• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EMS_92

Oct 8, 2012
    After hours of ways m wading through nonsense and government sponsored dribble, I'd figure I'd ask here if any member knows the best way for an Aberdeen resident (thats in Harford county) knows the best way, meaning fastest and cheapest way of obtaining an HQL.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Do NOT WAIT MORE THAN 72 hrs to submit your application after you get the prints done!
    The state saves them only so long and then you have to do them over.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    I applied Friday 6-20 in the late afternoon.

Monday evening, 6-23, everything had been completed except the DHMH check.

Tuesday evening 6-24, my application was shown as 'active', with license #.

Thursday, 6-26, I got CJIS paperwork in the mail.

Friday, 6-27, my HQL ID card arrived in the mail.

EMS_92

Oct 8, 2012
    Where could I get my prints, background check and training time done? Any leads?

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Where could I get my prints, background check and training time done? Any leads?

from what I heard Cecil County College is the cheapest around for prints but get the training first

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    Mine took more like 2 weeks after I had everything and paid MSP.

edit: saw the above post. got my prints done at cecil college. very easy and only approx $55. thread on it in the eastern shore

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    While MD isn't a huge state, we could help you much better if we knew where you are...

He already did that as he was the OP.

To the OP: if you are ex military or had a regulated firearm in MD, you don't need the training. There was some discussion as to whether Hunter Safety counted, I don't honestly remember the consensus.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    He already did that as he was the OP.

To the OP: if you are ex military or had a regulated firearm in MD, you don't need the training. There was some discussion as to whether Hunter Safety counted, I don't honestly remember the consensus.

Thanks..Missed it.:o

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    Do NOT WAIT MORE THAN 72 hrs to submit your application after you get the prints done!
    The state saves them only so long and then you have to do them over.

You might be right, and no reason to take chances I suppose. But I had my prints done 7 months ago in a vain attempt to get a CC permit. I used those when I applied for my HQL a few weeks ago, and got approved in three days. If others have had a different experience then there is some real inconsistency in the process, which would not be shocking.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You can get prints done at the MVA in Bel Air. There is an MSP office there that will do them for $20, IIRC. But you also have to pay the background check fee.

If you are prior military, you will need to scan and submit a copy of your DD214. If you own any regulated firearm, you just need the serial number.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    FWIW, the entire process is out lined in the MSP link I provided above. Surprisingly, it is very simple to obtain an HQL - especially if you are exempt from training.

Also, I paid $54.50 to get my Livescan prints done at FYI. $25 was his fee; the rest went to MSP and the FBI for background checks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom