• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • donw@fyi.net

Mar 20, 2014
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I decided to forgive my wife for giving me an old used gun for Christmas.

I had my new (to me) C96 Mauser Broomhandle down at the NRA Range today. It was, literally, exciting to shoot a 100 year old gun. (Mine was made in 1912.) That 7.63 Mauser cartridge is a surprisingly peppy bullet.

I also caused a small stir among the red shirts (the NRA RSOs) and a few bystanders. A couple of them just HAD to try few shots and I was proud to let them feel the kick of a Brooomhandle

I honestly do not understand people who collect guns only to become “safe queens” or objects d’arte. A gun was made to shoot. The bore was bright and shiny. Metal, if its cared for, doesn’t age. My new Broomhandle is so much more valuable to me because I felt its recoil in my hand and discovered the power of a bottle-necked 30 cal. pistol round.

I certainly don’t plan on hauling it out on a weekly basis but that won’t be the only time I ever shoot it.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    You got a re-gifted present for Christmas? :)

Those are cool guns, congratulations!

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Wow,

She gave you and old crusty gun?!?!?!

Tell her, she should go out and buy you a new one immediately!!!!!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    My C96 was a Chinese import in the early 90s and stupid rough. The importers back then were refinishing and re-chambering them to 9 x 19mm because of all the surface pitting and shot out bores. So mine has no real collector value. If it were complete with original bits I'd be hard placed to justify losing hundreds of dollars of value breaking a FP or bolt stop (these esp). But that's me, I can afford two examples. One for track day and one for the museum.
    Had to replace all the springs, some worn safety bits, FP and bolt stop before it was safe and reliable (broken FP gave me a serious scare when she went FA with only 3 rounds left in the magazine). But with the shoulder stock attached and everything in good working order it's a bucket of fun. Loves Norinco 9mm ammo. Just have to keep the web of your hand away from that hammer!

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Awesome, one of those is on my list to get eventually!

And, if you don't own one or haven't shot one, since you like the Mauser cartridge so much you definitely need to have fun shooting some 7.62x25 (Tokarev) as well!

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I honestly do not understand people who collect guns only to become “safe queens” or objects d’arte. A gun was made to shoot.

It depends upon the gun and the circumstances. In most cases, but not all, I agree with you. On the other hand, shooting a gun doesn't necessarily always mean taking it out into the woods in the rain, carrying it all day in a holster, etc. You can shoot a really nice gun and still take care of it.

donw@fyi.net

Mar 20, 2014
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I very much agree

It depends upon the gun and the circumstances. In most cases, but not all, I agree with you. On the other hand, shooting a gun doesn't necessarily always mean taking it out into the woods in the rain, carrying it all day in a holster, etc. You can shoot a really nice gun and still take care of it.

I very much agree. I am about to acquire a really pristine 1941 Walther PPK with the extremely rare W suffix. It is supposed to be the ultimate carry gun. I can't imagine carrying it in a holster every day. I am curious about the feel of this "ultimate carry gun" and will have it down at the NRA Range a day or two after I receive it. Then it will sit on a shelf for a long time before I blow the cobwebs out of it again.

Jul 1, 2012
    Now that's one I wouldn't shoot. Just me. There are tons of other PP/PPKs out there.
    One careless moment and you've scratched it, or cracked the grips, or.... whatever.
    Those grips are very fragile if you haven't had one of these before.

Was that the Grey Blanket gun on GB?

donw@fyi.net

Mar 20, 2014
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Now that's one I wouldn't shoot. Just me. There are tons of other PP/PPKs out there.
    One careless moment and you've scratched it, or cracked the grips, or.... whatever.
    Those grips are very fragile if you haven't had one of these before.

Was that the Grey Blanket gun on GB?

I think you sold me on not firing the PPK. Every ad I read for a PPK mentioned "some minor cracks in the grips" or " A perfect grip is unknown" Well mine is perfect and I would hate to crack it. O.K. It sits on a shelf and looks pretty :-(

Jul 1, 2012
    Or just swap out the grips for firing - but it's still a risk of cracking it while fiddling with it.
    Over-tightening is always an issue; never understood why people have to apply 50 ft-lbs to a grip screw.... it's not going to fly off...

Good news is now you can go find another one so you can shoot :)

BTW the under-bidder is a very knowledgeable PP/PPK collector if you didn't recognize his "handle".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom