• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    I dont have all the figures but you'll probably find rehab/home improvement will be cheaper than total demo. You'll need to leave a percentage of the old and build around that. Im sure the contractor will fill you in. Good luck and have fun!

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I dont have all the figures but you'll probably find rehab/home improvement will be cheaper than total demo. You'll need to leave a percentage of the old and build around that. Im sure the contractor will fill you in. Good luck and have fun!

cheaper, yes. But sometimes its better in the long run to just start over.

Perhaps I missed it. Is this something to retire in, or just an investment?
    also, is the property just really deep? Because it looks like the neighboring house is pretty close :shrug:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

Perhaps I missed it. Is this something to retire in, or just an investment?
    also, is the property just really deep? Because it looks like the neighboring house is pretty close :shrug:

Yes, it is more narrow than wide. Retirement. The house I will be decrepit and die in.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

Is this property on well and septic ?

IF you 'start over', you need to have sprinklers and a 'best available technology' septic. Also, your house has to be built to current energy efficiency codes. So in a neighborhood of homes of a given size and price, your home will always be 100k higher than the competing homes. No problem if you choose to grow old and decrepit in that neighborhood (kids are a block a way, it is close to your bridge club or the VFW ;-) ), but if your future plans involve moving somewhere else, it can be an issue. Most of the 'start over' development happens in areas where there is enough pressure for people to turn a property with a 1800sqft ranch into a 5000sqft McMansion.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Yeah. As we are talking and looking into this more, it looks to be more complicated and would easily get into 400k. The land is the blue ribbon winner here and the bank is not going to give it away.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Yeah. As we are talking and looking into this more, it looks to be more complicated and would easily get into 400k. The land is the blue ribbon winner here and the bank is not going to give it away.

I'm happy with the little we paid for our current house considering where it is. But when I start thinking about 300-500k houses in the future, I start to think about how much more house/land that gets you in other parts of the country.

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    I'm happy with the little we paid for our current house considering where it is. But when I start thinking about 300-500k houses in the future, I start to think about how much more house/land that gets you in other parts of the country.
    Amen brother, my brother in law and his soon to be wife just moved out to Colorado, just about an hour outside of Denver and they got 10 acres and a NICE house and the property has 3 Pole Barns, one with a fully setup machine/wood shop under $400K. Makes me wish my kids were a bit older so we wouldn't have to worry too much about the school systems and such, thats why we are stuck here in MoCo.

Heres what 400K will get you in Colorado.

13230_10205660002085880_6488622782307159458_n.jpg

10402409_10205660001965877_6085677698047051856_n.jpg

1509280_10205660002285885_2408728564232807140_n.jpg

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Amen brother, my brother in law and his soon to be wife just moved out to Colorado, just about an hour outside of Denver and they got 10 acres and a NICE house and the property has 3 Pole Barns, one with a fully setup machine/wood shop under $400K. Makes me wish my kids were a bit older so we wouldn't have to worry too much about the school systems and such, thats why we are stuck here in MoCo.

Heres what 400K will get you in Colorado.

13230_10205660002085880_6488622782307159458_n.jpg

10402409_10205660001965877_6085677698047051856_n.jpg

1509280_10205660002285885_2408728564232807140_n.jpg
    That is awesome! Beautiful!

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Build your "forever house" in MD....come on man.

It literally blows me away when you look at what 300k buys you elsewhere in this country.

Find some place that wont tax your retirement and relocate.

I plan on going full retirement mode. I want a 65 over community where I don't have to lift a finger outside.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Check into any new building codes. I know if Harford Co, in the past 5 years, just in permits, required building code and state wide regulations, new construction costs up to $50K more and that has no bearing on the type of house you are getting. Rehabbing may be your best approach if possible.

Plus impact fee? If he starts over from scratch with a new foundation, will the county charge an impact fee? It's at least $30K where I am and at least $50K in two neighboring counties. That fee is straight off the top and includes nothing else.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    This house may have many unseen issues. Previous owner made some agreements with AA County about an experimental Sewage disposal system. For which the county gave a 12k grant. With that, what looks to me (IANAL) restrictions on additions or changes to current house.
    Has to be a reason a 500K house is selling for 1/2 that amount.
    Contact the County, get stuff in writing and trust NO ONE.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Yeah, no way you are going to be building something decent for $130k.

Now, 2.5 acres for $234k in Annapolis is pretty good if it is in a decent part of Annapolis. My sister paid close to $400k for a postage stamp lot across the road from the Naval Academy Stadium. Thing is, she is walking distance from the State House, harbor, etc. Then, she spent north of $300k for a pre-fab house that is around 4,000 sf.

You might be able to get something built for $130k, but it would not be playa playa worthy.

4,000 sq ft on a postage stamp??? That's not exactly a baby sized house. :confused:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    4,000 sq ft on a postage stamp??? That's not exactly a baby sized house. :confused:

Never said it was a baby sized house. Just that it is a baby sized lot. She is the minimum distance from the neighbor behind her, which if I had to guess would be somewhere around 10 feet. Way too close to that fence for my liking. The steps to her front door lead right down to the street. She is on a corner lot, and if they built a garage on the house there would be very little grass left.

Then again, maybe I am used to 2 acres and everything else is small. At my other sister's house in Chevy Chase, the driveway runs between the sunroom and the neighbor's retaining wall. I can barely squeeze my truck through to get to the parking pad in the back of the property.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom