• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    My wife moved up from Florida last year, and since then sold her only handgun, which we transfered through MSP. Since we have proof she owned one and it was through MSP, does she have to do a class still? There is drama coming near her work and want to cover all the bases..

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    good question since the law exempts training for those who

[FONT=&quot](6) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]LAWFULLY OWNS A REGULATED FIREARM[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]
    the word is owns, not owned. you could try and enter the model and serial and see if MSP HQL site accepts it to make her training exempt. The gun doesn't even have to be bought in MD. The statute says if you own a regulated firearm. no mention of a requirement for it to be transferred through MSP.

MSP does not remove info from the 77r when a gun is sold. your decision as to how to proceed.

this is not legal advice..

IANAL.

From MSP web site:

Attachments

• msp.JPG
      msp.JPG
      82.2 KB · Views: 273

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    My wife moved up from Florida last year, and since then sold her only handgun, which we transfered through MSP. Since we have proof she owned one and it was through MSP, does she have to do a class still? There is drama coming near her work and want to cover all the bases..

Short answer, no, she still has own a regulated firearm she is using as an exemption.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Short answer, no, she still has own a regulated firearm she is using as an exemption.

Correct, except MSP's outdated, non-updated registry typically does allow a person to use any handgun that's in their registry for that person. We had a customer use a handgun they just bought (C&R) the same day he picked up. MSP didn't have a record of that yet (said state of purchase MD). Hat customer had previously owned handguns purchased in MD but all had been sold. MSP called and ended up just, "using one of the ones under his name."

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    bingo. they created the precedent then. OK for MSP, OK for us?

IANAL but someone in this thread is.

BTW the statute says "owns a regulated firearm". To me, that could be any legally purchased firearm defined under MD statute as regulated, the location of the purchase is not stipulated.

Is this wrong?

mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    This is my question. We have the transfer records for her handgun being sold after the Unsafe act went into effect. Is there somewhere with MSP that could answer this question directly?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    This is my question. We have the transfer records for her handgun being sold after the Unsafe act went into effect. Is there somewhere with MSP that could answer this question directly?

All of the answers above are the same, she has to "OWN" the firearm she is using for the exemption. But if you would like to contact MSP, contact the Licensing division and ask for 1st Sgt Casey or Captain Bradey.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Another option. Have her buy/transfer a cheap C&R handgun at a MD FFL. She does the 77R with the C&R exception checked off to avoid needing the HQL. After she picks up the handgun 7 days later, she can use that handgun's serial number to skip the HQL training requirement when applying for her HQL.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    According to Nate, in another case, MSP allowed a previously sold firearm serial number to be used to be HQL training exempt. I'd do as Dblas recommends and call MSP and see if they would allow it again.

If you are told it's OK, I'd get the Troopers name if it's approved.

Correct, except MSP's outdated, non-updated registry typically does allow a person to use any handgun that's in their registry for that person. We had a customer use a handgun they just bought (C&R) the same day he picked up. MSP didn't have a record of that yet (said state of purchase MD). That customer had previously owned handguns purchased in MD but all had been sold. MSP called and ended up just, "using one of the ones under his name."

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    He says she moved up from Florida. Why would the handgun be in the MSP database under her name? Did she buy it in Maryland or in Florida? I would think it'd be in their database under the new purchaser's name only since I'm assuming she initially bought it out of state.

mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    It was bought in Florida, but sold in Maryland. To sell implies you owned it TO sell it. But yes, the present tense or past tense wording could be an issue.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    It was bought in Florida, but sold in Maryland. To sell implies you owned it TO sell it. But yes, the present tense or past tense wording could be an issue.

No question on the issue, she HAS to have current possession of it, because once she uses the regulated firearm info, it gets registered to her by MSP, and will forever be registered to her.

The fact that it was sold in Maryland has absolutely nothing to do with the issue. The basic fact that is HAS been sold does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom