• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    If the transfer is not approved you can't have it!
    If the transfer is approved you can have it after the 7th day.
    If the response is delayed more than 7 days (like during the pre SB281 crunch) then when to release is up to the FFL.

That is why when buying you should ask upfront what the FFL's policy is and what the procedures (calls etc.) are. Don't assume and you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

:mad54:

I don't ask about her shoes or purses or clothes or etc etc etc. I ask about jewelry. Although I did tell her about a recent purchase and she didn't blink an eye.:D

Why would she blink an eye when she is calculating the number of pairs of shoes, purses, clothes and jewelry she is going to buy to match your purchase.

Jiman

Dec 12, 2012
    Congrats!!

I went in today to fill out my paperwork and was told they'd send it in tomorrow (Fri) and I could pick it up next Fri. I asked about the full 7 day wait (i.e. 8th day release) and they told me MSP was clearing apps in @ 4 days now so as long as we waited until the
    7th day, Friday was fine.

I'm good with that....:D

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Next time just go by on the 8th day and pick it up. And yes, you know there will be a next time.

Maryland law has a mechanism allowing for transfer on day 8 if no communication to the negative in the first 7 days from MSP. The way I understand it is the MSP are required to do a NICS check upon receipt of the 77R and contact the seller immediately if anything negative is in the NICS. Transfer on day 8 is elective on the seller.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If the transfer is Disapproved you can't have it!
    If the transfer is Not Disapproved you can have it after the 7th day.
    If the response is delayed (like during the pre SB281 crunch) then when to release is up to the FFL.

FTFY

MD Does not "approve" handgun transfers.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Thanks for the correction. Maryland wouldn't "approve" of anything related to the second amendment of the United States Constitution.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I think they did this to avoid legal liability if they "approved" a person to receive and handgun, but it turned out that they should not have.

So, since the program started, back in the 60s, you are either Disapproved or Not Disapproved.

In the paper days, you would get your copy of the 77R stamped with a big Not Disapproved.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I think they did this to avoid legal liability if they "approved" a person to receive and handgun, but it turned out that they should not have.

So, since the program started, back in the 60s, you are either Disapproved or Not Disapproved.

In the paper days, you would get your copy of the 77R stamped with a big Not Disapproved.

Actually, way back in the day (early 70's), I seem to remember there was an "APPROVED" box preprinted on the 77R (if that's what the form was designated as back then). As I think more on it, I'm almost sure the "approved" box once existed.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I just pulled a form from 1977.

And you are somewhat right. It was a Form 77R1, Rev 7-1-76.

On the right side is a block that has the agency investigating, then under that a line with Approved on the left, Date in the middle, and Disapproved on the right. No boxes to check.

But my copy does not have that filled out.

And NO questions to answer. Name, address, description (Hair, eyes, height, weight), DOB, place of birth, SSN, DL number, and occupation and employer info.

And the forms were typed. Not hand written.

I also have one from 01-94. It is a Form 77R Rev 1-93. In the middle is a block for MSP (Section 3) that has a line for signature of approving official. Gun shop gave a copy of the page returned from MSP and it is stamped Not Disapproved. Still no questions.

Now I am wondering, when did MSP go from Approving to Not Disapproving. I could have sworn that all my forms were Not Disapproved.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I just pulled a form from 1977.

And you are somewhat right. It was a Form 77R1, Rev 7-1-76.

On the right side is a block that has the agency investigating, then under that a line with Approved on the left, Date in the middle, and Disapproved on the right. No boxes to check.

But my copy does not have that filled out.

And NO questions to answer. Name, address, description (Hair, eyes, height, weight), DOB, place of birth, SSN, DL number, and occupation and employer info.

And the forms were typed. Not hand written.

I also have one from 01-94. It is a Form 77R Rev 1-93. In the middle is a block for MSP (Section 3) that has a line for signature of approving official. Gun shop gave a copy of the page returned from MSP and it is stamped Not Disapproved. Still no questions.

Now I am wondering, when did MSP go from Approving to Not Disapproving? I could have sworn that all my forms were Not Disapproved.

Here's my smartass answer: sometime between 1977 and 1994; I believe you're a smart enough guy to have figured that out on your own.:lol2: j/k

My real answer: I really don't remember when the "APPROVED" status was deleted.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Unfortunately, I don't have actual copies of the original page of the 77Rs. But I still think I remember ones in 77 being stamped Not Disapproved. But that was a long time ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom