• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Purchasing surplus ammo is going to be a nightmare! There maybe is only one or two places in MD that carries the stuff. I cant go to Walmart to get a crate of mosin ammo. Now that I think about it, Walmart will not be selling ammo anymore either unless the store has a FFL. Westminster does not. FUDGEEEEEE

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    They're fools. Let them grandstand gun and ammo control right before the elections. It worked wonderfully for Al Gore.

Keep your fingers crossed that history repeats itself.

See you at the polls.
    It bothers me that somehow they're confident despite knowing that.

oom

Mar 22, 2011
    Semper said:
    [*]It requires licensed ammunition dealers to report the sale of more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition to an unlicensed person within any five consecutive business days.
    [/LIST]

What the hell?

And suddenly every one starts buying ammo in multiple orders of 980...

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Regardless, any such bill would be DOA in the House.

And the Senate.

It's already law to prove you are 18 or older for rifle ammo, and 21 or older for handgun ammo.

Some online vendors have asked for ID (scanned and emailed), to stay within the existing law.

you don't have to prove you're 18 or older for rifle and 21 or older for handgun ammo online I don't believe. I never have had to, I've just had to click a box saying that I was. Only place I have had to is AIM, where I needed to scan a pic of my drivers license.

Regardless this bill is bullshi* and will not reduce crime or mass shootings or anything. Only hurt small business owners.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    And suddenly every one starts buying ammo in multiple orders of 980...

There would also be a check box to 'split an order,' if you order more than 1 case of 980 or 950 or whatever box count they come in, check the box (could be automatic as well) and the online seller would just split the transaction up for you and ship and charge it separately. That regulation would be so easy to get a round it cracks me up! Just like the MD 30 round mag regulation.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    The new legislation, dubbed the Stop Online Ammunition Sales Act, rests on four pillars, according to Lautenberg's office:

1. It requires anyone selling ammunition to be a licensed dealer.
    2. It requires ammunition buyers who are not licensed dealers to present photo identification at the time of purchase, effectively banning the online or mail order purchase of ammo by regular civilians.
    3. It requires licensed ammunition dealers to maintain records of the sale of ammunition.
    4. It requires licensed ammunition dealers to report the sale of more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition to an unlicensed person within any five consecutive business days.

What the hell?

Apparent there are alot of members on this forum that don't remember or are too young to have been around purchasing ammo commencing the '68 GCA to the mid-late eighties. It was Federal Law for a Licensed Firearms Dealer to comply with the first three of the four aforementioned [*]'s. Yes, we had to maintain a Bound Book for ammo dispositions. The information we had to enter for each transaction was;
    1. Purchaser's name
    2. Purchaser's address
    3. IIRC date of birth
    all of which were from purchaser's driver's license
    4. What type(s) of ammo, caliber, and quantity of each
    this was all done strictly on a face-to-face transaction, no such thing as mail order.

Yep, that's how it was back then and it could be resurrected once again. Gotta' admit though, the timing is not right for the flaming assed D's to pursue it now before the election.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Those people have no clue how many normal law abiding people buy ammo by the case. They simply have no clue about what they're trying to regulate.

If a tennis player needed a new replacement ball for every single swing of the racket, that is, if tennis balls couldn't be used twice, then they would buy their balls by the thousand. A serious tennis player would probably use a thousand a month.

The real irony is, the thugs and criminals will try to buy one cartridge at a time.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Apparent there are alot of members on this forum that don't remember or are too young to have been around purchasing ammo commencing the '68 GCA to the mid-late eighties. It was Federal Law for a Licensed Firearms Dealer to comply with the first three of the four aforementioned [*]'s. Yes, we had to maintain a Bound Book for ammo dispositions. The information we had to enter for each transaction was;
    1. Purchaser's name
    2. Purchaser's address
    3. IIRC date of birth
    this was all done strictly on a face-to-face transaction, no such thing as mail order.

Yep, that's how it was back then and it could be resurrected once again. Gotta' admit though, the timing is not right for the flaming assed D's to pursue it now before the election.

Did not know that. But then again, I am 24.

Scary, though.

However, I don't think this will pass, even in the Senate. I bet at least 10 dems go with the repubs.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    1. Purchaser's name
    2. Purchaser's address
    3. IIRC date of birth

I bought my first gun right after that and started buying ammo by mail order and most of the time have bought that way ever since ... I didn't know it just changed in the '80's. I bet before '68 you could buy ammo out of the Sears catalog

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I bought my first gun right after that and started buying ammo by mail order and most of the time have bought that way ever since ... I didn't know it just changed in the '80's. I bet before '68 you could buy ammo out of the Sears catalog................

...........and the guns, too.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    In the '50s, my father and his classmates used to take their rifles to school for show and tell, both on the school bus and by walking to school. This was in a semi-urban area, too, not out in the sticks. Compare that to where we are now. It's a sad state of affairs today. Every action is being criminalized.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I guess there not going to let a tragedy go to waste. Filthy bastages

The idea of never letting a tragedy go unexploited is nothing new to politics and public policy development. Ironically, the term used by policy developers to describe an event that opens a window of opportunity for pushing through desired legislation is called a "triggering event".

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    In the '50s, my father and his classmates used to take their rifles to school for show and tell, both on the school bus and by walking to school. This was in a semi-urban area, too, not out in the sticks. Compare that to where we are now. It's a sad state of affairs today. Every action is being criminalized.

In my senior year of high school I did a history report that traced key events in American wars by showing some of the firearms that were used. I walked into school with my arms loaded with gun cases like they were firewood, and the only comments I got about it were offers from the history teacher and vice-principal to buy some of my rifles if I ever got short on cash. That was in the mid-60s.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    In my senior year of high school I did a history report that traced key events in American wars by showing some of the firearms that were used. I walked into school with my arms loaded with gun cases like they were firewood, and the only comments I got about it were offers from the history teacher and vice-principal to buy some of my rifles if I ever got short on cash. That was in the mid-60s.

We used to shoot .22lr rifles in the basement of our elementary school after school dismissal every week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom