• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Greetings all,

The Big Brown Truck stopped by today and dropped this off. It's a Mauser C96 1920's rework in 7.63 Mauser. The numbers are matching and it has NS in script on the back of the hammer, this stands for "new safety". The bore has a little pitting and the rifling looks worn, it did clean up nice though. This may be normal, I've never seen a picture of what the normal rifling looks like. It kind of reminds me of the rifling in my CZ82. This C96 is made by WAFFENFABRIK MAUSER OBERNDORF A NECKAR. I'm looking forward to taking this to the range. If I can find ammo that is.

Attachments

• m1.jpg
      m1.jpg
      107.3 KB · Views: 500
    • m2.jpg
      m2.jpg
      121.3 KB · Views: 500
    • m3.jpg
      m3.jpg
      109.1 KB · Views: 499

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    It's a beauty that's for sure. I've always wanted one too but could never justify the purchase.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Congratulations! Definitely a "Bolo" (slang for Bolshevik). Original survivors are getting hard to find. So many came into the country from the Far East and were in horrible condition, inside and out. The vast majority were refinished and rebuilt (like mine) and are fun shooters. So many were also reworked to 9mm Luger when their original bores were worn out.

Congratulations! Definitely a "Bolo" (slang for Bolshevik). Original survivors are getting hard to find. So many came into the country from the Far East and were in horrible condition, inside and out. The vast majority were refinished and rebuilt (like mine) and are fun shooters. So many were also reworked to 9mm Luger when their original bores were worn out.

Just for the sake of "what if" do any of you know where I could get my C96 reworked to 9mm Luger if the need ever arises? I don't want this to eventually become a wall hanger.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Just for the sake of "what if" do any of you know where I could get my C96 reworked to 9mm Luger if the need ever arises? I don't want this to eventually become a wall hanger.

Years ago I bought one from a company, either called Mentor or was in Mentor OH. It had a barrel liner and shot about 1 foot to the right at 15 yards. A POS and they charged me a hefty restocking fee.

That doesn't mean that barrel liners are bad, just don't have Mentor do the work. I'd like to hear what people who shoot these do about the original springs.

makijo

May 31, 2013
    Catonsville
    Very nice acquisition. Big Brown visited me last week and said I deliver to someone a few block over with the same last name as you and from the same place...I said yea, my brother. Funny how that works out.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Nice one to add to the collection, Please do not try 7.62 x 25 Mil-sup rounds in your Mauser C96, it can't handle Tokarev ammo, the rounds are very similar and will load but the 7.62x25 Tokarev round are too hot for a Mauser C96.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I never really appreciated these pistols or even liked them till recently. Now when I look at the engineering and machining expertise involved, it is truly amazing what could be done way back when. Now, I WANT ONE..hahahahaha. Keep us posted on how it shoots and any luck converting it. Ammo should be available for it.

Nice one to add to the collection, Please do not try 7.62 x 25 Mil-sup rounds in your Mauser C96, it can't handle Tokarev ammo, the rounds are very similar and will load but the 7.62x25 Tokarev round are too hot for a Mauser C96.

I'm not one to try/use ammo in a firearm that it wasn't designed for. Also, I do not load/use hot loads of any kind. I'm strictly a recommended start load guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom