• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • onatsky

Ultimate Member
    Feb 17, 2010
    Parkville MD
    "A hearing on the lawsuit challenging Maryland law SB281 will be held this July 22, 2014 at the Federal Courthouse in Baltimore."

"We need a packed courtroom supporting our side. Come to the hearing to show the judge that are against SB281 and its unconstitutionality. As always, dress conservatively, (leave the message t-shirts home). This is not a rally. Show proper decorum, no outbursts. (The judge will have you removed)."

"The address is: Federal District Court, 101 W. Lombard Street, Court Room 7D, Baltimore, MD 21211. The hearing is set to start at 10 AM. Arrive early for a good seat. It would be great if we could pack the room. Plenty of parking is available."

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    "A hearing on the lawsuit challenging Maryland law SB281 will be held this July 22, 2014 at the Federal Courthouse in Baltimore."

"We need a packed courtroom supporting our side. Come to the hearing to show the judge that are against SB281 and its unconstitutionality. As always, dress conservatively, (leave the message t-shirts home). This is not a rally. Show proper decorum, no outbursts. (The judge will have you removed)."

"The address is: Federal District Court, 101 W. Lombard Street, Court Room 7D, Baltimore, MD 21211. The hearing is set to start at 10 AM. Arrive early for a good seat. It would be great if we could pack the room. Plenty of parking is available."

Anyone know if cell phones are allowed?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Hearings aren't (or shouldn't be) about public opinion. :rolleyes:

I doubt a big showing on our part will do a damn thing to influence the verdict.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Hearings aren't (or shouldn't be) about public opinion. :rolleyes:

I doubt a big showing on our part will do a damn thing to influence the verdict.

What I was going to say. It doesn’t matter what our opinion on the constitution is. All that matters is what judge has to say about what the law actually says.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan

This from a guy who has a show off the t-shirt, superman style avatar. :)

As others have stated, we mean nothing in Annapolis and even less in a courtroom.

onatsky

Ultimate Member
    Feb 17, 2010
    Parkville MD
    This was an appeal from the Maryland Licensed Firearms Dealers Association for anyone available to attend.

Ron
    The Gun Shop

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    This kind of activity is good in Annapolis. I don't want any judges' decisions to be swayed by popular opinion. I want them to rule on the law impartially. This is what happened in Annapolis. The GA passed 281 based on the liberals ideas and the popularity for useless gun control, not it's legality.

But watching the system in action would be a good thing.

My .02

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    22nd is a Tuesday.

Unless I have a scheduling conflict arise, that's where I'll be.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Thanks Ron.

To those unfamiliar with the process, it's not a trial but rather a hearing for oral legal arguments by counsel on the factual record and briefs already before the court. Catherine Blake is no nonsense federal judge and this is a federal court. If you go, leave your message T-Shirts and attitudes at home. Dress appropriately. Don't bring pocket knives you will enter through metal detectors and be scanned. Cell phones are okay, and you may use them in the public areas only. They must be off before you enter a court room, and you can not use them under any circumstances to record or take pictures anywhere. If you have never been you might find it interesting and educational. This may be an opportunity for you to be seen as an interested citizen in attendance, but it is not an opportunity to be heard except through the counsel representing the plaintiffs and plaintiff organizations.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    No, but it might help influence the press reporting on the hearing

In what way ? If we lose as expected do we want press attention? If we win -- press attention we will get most assuredly, but this is a hearing and frankly no decision will be made at that time.

If I did not need to use limited time off I would go, but I need to save that for more pressing matters.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    A full courtroom should not influence a judges opinion however the show of interest by the public might reinforce the judges realization of the importance of the case and insure she pays close attention to the arguments of the facts of the case. When it comes to the facts the other side frequently comes up short or uses "facts" that don't stand up to close examination.

Judge Blake
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_C._Blake

agstevens05

Jan 24, 2013
    I would go however I need the leave for vacation the following week. Us being there would only serve as a reminder that we have not forgotten and are paying attention and hopefully let the judge know that there is a heavy interest in this. Not that it should sway her in any one direction.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    I'm just being devil's advocate here but how would the judge know who is for or against SB281 unless you were wearing some kind of pro 2A apparel or pin? Just throwing it out there. You are more than welcome to throw it back. I would go if I could if for no other reason than to see the process.

agstevens05

Jan 24, 2013
    I'm just being devil's advocate here but how would the judge know who is for or against SB281 unless you were wearing some kind of pro 2A apparel or pin? Just throwing it out there. You are more than welcome to throw it back. I would go if I could if for no other reason than to see the process.

This is a very good point. There would be no way of telling who is who. Good chance in their mind they will translate it as these are all people for 281

embermage

Sep 20, 2013
    Rising Sun
    I'd go to just show support for Maryland gun owners, have range duty that day however at my unit. (Sounds odd I know, lol, but literally I have to be a range safety for an M4 range)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom