• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan_Br

Jan 19, 2013
    Carroll County
    I read on the Modern Service Weapons forum that Maryland is a State with statutory provision which bar civil recovery for damages against a user of reasonable or lawful force. Is that true and how reliable does anyone think it is?
    thanks
    Dan

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=9312

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    I read on the Modern Service Weapons forum that Maryland is a State with statutory provision which bar civil recovery for damages against a user of reasonable or lawful force. Is that true and how reliable does anyone think it is?
    thanks
    Dan

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=9312

About as reliable as the Castle Doctrine is in this State, which is to say reasonable means very, very, very, very--well you get the point...

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    There hasn't been a test case yet, but civil liability protection looks pretty strong unless you bind and torture the invader.

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    Many years ago a PG Police Sgt. gave me the best advice ever.
    "Now son, if you HAVE to shoot an intruder, make sure that MOST of him is inside the house, and if there is no weapon visible on him go to the kitchen, find a knife that does not match any thing else, wipe it clean and put it in his hand."....."You do your part son, and we will do ours."

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    The difference is, Castle Doctrine in MD is via Common Law and court rulings. There is no law, passed by the legislature and signed by the Governor.

Immunity for civil liability is written into the law 5-808. Passed by the legislature and signed into law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_self-defense_in_Maryland

Technical difference, but doesn't change the legal question, which is determining what is "reasonable" whether statutory or by common law. And in this State "reasonable" means extremely reasonable.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    Its true. Its also quite strong. Bottom line is if the shoot is legal from a criminal law perspective then you will be immune from civil liability. Also not only are you immune but if you are sued and found to be immune you can recover attorney's fees and costs in defending yourself against a civil suit.
    I am not aware of any case where this has been raised though.

t_stalcup

May 26, 2011
    Hollywood
    Can someone tell me what year did MD law start requiring handgun sales to go through FFL? In other words when was it still okay to do face to face sales on regulated firearms?

t_stalcup

May 26, 2011
    Hollywood
    October 1996

Thank you. I had a visit from MSP the other morning and a handgun that I sold a good friend in 94 showed up in Baltimore in the hands of a convicted felon. It had been stolen from my buddy in 95. I was just wondering if I had something to worry about. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom