• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013
    I can't recommend the trust route highly enough. It is worth the money to have one drawn up. Call Nate, he is on this board all the time.

Speaking of which, does anyone know how much he charges?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Another reason for using the trust (or corp) is that you should be able to e-file your NFA forms. That is, once ATF stops using "enhancements" as the reason they stopped accepting the eForms in April.

eForm Form 1s have been back only for a while.

Form 4s will have to wait for the new system.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I read something not to long ago that trusts wont be able circumvent the signoff from the CLEO..is this still the case or did this not pass

Executive Order (Obumbler trying to legislate) but BATFE has until 2015 to come up with rules.

MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery
    There is also the issue now of SBRs having to be on the MD handgun rooster as SBR approved, since Maryland is treating SBRs as pistols.

Can someone clarify how this new requirement is being applied? If was firearm was purchased pre October 2013 and wants to build a SBR does it have to be on the handgun rooster? Does the handgun rooster requirement only applied to semi-autos? How about bolt actions, lever actions, and shotguns (semi-auto, pump)?

My understanding is that if you're building an SBR from a stripped lower on a form 1, the handgun roster is irrelevant. Whether you bought the receiver pre or post 10/1, you should be GTG as long as you keep the OAL>29". If you wanted to buy a complete SBR or transfer yours later on a form 4, it would have to be on the handgun roster.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    No, you have to get fingerprinted each time to prove that you are actually you.

HauptsAriba

Feb 16, 2014
    Anne Arundel
    There is also the issue now of SBRs having to be on the MD handgun rooster as SBR approved, since Maryland is treating SBRs as pistols.

Can someone clarify how this new requirement is being applied? If was firearm was purchased pre October 2013 and wants to build a SBR does it have to be on the handgun rooster? Does the handgun rooster requirement only applied to semi-autos? How about bolt actions, lever actions, and shotguns (semi-auto, pump)?
    That is only for a dealer to sell it, not for you to build it for yourself and keep it. Being pre October is really only an AR issue as is the 29 inch matter as no bolt action rifle could be a
    ( copy cat ) assault weapon as it applies to semi auto center fire only. Bolt and lever actions are not affected by sb281. Shotgun lengths are subject to ( sb281 copy cat ) issues ( at least I think so ) and NFA issues.

HauptsAriba

Feb 16, 2014
    Anne Arundel
    What is the avg cost to get a trust set up?
    Anywhere from 200 to 800 depending...

Arsenal Attorneys is in VA by the NRA headquarters. They have a website and are very thorough. Unless you only want 1 suppressor and your NFA collecting is done then the trust is the way to go. Better for estate planning and making sure your stuff goes where you want it to when you go to the great shooting range in the sky. If the trust is done right, your descendants can keep what's in it forever, pretty much.

MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery
    That is only for a dealer to sell it, not for you to build it for yourself and keep it. Being pre October is really only an AR issue as is the 29 inch matter as no bolt action rifle could be a
    ( copy cat ) assault weapon as it applies to semi auto center fire only. Bolt and lever actions are not affected by sb281. Shotgun lengths are subject to ( sb281 copy cat ) issues ( at least I think so ) and NFA issues.

According to the MSP advisory, a handgun is "a firearm with a barrel less than 16 inches in length." So the way I understand it, it applies to all shotguns and rifles regardless of the action. Lever and bolt action rifles aren't mentioned in SB281 per se, so the copycat weapon thing isn't an issue. But if you were to transfer one on a form 4, I believe you would run into the handgun roster hurdle. So any SBR/SBS is still legal to possess (assuming you went through the whole NFA process), but transferring is where you may run into issues with the handgun roster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom