• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cjl7

Apr 2, 2012
    Made a couple mods to my mossy 500 and thought Id post for some opinions. Most of the stuff is pretty typical, but some of it is custom. It has an ATI stock, shell holder, sling, and a laser/light combo. The laser is controlled with a pressure switch on the fore grip. The light is controlled with a microswitch that I mounted to be controlled with the side of my trigger finger. The only other mod is a small aluminum lever (which still needs to be painted) to make the slide release more ergonomic. On the Mossbergs its very tough to get your thumb to the the release with a tactical stock, so the lever was my solution. What do you think?

Attachments

• 0923121804.jpg
      0923121804.jpg
      57.7 KB · Views: 281
    • 0923121803.jpg
      0923121803.jpg
      35 KB · Views: 271
    • 0922121521.jpg
      0922121521.jpg
      38.8 KB · Views: 280

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    I would dehorn the edges on that release deal you made. I'd hate for you to cut your thumb. If you want, you can send it to me and I'll duracoat it for you. Free of course, just meet up with me or ship it to me.

cjl7

Apr 2, 2012
    I would dehorn the edges on that release deal you made. I'd hate for you to cut your thumb. If you want, you can send it to me and I'll duracoat it for you. Free of course, just meet up with me or ship it to me.

I appreciate the offer. You can't tell on the pics, but I rounded off all of the edges on a vertical belt sander, so its nice and smooth on the thumb :). I'll let you know about the duracoating though! I want to make a few changes too it before I coat it. It was just a scrap piece of aluminum I had, so I want to mill it down to about the same thickness of the original release so it doesn't stick out as far.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    It looks great but a couple questions

I used a AR stock on mine for half a class. It worked against the ergonomics of the controls for me. How do you make it run?

Does you light activation switch interfer with you getting to the slide release?

I noticed you keep the ammo in the stock primer down. Which handed are you?

Elgan

NRA Endowment Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Harford County
    Interesting slide release mod - I like it. I have the same issue with my Mossy 500 w/ Knoxx stock, so I might look into something like this as a solution. Thanks for the post!

cjl7

Apr 2, 2012
    It looks great but a couple questions

I used a AR stock on mine for half a class. It worked against the ergonomics of the controls for me. How do you make it run?

Does you light activation switch interfer with you getting to the slide release?

I noticed you keep the ammo in the stock primer down. Which handed are you?

Im not sure I quite understand your first question, but Ill try to explain my set up. Im right handed. I keep the shells "upside down" in the holder because for some reason I find it faster to push them out with my thumb on top and index finger on bottom and then load. I know most people keep them the other way? The light activation switch is on the opposite side of the gun from the slide release so it does not interfere. To control it I use the side of my index finger, proximal to where I pull the trigger, so my finger never has to leave a comfortable mounted position to work the light. Finally, the ergonomics of releasing the slide were terrible until I made the slide release lever (pictured above). Now its as simple as a movement of my thumb forward in a comfortable grip position. Hopefully that helps?

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    Oh I see it is a slide release. I thought it was the light switch.

What I meant about ergo is the safety on the top of the shotgun. I could not engage it or disengage it easily. The same was true about the slide release with a pistol grip. Nice fix on the slide release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom