• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justiw

Jan 26, 2012
    It seems the US District court in Sacramento upheld the microstamping requirements (shocker, an Obama appointee).

The case is Pena v. Cid, 09-cv-01185, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California (Sacramento)

https://www.calgunsfoundation.org/2015/02/federal-court-california-handgun-roster-does-not-violate-second-amendment-rights/

Technology that is so easily defeated is totally worthless. It's a poll tax if there ever was one. The logic that a defacto ban on all new handguns does not infringe on 2A rights is the most ridiculous thing I have seen in quite a while. Are there any manufacturers planning to implement this?

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    It seems the US District court in Sacramento upheld the microstamping requirements (shocker, an Obama appointee).

The case is Pena v. Cid, 09-cv-01185, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California (Sacramento)

https://www.calgunsfoundation.org/2015/02/federal-court-california-handgun-roster-does-not-violate-second-amendment-rights/

Technology that is so easily defeated is totally worthless. It's a poll tax if there ever was one. The logic that a defacto ban on all new handguns does not infringe on 2A rights is the most ridiculous thing I have seen in quite a while. Are there any manufacturers planning to implement this?

S&W and Ruger have already pulled out of the CA market.

Both Ruger and Smith & Wesson Will Stop Selling New Guns in California Due to Microstamping Law

No doubt the PRofMD (aka California in Miniature) will attempt to mimic the CA microstamping law.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    The show is not over until the fat lady sings, and I expect this decision will be appealed, possibly all the way to the US Supreme Court. When you have a company like Glock involved, trust me, they have very deep pockets, very deep indeed, and just because some Kommiefornia Obama appointee judge upheld the state law, doesn't necessarily mean it will stand up to higher court challenges.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    True ...

The show is not over until the fat lady sings, and I expect this decision will be appealed, possibly all the way to the US Supreme Court. When you have a company like Glock involved, trust me, they have very deep pockets, very deep indeed, and just because some Kommiefornia Obama appointee judge upheld the state law, doesn't necessarily mean it will stand up to higher court challenges.

But the gears of Federal courts under Obama and his appointees grind exceedingly slow. Until we're rid of him, much damage will be done to Glock, S&W, Ruger and others business. Especially if other states try to mimic.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Are there any manufacturers planning to implement this?

Hopefully, manufacturers will adopt the same course that Barrett did, and refuse to sell anything to CA; once the police departments hit the wall with no firearms to be purchased, things will change.

This would be an interesting development.

Edit: I'd delayed posting, didn't see EL1227's post until afterward. This is great news.

And another edit: Glock filed an amicus brief back in 2013 over the micostamping. Just saw the resurrected thread.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=137217

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    wiki, for what it's worth, says

Similar legislation is under consideration in New York,[9] Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Maryland, Wisconsin, and Illinois.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microstamping

Anybody with first hand knowledge of any such proposed legislation in our lovely state know when this could potentially become law..??

Glock and Smith & Wesson are probably the two most popular and widely used handguns by police agencies nationwide, if these two giants refuse to sell their products in any state that enacts a microstamping requirement, the cops in those states are going to be in a serious bind when it comes time to retire and/or upgrade their service guns.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I'm sure glad buffing wheels and rouge can't polish out those micro-marks.:rolleyes:

Are they going to ban replacing firing pins next?

Good on the manufacturers for not playing ball.

justiw

Jan 26, 2012
    Who needs expensive machinery? Just give it a quick rub on the sidewalk and gtg. Not to mention it will wear off under normal use. I would bet within 1000 rds.

navyis2

im a grown ass man
    Oct 10, 2013
    Lexington, KY
    The 9th has been unbelievably good for gun rights lately. So i would rather see this get pushed up anyways. It going to appeal can help all of us fight this sort of law, depending on the language used.

navyis2

im a grown ass man
    Oct 10, 2013
    Lexington, KY
    I'm sure glad buffing wheels and rouge can't polish out those micro-marks.:rolleyes:

Are they going to ban replacing firing pins next?

Good on the manufacturers for not playing ball.

Not to mention that most guns used in crime are stolen or brought in from other states so it isn't likely that they would have the new stamps.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I think I'll go into the business of making hardened steel Practice rounds. Each will carry the warning that if you try to actually fire one it could damage your firing pin and destroy any micro stamping identification.

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    Abrasive snap caps.

But as long as CA has an exemption for LE agencies , they won't be effected. :

1. While brand G and brand M&P are highly popular , there are a whole buncha guns that are capable of LE Duty.

2. How would G or S&W stop them ? They can discontinue factory direct super special pricing, but there are still dozens if not hundreds of distributors in the country , any you wouldn't need to search long to find several happy to make large sales at their usual prices.

And how often do LE pistols actually wear out ? Other than wanting the latest thing to keep up with the Cool Kids, pistol replacement is timed to replace everything before ANY are likely to need repair , primarily because of logistics of taking large number of pistols out of service for armourer attention , and the dirt cheap pricing on large agency purchases vs the salery of armorers. But that can easily enough be worked around.

Best two ways :
    1. Increase number of armorers , and have them positioned farther down the food chain to be on hand for frequent inspections and repairs.

2. Have a fleet of dedicated "Training Pistols" for initial training and requalifications. When actual Duty Pistols are only fire a mag full for function test once or twice a year , their life span become essentially infinate , and the relatively small number of training guns can be rebuilt every year if need be.

In the Revolver Era with NYPD , it was not unusual for revolvers to be handed down from father to son to even grandson , and never having needed repair.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I wish California would just fall off into the Pacific Ocean like the scientists say to going to do. Oceanfront Las Vegas. Sounds kinda nice!

Jim Smith

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    California is a beautiful state, too bad it's populated by so many idiots.

Maryland *still* collects fired shell casings, and what a complete waste of tax dollars that turned out to be. LEOs haven't done anything with them for years now. God forbid Annapolis lawmakers admit they were wrong and roll that requirement back.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Abrasive snap caps.

2. How would G or S&W stop them ? They can discontinue factory direct super special pricing, but there are still dozens if not hundreds of distributors in the country , any you wouldn't need to search long to find several happy to make large sales at their usual prices.

Simple, they prohibit the sale to LE via the distributor agreement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom