My eyes are getting old, should I wear glasses while shooting a pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    The old eyes are going bad. I find that when I hold a pistol the sights are becoming more of a blur. I think I am using around 2 power reading glasses and my distance sight is down to 20 - 30. All things considered, not to bad but it's getting worse as I get older.

Would I benefit from using reading glasses when I shoot my pistol? Reading glasses really kills my long distance vision but I would be able to see my sights better.

Maybe the reading glasses would hurt when I shoot out of my scoped (1x4) AR 15?

I currently only use glasses when I read.

I'm doing 2-gun, 3-gun and Steel Challenges.

Any advice?

Thanks,
    Eric

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The front sight is the most critical to see. I doubt reading glasses will improve your focus on the front sight.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Several thing happen to your eyes as you age. Three of them can lead to blindness so hopefully you aren't self diagnosing yourself. Glaucoma and macular degeneration and retinal detachment are the bad ones. These are treatable conditions but need to be treated early.

Commonly we all lose the ability to accommodate for distance, meaning we can't see close without reading glasses. You can buy cheap reading glasses in a variety of powers, known as diopters. A well stocked pharmacy or even grocery store will have these in 1/4 diopter increments so you can experiment and get one for reading, one for the distance of your computer screen and one for the distance of your front sight. In this day and age, I would take only the slide of my gun, talk to the manager and sit in his/her office trying on different glasses, rather than have people think you are aiming a gun at the 2 liters Hickok45 style.

Cataracts are clouding of parts of the actual lens itself. This degrades the quality of your vision over time. Reading glasses don't help with cataracts. Eventually you can't read the printed things they put at the bottom of the TV screen like warnings of thunderstorms or school closings. The treatment is to surgically remove your clouded lens and replace it with a new man made lens. As operations go, it is one of the more successful ones.

Recently there was a thread about an optical shop in Damascus that works with shooters. The average eye glass shop in the mall really doesn't know much about target shooting.

I look through the top part of my bifocals to use a scope.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    As the OPs have said, go see an Optometrist. The older you get, the harder your eyes age. Glaucoma and macular degeneration are easily diagnosed easily and painlessly, and the latter comes pretty much standard with aging, I'm told. Your eyesight is nothing to take chances with.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    I've been using reading glasses for some time now. As I've aged the distance I can focus on without them has increased to the point where now pistol sights or the front sight of a rifle are somewhat blurred. I find I shoot much better with a pair of readers that let me focus clearly on the front sight. 1.5 power readers work for me for shooting and for looking at a computer monitor too for that matter. For reading fine print or focusing at close distance I use 2.0. YMMV.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    You can adjust your scope to be able to focus with reading glasses. If I wear contacts and use reading glasses I can actually focus on the front sight. My non-corrected eyesight is so bad the front sight is a blur.

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Assuming that you got your Rx from a doctor, Ask your optometrist for a "Computer Rx".
    Reading glasses are generally calibrated to be focused at 12-24 inches or so.
    With the "Computer Rx", they cut the added magnification power in half, extending the focal point farther out away from you, conveniently enough, to right about arms length.

The lower magnification should also make seeing distance not quite as horrible as with straight up reading glasses.

To try it out and see how it works, go to the drugstore and grab some +1.00 readers, then hold your arm out and try to focus on your thumb. You may have to go up or down a quarter diopter (.25) in power to find that sweet spot.

Jimet

Feb 4, 2007
    Harford Co.
    Try this, it'll only cost ya 5 minutes and a 1 inch piece of electrical tape. Punch a little hole in the tape,(as small as possible) with a pin and put the tape over the lens of your old pair of reading glasses. When looking through the hole,for some reason or another, the rear sight, the front sight and your target become very clear. You can buy these but I don't remember where right off the bat. Besides, what's more cool than hitting your target while lookin like a dork?

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Several thing happen to your eyes as you age. Three of them can lead to blindness so hopefully you aren't self diagnosing yourself. Glaucoma and macular degeneration and retinal detachment are the bad ones. These are treatable conditions but need to be treated early.

Commonly we all lose the ability to accommodate for distance, meaning we can't see close without reading glasses. You can buy cheap reading glasses in a variety of powers, known as diopters. A well stocked pharmacy or even grocery store will have these in 1/4 diopter increments so you can experiment and get one for reading, one for the distance of your computer screen and one for the distance of your front sight. In this day and age, I would take only the slide of my gun, talk to the manager and sit in his/her office trying on different glasses, rather than have people think you are aiming a gun at the 2 liters Hickok45 style.

Cataracts are clouding of parts of the actual lens itself. This degrades the quality of your vision over time. Reading glasses don't help with cataracts. Eventually you can't read the printed things they put at the bottom of the TV screen like warnings of thunderstorms or school closings. The treatment is to surgically remove your clouded lens and replace it with a new man made lens. As operations go, it is one of the more successful ones.

Recently there was a thread about an optical shop in Damascus that works with shooters. The average eye glass shop in the mall really doesn't know much about target shooting.

I look through the top part of my bifocals to use a scope.

Interesting. The information about selecting reading glasses for various relatively close distances is very useful to me.

I'm quite nearsighted, but can not obtain a crisp image when I wear my glasses and use a scope. Without my glasses I get a very sharp image. Is the scope acting as a corrective lens and, if it works for me, why would anyone wear corrective lenses when using a scope?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm quite nearsighted, but can not obtain a crisp image when I wear my glasses and use a scope. Without my glasses I get a very sharp image. Is the scope acting as a corrective lens and, if it works for me, why would anyone wear corrective lenses when using a scope?

I don't have this problem with my corrective lenses. And yes, scopes can be adjusted so you don't need to use glasses to use them. However, I use my prescription glasses as my eye protection, so they're not coming off when I shoot. Adjust the objective lens on your scope if you're having problems with glasses.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I don't have this problem with my corrective lenses. And yes, scopes can be adjusted so you don't need to use glasses to use them. However, I use my prescription glasses as my eye protection, so they're not coming off when I shoot. Adjust the objective lens on your scope if you're having problems with glasses.

Thanks. My practice has been to put my corrective lenses in their case and put on plain shooting glasses when using a scope. Without a scope my corrective lenses are my protective lenses.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    The front sight is the most critical to see. I doubt reading glasses will improve your focus on the front sight.
    Actually it will. Learned this from avid shooter and Ph.D Peter Hoyle. If you are using glasses due to near-sightedness as you get older your close distance focus will start to move farther away. you can actually use reading glasses inside your regular glasses. But an even better way is to get a special set made with your normal correction (or not if farsighted) and an 18" focus on your dominant eye. In the case of farsightedness you can just get a pair of reading glasses and pop the lens out of your non-dominant eye side. Your dominant eye will see the gun sights fine and your other eye will give you the clarity to see the target if needed. My special set allowed me to shoot more IDPA and USPSA Limited. Before that I shot almost 100% with red dots or scopes. Now I am in the middle of getting replacement lenses in my eyes due to cataracts in my dominant eye. Even with only my dominant eye corrected and my other eye without glasses I find I can shoot iron sights that way too, plus my red dot shooting has gotten better also. That is inspite of uncorrected astigmatism in both eyes. Once I get the other eye fixed I am going to get a special set made that only corrects astigmatism for those times like at night when it helps more. But for shooting I just use eye protection and no correction right now.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    My eyesight used to great. Not anymore!
    I have been using reading glasses for years but finally went and got real glasses. Bifocals. My eye doctor also did a pair of shooting (safety) glasses for me as well. This really helped me because I was having trouble focusing on the front sight.
    This eye doctor had done shooting glass perscription for others as well.

Rick3bears

Grumpy Old Coot
    Jul 28, 2012
    Somewhere, MD
    I switched to Progressives a couple of years back. It took some time to get used to them, but they work really well for shooting. For a few bucks more, I got shatter resistant and transitions. Works really fine for pistol, rifle, optics, whatever.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    The old eyes are going bad. I find that when I hold a pistol the sights are becoming more of a blur. I think I am using around 2 power reading glasses and my distance sight is down to 20 - 30. All things considered, not to bad but it's getting worse as I get older.

Would I benefit from using reading glasses when I shoot my pistol? Reading glasses really kills my long distance vision but I would be able to see my sights better.

Maybe the reading glasses would hurt when I shoot out of my scoped (1x4) AR 15?

I currently only use glasses when I read.

I'm doing 2-gun, 3-gun and Steel Challenges.

Any advice?

Thanks,
    Eric
    Struggling with the same issue myself. Diagnosed with Glaucoma 2 years ago, eye drops every day. One of the side effects of the eye drops is blurred vision. I see fine close up but blurred at any distance over 5 feet. With glasses I see distances fine but close up doesn't look right. I haven't had a chance to follow up with my eye doctor recently about shooting but did get some eye glass specific advice from MDS member: Woodstock who was an instructor at a recent firearms course I took. He may be a good resource for you as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I switched to Progressives a couple of years back. It took some time to get used to them, but they work really well for shooting. For a few bucks more, I got shatter resistant and transitions. Works really fine for pistol, rifle, optics, whatever.

What kind of progressives did you get and where? Mine absolutely suck for shooting. I had to get shooting glasses that focus on the front sight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom