPRB will have any effect whatsoever on what the MSP does, even in the long-term. I don't want to be overly pessimistic, but it seems like people are clinging to minor wins as huge victories with what's going on in the HPRB.

Of course it doesn't....nor will it be permitted to happen without a serious backlash from the powers that be.....but you can't tell that to those that think they somehow have found a way for everyone that wants one to get one.....I will guarantee that the likes of Frosh along with Mike & Mike follow such matters and the worse is yet to come.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom