kid friendly hunter safety course/instructor?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Capt-D

Aug 13, 2012
    Looking for some recommendations for a hunter safety course/instructor for my soon to be 9 year old. He has been hunting and shooting with me since he was 3 and wants to get his license this fall. I understand the seriousness of the instruction but want someone that "kid friendly" in attitude and excitement of the instruction. We all know kids retain more when they are engaged and I don't need a grumpy old instructor ruining this for him. As an example I still remember the cool retired col. that taught me when I was 10 because he was fun and engaging and that is what I want for my son. Thanks in advance! PS im in AACO.

-D

Dreago

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2009
    The one at Meyer Station is a good one. I took my daughter there and they will actually read the test to the kids at the end to make sure they could understand it.

biermkr

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2007
    Almost Heaven
    Almost as important is that you be willing to help the instructor teach your 9-year old child. Most failures on the written test are children under the age of 11 whose parents rely only on the in-class instruction to get their child through the class successfully.

The classroom instructors at the Damascus IWLA do a good job relating to younger students. Most of us have/had our own children and can relate to your concerns.

Good luck to your son and happy hunting!

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    I took it at Thurmont. It was a great class. I drove all the way out there because they were the only place that had weeknight only classes.

The instructors were great and took a lot of time to present it well to kids. There were a bunch of kids there and they all passed the written as well as the field test.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Looking for some recommendations for a hunter safety course/instructor for my soon to be 9 year old. He has been hunting and shooting with me since he was 3 and wants to get his license this fall. I understand the seriousness of the instruction but want someone that "kid friendly" in attitude and excitement of the instruction. We all know kids retain more when they are engaged and I don't need a grumpy old instructor ruining this for him. As an example I still remember the cool retired col. that taught me when I was 10 because he was fun and engaging and that is what I want for my son. Thanks in advance! PS im in AACO.

-D

Stoney Creek Fishing and Hunting Club.

Next one Scheduled for June 15th. Go online to DNR website to find it and sign up. There are also courses at Meyers Station and Glenbrook Rifle. We usually have a spring class or 2 as well...but not on the calendar at this time and haven't talked to our Chief Instructor lately, so not sure what's going on there.\

Edit (update): Just talked to our Chief Instructor, Jon, and since the internet class is going over big, our traditional classroom has become mostly kids and they are trying to limit those classes to June, July and Aug when the kids are out of school. Meanwhile trying to expand the number of Field Days associated with Internet classes to more days in summer and fall than we had in the past. So, June 15 is when our next traditional class begins. You can find Hunter's Safety Classes and sign up for them here: http://register-ed.com/programs/maryland/88-maryland-hunter-education-classroom-course

I will tell you this, all the various courses are meant to be relatively 'kid friendly'. However, I really believe Stoney Creek goes above and beyond in trying to keep kids engaged and helping them with their tests. The main concern to have is that the booklet and test questions are written to an approximately 5th grade reading level. However, a relatively bright kid younger than 5th grade can and often do pass. We have had kids as young as 1st grade to pass although many from about 8 years or younger will fail. We do have instructors to read the test for those kids with reading comprehension issues or who might be young enough to struggle a bit with terminology (as well as those few adults who read poorly or not at all). In that group where the test is read, asking questions for clarification is encouraged

Capt-D

Aug 13, 2012
    Thanks everyone for the information. We have been going over the material in the book and I try to relate it to what we have seen and done during our hunting. I will look into stoney creek as it is the closest. He actually has been with me at trap night there and that was actually the first place I took him at 3 years of age to experience using ear muffs and gun noise.

Thanks again

-D

Capt-D

Aug 13, 2012
    So this is my followup to the original post and for me it is a great one:

So I ended up signing him up for the June Hunter Safety Class at Stoney Creek Rod and Gun Club.

Last Friday night was the culmination of 6 years of hunting by my side, a summer of hard work to pass his hunter's safety and the willingness to pass on a small 4 point and a button buck in his first hunts. I couldn't be more proud of him. 120 yards, double lung with a muzzloader. 40 yard track in the and he powered through his fear of the dark. Great day for this 9 year old! I am not ashamed to say that I teared up during our celebration of finding him. Not bad for his first deer! I can say he helped make this the best hunt of life!

Attachments

• 12036881_10153285472038253_2917255758432568189_n.jpg
      12036881_10153285472038253_2917255758432568189_n.jpg
      101.5 KB · Views: 136
    • 10410953_10153286008548253_2781281181843904580_n.jpg
      10410953_10153286008548253_2781281181843904580_n.jpg
      39.6 KB · Views: 131

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    So this is my followup to the original post and for me it is a great one:

So I ended up signing him up for the June Hunter Safety Class at Stoney Creek Rod and Gun Club.

Last Friday night was the culmination of 6 years of hunting by my side, a summer of hard work to pass his hunter's safety and the willingness to pass on a small 4 point and a button buck in his first hunts. I couldn't be more proud of him. 120 yards, double lung with a muzzloader. 40 yard track in the and he powered through his fear of the dark. Great day for this 9 year old! I am not ashamed to say that I teared up during our celebration of finding him. Not bad for his first deer! I can say he helped make this the best hunt of life!

What an awesome story ... and great pics ... and impressive deer. :thumbsup:

Thanks for coming back to share the update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom