• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Whats your thoughts on The Gun Rack..... I never made a purchase with them, but they are an authorized CZ dealer so I was thinking of doing business with them. I called up there trying to chase a VZ58 down and they have them in stock, but the guy said it an AK so its regulated. Now I know its not regulated. Should I deal with them because they have what I want, or wait and go some where else because they are ignorant?

Also any one own a CZ83? and whats your thoughts?

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I have done quite a bit of business with them, their prices are not the lowest, but not the highest. Depending on who's behind the counter they can be a tad cool at first. Them like many shops will error on the side of caution as to what is and isn't regulated. With Maryland's gun laws so clear cut and well defined can't really blame any gun shop.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    I've dealt with the Gun Rack for many years, and am a satisfied customer.

If they're saying that the VZ58 is regulated (probably out of an abundance of caution), however, then just toodle on over to Engage Armament in Kensington. They've said online here that they sell the VZ58 as unregulated, since it's definitely not an AK.

Bryan

navycrna

Smell My Face
    Feb 28, 2007
    howard county
    I have bought quite a few things from them over the years. Never had any complaints with them and have always been east to deal with.

John2510

Feb 15, 2011
    Silver Spring, since 1973
    I've recently bought a couple of guns from them. They gave me a little break for buying two. I dealt with them in the store and at a show. They were helpful and seemed like really good folks.
    I needed a little guidance, and didn't perceive the aloof arrogance you sometimes get from gun dealers. They seemed to enjoy helping me and sharing their knowledge of the hobby we share... as it should be.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Ive purchased from them. I agree that at first they weren't really warm towards me. I ended up going back a few times and definitely got better interactions. I did end up buying. Good shop.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Walk in and talk to them, I can think they are selling VZ58's as regulated, they dont sell SIg 556's as regulated etc.

The owner can be a little gruff and definately has a small chip on his shoulder and are a little pricey. BUt they have always been good to deal with, honest, and accomodating. So I would say I am satisfied.

I have made a few purchases from them, probably will in the future.

MessedUpMike

Jan 29, 2011
    As they are a stocking CZ dealer I spend more time in there than any other store. I can't recommend them highly enough. Sometimes I'm willing to pay a little more to get better service

Trey

Aug 20, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah their CZ selection is wonderful, I love drooling on the display case.

Their prices tend to be high, but I think they do haggle if you have any skill in that area.

RollTide

Dec 31, 2010
    Greenbelt
    I've dealt with the Gun Rack for many years, and am a satisfied customer.

If they're saying that the VZ58 is regulated (probably out of an abundance of caution), however, then just toodle on over to Engage Armament in Kensington. They've said online here that they sell the VZ58 as unregulated, since it's definitely not an AK.

Bryan
    Just picked up a czechpoint VZ 58 from Andy at Engage last week. Not regulated

RollTide

Dec 31, 2010
    Greenbelt
    Whats your thoughts on The Gun Rack..... I never made a purchase with them, but they are an authorized CZ dealer so I was thinking of doing business with them. I called up there trying to chase a VZ58 down and they have them in stock, but the guy said it an AK so its regulated. Now I know its not regulated. Should I deal with them because they have what I want, or wait and go some where else because they are ignorant?

Also any one own a CZ83? and whats your thoughts?
    You looking for the D-technik aka Czech Small Arms Vz58(this is what CZ use to have and Czechpoint now sells) or the VZ 2008 by Century. I have heard good things about the century although I don't own that one. I can vouch for the D-technik

Last edited:

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    I have never bought anything from them. I have looked several times at shows and twice in the shop. I found them a little cold also - not nasty or anything but could have been a little more enthusiastic to help I feel.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    You looking for the D-technik aka Czech Small Arms Vz58(this is what CZ use to have and Czechpoint now sells) or the VZ 2008 by Century. I have heard good things about the century although I don't own that one. I can vouch for the D-technik

Czechpoint VZ58..... I am not a big fan of Century.

Wiley-X

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 25, 2011
    I used to pop in there when I was in that part of the county. I was never impressed by the level of service or professionalism. Most times, it is apparent that the guy behind the counter wants to scurry into the back to resume whatever it was he was doing. Once I had my five or six year old son with me and they went nuts when he picked up some merchandise that had fallen onto the floor in order to give it to me. No it wasn't a box of ammo or anything like that, it was something pretty innocuous like a holster. Then there was the time that I was in there and they were selling a guy a supposed WW II vintage 1911. The slide was vintage but the frame was commercial.

Not a place for me.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I pre-ordered my Varminter from them (they took the preorder when the rifle was first covered and still unavailable) years back. I've gotten a couple things from them even though I now moonlight at a shop. Al's always been cool with me, Hugh's a nice guy, and Mike is a very knowledgeable source for information on rare and collectible foreign weapons.

If you spend any amount of time there, you rapidly realize that they put up with a huge amount of BS due to their location.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom