• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have aquired an Italian carcano from my grandfather when he passed away. I know zero about them and was wondering if someone could lete know what I have. It's in good shape and the bore is great. Numbers matching as far as I can see. Any help would be great.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      49.2 KB · Views: 244

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    1917 dated Terni M1891/28. 6.5x52mm. I believe they were originally long rifles cut down to short rifle configuration. Indicative of the rifle length rear sight. Is the stock mismatched from the receiver? It looks like it might have been refinished but I've seen a number of Carcanos that stocks were sanded in arsenal refurb.

Does it have a "Made in Italy" marking on the receiver?

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Yes it says made in Italy right on the top of the reciever. The stock numbers are different now that I look at it but it has never been refinished as far as his ownership or mine. Thanks for the info. I can't wait to try and find ammo and shoot this thing.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    My grandfather called it a mauser for as long as I can remember. I tried telling him it wasn't and he wouldn't accept that. I knew better. Guess you couldn't convince an old guy of something he didn't think was right.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    1917 dated Terni M1891/28. 6.5x52mm. I believe they were originally long rifles cut down to short rifle configuration. Indicative of the rifle length rear sight. Is the stock mismatched from the receiver? It looks like it might have been refinished but I've seen a number of Carcanos that stocks were sanded in arsenal refurb.

Does it have a "Made in Italy" marking on the receiver?

Does the "17" stamped in it mean 1917? I have one and now I need to look at it to see what it's stamped.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Does the "17" stamped in it mean 1917? I have one and now I need to look at it to see what it's stamped.

Yes, that is what it means. Interestingly enough, I have a m91/38 in 7.35 that was originally an M91 long rifle made in 1917 that was cut down, rebored, and converted to an m91/38. It still retains its original markings on the barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom