• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • missing_the_cheese

Dec 29, 2012
    Perry Hall
    Guys,
    I'm installing a parallax tactical keymod rail on my AR and I'm running into an issue with the barrel nut. Their proprietary design is a sleeve nut with 1-1/8" x 1/2" flats so to torque it I would need a crows foot socket to go on my wrench. Problem is that I'm trying to find a socket that big and I've nearly exhausted all sources (HD, Lowes, Sears, Auto stores, etc). I've seen the part on the snap-on site however I'd rather not drop $50+ bucks on a one time use tool. Do any of you have an idea on where I should continue the search?

Here's a link to the rail itself:
    http://parallaxtactical.com/products/pxt-ffssr-keymod-free-float-rail-13-for-ar-15

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    Guys,
    I'm installing a parallax tactical keymod rail on my AR and I'm running into an issue with the barrel nut. Their proprietary design is a sleeve nut with 1-1/8" x 1/2" flats so to torque it I would need a crows foot socket to go on my wrench. Problem is that I'm trying to find a socket that big and I've nearly exhausted all sources (HD, Lowes, Sears, Auto stores, etc). I've seen the part on the snap-on site however I'd rather not drop $50+ bucks on a one time use tool. Do any of you have an idea on where I should continue the search?

Here's a link to the rail itself:
    http://parallaxtactical.com/products/pxt-ffssr-keymod-free-float-rail-13-for-ar-15

The torque rating, for the barrel nut iirc is 30-60ft-lb. That is not a lot of torque. If you have a die grinder, I would say just make one from a piece of low carbon plate, but that depends on your tools and abilities.

madchestermonkey

Pond straddler
    Oct 10, 2012
    Lowcountry SC
    If its only a one time thing then buy a cheap stubby 1 1/8 combination and get a bolt and a few nuts, Lock the nut and bolt together and then put a socket on the combination end. the length of the wrench will add to your torque so stay on the low end of the settings.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I installed the same rail. The first crows foot I got on Amazon was too thick to fit the flats. So you need to check that dimension too. It was too hard to grind down. Ended up just using a box wrench.

Wiley

MDS Supporter
    Jul 23, 2013
    Montgomery County
    My biggest crows foot is 1" - Can you use a regular socket (standard or deep) or open end wrench? Be glad to loan to you if convenient.

RT468

Feb 19, 2009
    Catonsville Md
    I opened up a 27mm open ended wrench a hair,thinking needed 1 1/16 and then narrowed it to fit in the slot. $10 Lowes wrench must have had too much leverage or 30-60 lbs isn't all that much torque.T.R.I.M nut cracked in three spots that I can see.Bought a set of the crowsfoot wrenches after that but wouldn't you know it they are too wide.Hate to modify one of these to make it work,although I don't think Wilson Combat will send out another free replacement if I eff this one up.Tough call to make.Modify the tool and void the warranty or break it down to the cost factor.Probably cheaper to buy an unmodded crowsfoot than to have to buy another barrel nut.That's my related dilemma.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Where are you located?
    If that doesn't work, go buy one and return it. Also Harbor Freight should be able to help you... cheap.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    It's been a pretty good while since I bought them, but I got a set of crows foot wrenches from Harbor Freight for something like $14. They're cheap, but they work.

jessebogan

Feb 25, 2012
    Where are you located? I am in Rockville and could loan you one, as long as loan don't mean forever...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom