• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    I think I understand, but can anyone explain in a nutshell why these work for trap ( and then why not for hunting guns too...)

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    Trap is always shot on a rising target(unless you wait too long, in which case it's a falling bird) so it makes sense to have a high rib to put the point of impact (POI), here the center of the pattern, above the point of aim.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    They aren't exagerated, as they do serve a purpose. Adjusting your POI "high" is the point of the rib. I have a more "normal" rib on my clay gun which shoots ~60/40 which means 60% of the pellets will be above my POA. I shoot Trap, Skeet, Sporting, 5stand, whatever, with that same gun, hence why I like a slightly higher than 50/50 POI. Guys that shoot quite a bit of singles trap seem to tend to have a break open single shot with a high rib. This means you'll have less movement from hold point to where you'll break the target, which should equate to more targets broke on average and less chance you'll screw it up :D.

I shoot quite a bit of shotgun during the spring/summer/fall. This summer I went and shot at the "Grand American" in Sparta Illinois. Trap fields as far as the eye can see...and thousands of people shooting at the same time. It was a pretty cool experience, even if I got my shit rocked :D :lol2:

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Trap is always shot on a rising target(unless you wait too long, in which case it's a falling bird) so it makes sense to have a high rib to put the point of impact (POI), here the center of the pattern, above the point of aim.

^this

I shoot a lot of trap with a gun that does not have a tall rib. To hit a bird rising directly away, I have to sight the bird, then raise the gun so I cannot see the target, and then shoot basically blind within a quick second.

Result is I am good at crossers and marginal at rising away birds. Of course the gun is really good for sporting clays.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    ^this

I shoot a lot of trap with a gun that does not have a tall rib. To hit a bird rising directly away, I have to sight the bird, then raise the gun so I cannot see the target, and then shoot basically blind within a quick second.

Result is I am good at crossers and marginal at rising away birds. Of course the gun is really good for sporting clays.

Just a question but...I have a friend that used to work in DC for a State Representative and shot a bunch of sporting clays apparently while he was there. Did you ever by chance shoot with a guy named Travis Couture-Lovelady. He's ~28, and generally pretty competitive. He only has 1 eye (lost one being a blocker pheasant hunting as a kid), but most don't know that unless they've been around him for a while.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Adjusting POI is one reason, another is being able to keep your head upright to keep your eyes on the bird.
    DSCN0174.jpg

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    Is there any add-on one could make to a standard vent-rib barrel to make it more suitable for trap? Maybe an elevated sight of some sort for the rear of the vent?....

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    First of all, a high rib has nothing to do with the point of impact. A high rib simply allows you to shoot with your head in a more upright position. In this way, you have better and more natural vision than you would have by placing your head lower and essentially looking through the top of your eyes. It also allows for less eye strain, which is important when shooting 200 targets or more in a day. The biggest advantage is that you see better, see the target better and see the target sooner.

That said, there are also high ribs that are adjustable in order to change the point of impact. With a fixed rib, low or high, the POI is determined by the angle of the rib. Secondly, POI is determined by your fit to the gun. If sight picture of the bead show a figure 8, the gun should have a POI close to what's advertised. If you see the rib between the beads, it'll shoot higher. If you see one bead (one blotting out the other, it'll shoot low. The figure 8 look is seldom a perfect out of the box fit. That's the reason for both adjustable ribs and adjustable combs.

Yes, you can install an add-on rib. The foremost maker of there is a company called Keen-Site (sp?). I have one on a 391 Trap (4 sale, btw). The POI of the gun will be the same, but if you want a higher shooting gun, then the rib can be made with enough pitch to meet your needs. Keen-Site also makes adjustable add-on ribs. The downside to the add-on approach is that add-on ribs can be expensive, usually in the ballpark of $300 and up. Once you add height to the rib, you will also need to install an adjustable comb with extra high pins and this will be another $200. Then of course, it will take time to adjust to shooting a different style with an essentially different gun.

POI should have nothing to do with shooting a straightaway vs a hard angle. Shooting speed should be the same on these, so they are both rising at the same speed when the trigger is pulled.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    if the high rib is aimed (high?), why wouldn't the barrel shoot low.... ?

or are the ribs not parallel to the barrel??

If you look at them they are like a ramp back to the shooter. They are specialized for one particular event much lika a top fuel dragster. If you want to be a top competitor at anything you need to specialize your gear to your event. A topfuel would not make a good circle track car or commuter but there is nothing stopping you from taking your everyday car to the track and running 31.07s all day much like many shoot trap and skeet with Wal-Mart 870/500s.

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    First of all, a high rib has nothing to do with the point of impact. A high rib simply allows you to shoot with your head in a more upright position. In this way, you have better and more natural vision than you would have by placing your head lower and essentially looking through the top of your eyes. It also allows for less eye strain, which is important when shooting 200 targets or more in a day. The biggest advantage is that you see better, see the target better and see the target sooner.

That said, there are also high ribs that are adjustable in order to change the point of impact. With a fixed rib, low or high, the POI is determined by the angle of the rib. Secondly, POI is determined by your fit to the gun. If sight picture of the bead show a figure 8, the gun should have a POI close to what's advertised. If you see the rib between the beads, it'll shoot higher. If you see one bead (one blotting out the other, it'll shoot low. The figure 8 look is seldom a perfect out of the box fit. That's the reason for both adjustable ribs and adjustable combs.

Yes, you can install an add-on rib. The foremost maker of there is a company called Keen-Site (sp?). I have one on a 391 Trap (4 sale, btw). The POI of the gun will be the same, but if you want a higher shooting gun, then the rib can be made with enough pitch to meet your needs. Keen-Site also makes adjustable add-on ribs. The downside to the add-on approach is that add-on ribs can be expensive, usually in the ballpark of $300 and up. Once you add height to the rib, you will also need to install an adjustable comb with extra high pins and this will be another $200. Then of course, it will take time to adjust to shooting a different style with an essentially different gun.

POI should have nothing to do with shooting a straightaway vs a hard angle. Shooting speed should be the same on these, so they are both rising at the same speed when the trigger is pulled.

Good info, thanks :thumbsup:!

Would an add-on rib work well with an O/U or do they work best for single shot trap guns? I really like the idea of my head sitting higher up and straighter. I would assume you would need an adjustable comb or an add-on cheek pad to match the height of the new additional rib?

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    HardHatMan,

I higher rib is beneficial on any target gun, but it's not for everyone. It requires some time to get used to, as you end up with your shooting stance changed a bit as well. I think that they are mostly beneficial in trap, yet more and more companies are offering high rib sporting guns as well. I tried a high rib K80 Sporter before buying my recent K80 and opted for the low rib - I just don't like to make radical changes for sporting clays. Yet, I shoot a high rib or mid rib trap gun fairly well - different game.

In addition to the add-on ribs, you can also have the existing rib removed and a high rib installed. Moneymaker does these in steel, while other companies, such as Devault Industries, will build them in Delron (sp?).

Mason-Dixon,

Most ribs are not parallel to the bore unless they shoot a true 50/50 POI. Most target guns shoot about 60/40, so the rib is then a tad higher on the back than it is on the muzzle end. Better trap guns can be ordered with a very high POI, but most today have adjustable ribs for fine tuning your POI. Some are as much as 120% high for the faster shooters or those who want to see some daylight under the target.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Just a question but...I have a friend that used to work in DC for a State Representative and shot a bunch of sporting clays apparently while he was there. Did you ever by chance shoot with a guy named Travis Couture-Lovelady. He's ~28, and generally pretty competitive. He only has 1 eye (lost one being a blocker pheasant hunting as a kid), but most don't know that unless they've been around him for a while.
    :off topic:

I have not shot with him. TBH I know of very few shooters in DC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom