• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Just have been thinking about one of these high capacity pistols, and yes, I guess a 10 round mag is high capacity for 45 ACP. I thought, hmm, how to get more rounds on target fast. I love my 1911s, but am thinking about giving the M&P a try. Jeff Quinn at Gunblast.com seems to like them. What is so good about them? I guess they are legal in MD with a 10 round mag. Tell me about them!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Love mine, have the full-size with a 4" barrel.

2 parts from Apex, boom, 3.5# trigger. Only failures I've had have been due to lead semi-wadcutters that I had the COL too long on, and a worn recoil spring around 4k rounds.

If nothing else, go try one out at a range that rents guns out - I find even the 4" .45 to very easy to manage and shoot quickly, accurately.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    I've got 1911's and M&P's.
    I love them all to death but the M&P's have a different feel. Just before SB281 took effect I bought a bunch of extra mags for several guns. I had found the extended magazines for the M&P 45. Bought a few of those. The M&P looks cool with those mags.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Just have been thinking about one of these high capacity pistols, and yes, I guess a 10 round mag is high capacity for 45 ACP. I thought, hmm, how to get more rounds on target fast. I love my 1911s, but am thinking about giving the M&P a try. Jeff Quinn at Gunblast.com seems to like them. What is so good about them? I guess they are legal in MD with a 10 round mag. Tell me about them!

There are several other handguns I would consider as well in .45acp

FN FNX

Sig P320

HK 45

Twofer

Regular Guy
    Dec 13, 2014
    Columbia MD
    The M&P45 is a great gun. The stock trigger isn't great, but throw in a DCAEK from Apex Tactical, and it's good to go. The M&P's been my go-to gun for a while. The polymer frame makes for a lighter gun, which great if you're carrying it on your hip, but also gives more recoil. I like the "small" back-strap for mine. (I have pretty average size hands, wear "medium" mechanics gloves.) I've got the manual safety model, which works ok, just very easy to engage/disengage. I also removed the magazine disconnect safety from mine.

I bought mine as a beater gun, but then it turned out to be exceptional. Very accurate and has been totally reliable. The slide and barrel are melonite case-hardened, which prevents corrosion and scratching. When I was working at the black rifle shop in CA, I accidentally slammed the M&P's slide into a dumpster. It didn't leave a mark.

I had a M&P9 for a bit, but the accuracy wasn't there. I don't know if my 45 is special, or if the 9 was "special".

Although, you don't have to give up on your 1911, there's plenty of good 10 round mags out there. I like the Chip McCormick Power Mags.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If you can find one in decent shape, a Canadian made ParaOrdnance double-stack 1911 in .45 ACP should work for you. 14 rounds per mag, get a bumper for the mags and increase the capacity by two or three rounds.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    The apex trigger is basically mandatory, as the factory m&p trigger is horrible. After the apex kit, the trigger will be pretty good, although there won't really be a noticeable reset feel or sound. My m&p 45 is an absolute tacdriver and I can shoot it better than my p99(which is another phenominal gun accuracy wise). I've not had a malfunction out of my m&p45 yet after thousands of rounds through it.

I got the threaded barrel kit with both the normal 4.5" barrel and also the threaded barrel. I was pleasantly surprised to find out the lone wolf comp works damned good at eliminating muzzle rise and recoil. It's already has quick recovery time between shots making for a fast 45, but the lone wolf comp takes it to a new level for 45.

I have an extended mag for it, and need to send it back for a new spring. The spring has collapsed in on itself towards the top, looking like a bad heat treat on it or something. The factory 10 rounders have been great.

LWDBRAKEBEST_zpsd1cbae57.jpg

mampp45targets_zps7ab8bdf5.jpg

1399720_10100279218091881_1760093609_o.jpg

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    It's a really comfortable pistol that is easy to shoot well, some of that comes from the relatively narrow grip that reduces the mag width and capacity. The M&P 45 is one of the few that can shoot in all 3 pistol classes in IDPA too. If you intend on carrying it, then the 30% greater capacity of a similarly sized G21 or the same capacity in the smaller G30 gives them a significant edge. M&P triggers are crap out of the box, although that is easily remedied.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    The apex trigger is basically mandatory, as the factory m&p trigger is horrible. After the apex kit, the trigger will be pretty good, although there won't really be a noticeable reset feel or sound. My m&p 45 is an absolute tacdriver and I can shoot it better than my p99(which is another phenominal gun accuracy wise). I've not had a malfunction out of my m&p45 yet after thousands of rounds through it.

I got the threaded barrel kit with both the normal 4.5" barrel and also the threaded barrel. I was pleasantly surprised to find out the lone wolf comp works damned good at eliminating muzzle rise and recoil. It's already has quick recovery time between shots making for a fast 45, but the lone wolf comp takes it to a new level for 45.

I have an extended mag for it, and need to send it back for a new spring. The spring has collapsed in on itself towards the top, looking like a bad heat treat on it or something. The factory 10 rounders have been great.

LWDBRAKEBEST_zpsd1cbae57.jpg

mampp45targets_zps7ab8bdf5.jpg

View attachment 151120

Kool photos! I like the bayonet mount. What is the deal with the Apex trigger? Are they easy to install? Is it a sort of modular drop in arrangement?

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    S&W does offer an in house trigger upgrade from the performance center.

Twofer

Regular Guy
    Dec 13, 2014
    Columbia MD
    The sear is easy. I used the stock spring and it gets me about 4.5 lbs. (Other options are lighter or heavier.) It's a good time to ditch the magazine disconnect safety, if your gun is so equipped. (Where you can't fire with the magazine removed.)

The RAM (Reset Assist Mechanism) takes a bit of doing. The USB (Ultimate Striker Block) requires you to drift the rear sight off, which is a bit involved. I didn't notice any different with the RAM. The USB cleans up the trigger pre-travel a little bit.

I haven't worked with the forward set sear, or any of their other products yet.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "I had a M&P9 for a bit, but the accuracy wasn't there. I don't know if my 45 is special, or if the 9 was "special". "

The 9 is special. S&W is on their third barrel with M&P9. Competitive shooters at large area matches have said the accuracy is atrocious, as it is with my 5" Pro9.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    There are several other handguns I would consider as well in .45acp

FN FNX

Sig P320

HK 45

+1 for the above recommendations, but I have to also toss the Glock 21 SF into the ring. 13+1 and perfectly reliable with every load put through it in my experience.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    +1 for the above recommendations, but I have to also toss the Glock 21 SF into the ring. 13+1 and perfectly reliable with every load put through it in my experience.

Well the glock is the default polymer option.....

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    "I had a M&P9 for a bit, but the accuracy wasn't there. I don't know if my 45 is special, or if the 9 was "special". "

The 9 is special. S&W is on their third barrel with M&P9. Competitive shooters at large area matches have said the accuracy is atrocious, as it is with my 5" Pro9.

My pro came with a barrel that looked like it was machined with a cheese grater, couldn't shoot under 10" at 25 yards, compared around 3" from my M&P 9c. I was on a list and ordered the pistol when it first came out, and it was one of the first in PA, so I bought it anyway, was kinda PO'ed about the barrel. I could have sent it back, but was told it could take a month or more till S&W made enough to have the part available. Ended up with a SS storm lake barrel, lapped it and fit it, and it shot like a laser, can get under 2" at 25 yds from a rest, stays clean, shoots plated well. I've seen other M&Ps that shoot that well from the factory, so probably an issue they already corrected, or possibly bad QC at the time.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    How involved is the APEX modification, too much for a normal shooter.

The Sear and the AEK trigger are easy to do at home, the USB (ultimate striker block) requires removing the rear sight, so you need a sight tool for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom