What is the Fascination with Muzzleloaders?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    nice collection!!!

Thanks.
    The Colt 2nd generations remain unfired along with the Sharps.
    The 1861 Navy I used to shoot a lot along with the Smith carbine. The Wells Fargo and the 1858 New Army were bought as shooters but have not been shot yet.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I have a Walker, a 1860 Old Army and a modern inline TC Arms Omega for harvesting deer. Love the smoke, the smell; the thunder of the powder going off; and the appreciation of each shot. All of this was stated before in this thread. :thumbsup:

2414fie.jpg

Have taken many deer with this:

2lms84g.jpg

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I have absolutely ZERO experience when it comes to muzzleloaders!! For my education, please help me understand the fascination with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0ApnRX_g5Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l4alj6RRkM

Seems like a lot of work to me but perhaps that's what's so enjoyable

Is it expensive to get started and going?

TIA!!

For many years, I was reluctant to get started with BP.
    Then, Thompson Center came out with the "White Mountain Carbine".
    Wow!!!!!! What a GORGEOUS little rifle!

By the time that I made up my mind to buy one....... they had been discontinued. (insert a crying like a baby, sniffling moron emoticon, here.):D

Then, a good friend offered me a TC smoke pole. A "Treehawk" .50 caliber.
    It's similar to the White Mountain Carbine, but, has camo stock and no half round/half octagon barrel.
    The price was too good to pass up. 1 set of .44 magnum carbide dies.
    (Just so happened that Natchez had 'em on sale for $24.95 + s/h.!):D

Then, I won a TC Omega (inline), and 6 months later, I won a TC Triumph (inline). These were at a firehouse 'gun grab', a few years ago.
    All in .50 caliber.

The GREAT part of muzzle loaders and BP is taking your time to shoot/clean/etc., instead of shooting 10-20 or more rounds and chasing brass.

My first trip to the range with a muzzle loader, I shot 10 rounds in about an hour, and was grinnin' like a little kid with a lollipop!

I really like shooting BP!!!!!!!! C'mon in. The water's fine!

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm at one muzzle loader rifle, two C&B revolvers, and I'm loading my cowboy guns with BP. 2ccs of FFFg behind a 165gr LFP in 44-40 makes for a smokey day at the range, shot out of either a Uberti Henry or a brace of Bisleys.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    There's nothing quite like standing on the firing line, stuffing your ramrod down a waiting black hole, slathering your balls with grease, and then having as many as nine nipples at your disposal.

Last edited:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    The recoil (rifle) is so different, too. Instead of a jab in the shoulder, it's more like a nudge. A totally different feel.

to add to the list...with a well placed shot and proper bullet/powder combo typically the animal doesnt go far if anywhere when you shoot it. Knockdown power is amazing.:D

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Then, Thompson Center came out with the "White Mountain Carbine".
    Wow!!!!!! What a GORGEOUS little rifle!

I hunt with mine all the time. I have killed a lot of deer with it.

Have used more than a few, including inline models, but I love my White Mountain Carbine the most, and its my "go to" for muzzleloader season.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    tvblog.png

The living history is a fun way to spend a weekend. French & Indian era rendezvous were something I'd have liked to have gotten involved with.

It's a hell of a lot of fun.

Once upon a time I was a member of the recreated 1st Maryland Regiment which is a Revolutionary War unit. That's what got me in to blackpowder, and though I don't have time for re-enacting any more, I still have my Pedersoli Charleville musket at home, and it's a hell of a lot of fun to shoot.

As others have said, the link to history, the feel and smell and manual involvement in the process of firing the gun - all of it is very cool and a lot of fun.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    As a massive fan of the Sharpe's Rifles series of books, I've been hankering for a Baker Rifle for awhile now.

My interest has been purely historical up until now. I'm starting to think hunting with one would be more than a little fun...

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Actually the Le Matt had a nine shot cylinder plus the shotgun so it is 10 nipples.

Dang it! ... er, I knew that, I just didn't want to alert the anti's that there was this high capacity assault antique out there. Yeah, that's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom