• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    I have been using CFE 223 for my 223 plinking rounds. I am loading 55 grain Hornady FMJ bullets. I have not been able to find an 8lb container of CFE 223 for the last couple weeks. I am considering using a different powder. Are there any Copper Fouling Reducing powders I can use as an alternative?

Someone at a Gun show suggested the IMR. I figured I would do some research since the powder is pretty expensive. Has anyone used this powder to load 223, 55 grain bullets? It looks like it might work better with larger bullets.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Eric

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    CFE 223 is about the only powder that will reduce copper fouling.

And not being able to find a specific powder in a given size container for a few WEEKS is nothing. I have a backorder for WW231 for about 18 months now.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Get some copper remover to clean your bore and forget about 'reduced copper fouling'. We have been smearing copper in bores since the invention of either smokeless powder, or copper, can't remember which.. LMAO

Get a decent bore cleaner (there are hundreds out there to choose from) like Patch Out, or similar and just clean your barrel on occasion and don't fret the copper. It could be a lot worse, could be lead and that doesn't 'dissolve' with solvents like copper..

If you have a severely fouled barrel, remove the bolt, plug the breech and pour some copper fouling remover in the muzzle til it's full. Let is soak overnight, drain the solvent, run a few dry patches through it and you're done.

I have been removing copper fouling for decades with nothing more than a little solvent, patch, rod and bore guide. Usually takes me a dozen patches and about ten minutes, spread over a couple hours time. Soak a patch, run it through, wait 15-20 mins, dry patch. If the patch comes out with blue on it, repeat til clean. It's pretty easy!

Pinecone is right... being married to a particular powder will haunt you these days.. it's hit or miss for many ;)

That said, I just recently loaded up on W231 and some HP-38 (keep an eye on Recob's Target Shop) :)

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I have been using CFE 223 for my 223 plinking rounds. I am loading 55 grain Hornady FMJ bullets. I have not been able to find an 8lb container of CFE 223 for the last couple weeks. I am considering using a different powder. Are there any Copper Fouling Reducing powders I can use as an alternative?

Someone at a Gun show suggested the IMR. I figured I would do some research since the powder is pretty expensive. Has anyone used this powder to load 223, 55 grain bullets? It looks like it might work better with larger bullets.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Eric

What load data are you using? I also have CFE223 and am going to load some 55gr fmjs. On Hodgdon's website it shows loads for a 55gr. SPR SP and a 55gr BAR TSX FB. Another load I looked up on there showed a 55gr SFIRE..what does SFIRE stand for? I know SP is soft point, BAR is Barnes TSX bullet flat base. What is SFIRE and SPR?

justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    What load data are you using? I also have CFE223 and am going to load some 55gr fmjs. On Hodgdon's website it shows loads for a 55gr. SPR SP and a 55gr BAR TSX FB. Another load I looked up on there showed a 55gr SFIRE..what does SFIRE stand for? I know SP is soft point, BAR is Barnes TSX bullet flat base. What is SFIRE and SPR?

I'm using 26.2 grains and CCI 400's. It's my plinking round so I haven't done much load development. It shoots well though.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I thought all powder manufacturers would show loads for fmjs...guess not. What COL are you using Uncle Duke? 2.200"? The primers I have are CCI 400. I do have about 40 cases primed with Federal or something else (will have to look again to see). Can I still use same load data? I'm just trying to be very careful.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Eric
    Which IMR powder are you asking about?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    IMR is a BRAND of powder. They make everything from very fast pistol powders to very slow magnum powders.

Not ANY IMR powder will work. IMR 3031 is a commonly used powder in .223/5.56.

Hodgdon H335 is the go to powder for many in this cartridge.

MANY powders work well, but only CFE will reduce copper fouling by shooting. And I don't know about some of the people here, but I would rather shoot than clean. :)

justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    Which IMR powder are you asking about?

Sorry that would help. I was told that IMR 4166 is a new powder that works for 223. After doing some research, it sounds like the powder is better suited for heavier bullets. I think it needs to be compressed for the 55 fmj bullets I am using. It also does not meter well and it's expensive. I think I will stay away from the 4166.

justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    What makes you think you have an issue with copper fouling? Is accuracy quickly falling off?

Cleaning copper out of my barrel is one of my pet peeves. I never feel like I am getting all the copper out. I think I am getting false positive readings from the cleaning brush and jag melting. I have moved to using a synthetic brush but I still think the jag blues my patches to a degree. I also don't like to clean my gun to much since I feel cleaning often does more damage than good. I am careful not to nick my crown but I'm sure every pass does some damage.

I figured that if CFE cleans the copper it's one less thing to worry about. I still clean my gun but am less worried about the copper. What's the harm, if you can get the powder.

My AR has never been what I would call an accurate gun. If I am shooting for distance, I'll hand load 77 gr SMK with Varget. Most of my shooting is for 3-Gun and 90% of that is within 50 yards. I just need cheap plinking ammo for that. Although, I don't seem to have any problem hitting the occasional targets out to 300 yards with my plinking ammo. To answer your question, I doubt that copper fouling has affected my accuracy.

justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    RSP gun shop in Falling Waters WV had 8's of cfe223 about a week ago.

Thanks for the tip for RSP gun shop. He does not have any in stock but after talking to the owner for about an hour, I am confident I will be doing a lot of business with RSP.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Unless accuracy is suffering, you shouldn't be removing copper. Most people who complain about cleaning, clean too much. I mean it's your gun do what you want, but unless you are cleaning for a reason you are wasting time. Wipe out takes me about 10 minutes and I'm back to shooting tiny groups, and that's after many hundreds of rounds.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Unless accuracy is suffering, you shouldn't be removing copper. Most people who complain about cleaning, clean too much. I mean it's your gun do what you want, but unless you are cleaning for a reason you are wasting time. Wipe out takes me about 10 minutes and I'm back to shooting tiny groups, and that's after many hundreds of rounds.

What do you use to clean your barrel? Not that I have had any trouble with copper fouling, just curious what you use so I can try it. Wipe out? or were you just referring to you cleaning as a wipe out?

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Sorry that would help. I was told that IMR 4166 is a new powder that works for 223. After doing some research, it sounds like the powder is better suited for heavier bullets. I think it needs to be compressed for the 55 fmj bullets I am using. It also does not meter well and it's expensive. I think I will stay away from the 4166.

I'm not sure how it is for copper fouling but I'm partial to IMR 8208 XBX in my 223/5.56 loads with 55 grain pills.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    What do you use to clean your barrel? Not that I have had any trouble with copper fouling, just curious what you use so I can try it. Wipe out? or were you just referring to you cleaning as a wipe out?

I like break free, used it while in the military, I see no need to break tradition. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom