• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    The papers are in the mail, so I'm hopefully soon to be a C&R holder. One of the things I'm itching for in my first phases of the addiction is a Mak ('one' he says, yeh right). I like the history and mechanics and ballistics of the pistols, on paper, and have held a couple and they feel decent in my hand, so I want one.

There are so many sources and conditions and special versions and so on that it's like collecting Garands, or 1911s, or Mosins, or... !! So where does a guy read up to learn the basics? First one I get I don't want to be looking for collectability, but for shootability.

Russian, Bulgarian, Romanian, East German? Good web supplier or IP with better connections? Price for the actual gun vs. how much more is the back story worth? Are the other mak-chambered guns more my thing? CZ, others?

Questions everybody works through.

And then what about the Tokarevs? (I don't think I like the round characteristics, I'll have to fire some to see) but the same stuff will come back. For now, let's stick to Makarov pistols and compatibles chambered in 9x18 mak rounds...

Let the education commence!

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Only the East German and Russian are C&R, as I understand it. And I think the commercial Russians (with adjustable sights) are not C&R.

The other C&R 9x18s are the Polish P64 and the Czech CZ 82. You should get both.

There's also a Hungarian 9x18, made by FEG. It is very similar to a Walther PP, a sharp looking gun, but not C&R.

The CZ82 has a fantastic trigger and a twelve round mag. The P64 is small, with tiny sights and about a 30 pound DA trigger. They're actually quite accurate. The trigger can be improved with an 18 lb replacement spring.

These are snappy little guns, especially the P64, due to the blowback action.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I thought only East German Maks and True (and scarce) Russians were C&R.

Werent most of the Bulgarian Makarovs made in the 70s and 80s? Shame because the Bulgies are quality and available. A Bulgy was my first handgun (and yes I still have it).

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    E German are the way to go for a true Mak. I picked up a clean one a few years back, and it has been a great shooter, smooth predictable trigger in DA and SA, accurate, and really easy to shoot well. CZ82s are great too, not a true Mak, but the greater capacity and wider grip to spread the snappy recoil are worthwhile improvements. The tok round is a different animal, bought a CZ52 and a bunch of milsurp ammo, it's a ton of fun to shoot, especially at longer ranges, the pistol is accurate, and the small thin sights that suck for combat are great for targets, it's essentially 32cal, about the same weight as the 9x18Mak, but 500fps faster and about twice the energy, loud and throws a decent fireball.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    This is from my view.

I have handled just about every Makarov and Tokarev variation. Every one is comparable for function and use. Some might be more collectable or rarer than others, but to get you started off get the cheapest one you can get. Once you determine you like shooting MAK and TOK, then go for the maker you want.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    IMO, for the money you have to shell out for an actual C&R true Makarov, it isn't worth it if you just want a shooter for the first one.

They are awesome, no doubt, but as cool as the CZ82 is, and since you want a shooter first, that's your best bet. Many would argue that it is a better gun, it is C&R, and the prices are still very reasonable.

Don't get me wrong, I have a Russian Mak and my dad has a Bulgarian, they are sweet and an important part of history, but I would pick a CZ82 over one all day.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    only the east german and russian are C&R, sometimes the baikal will be sold as one, sometimes not- I'd be wary of purchasing a commercial model that way.

As for the pistol it's self

THEY ARE AWESOME

There is a reason they were the soviet sidearm for so long. They are built like tanks and it is almost impossible to make them not fire.

MAC on youtube did a video where he literally filled the magazine and gun internals and slide rails with WET SAND among other things, and that pistol did not miss a beat.

I tend to go through phases where i will prefer the CZ-82 or the Mak. both are OUTSTANDING weapons.

I did some wetpack and gelatin tests, 115 grain XTP and critical defense have the best terminal ballistics, and also strangely sliver bear ball ammo leaves relatively large wounds, and I don't know why. seems weird that it would tumble as the projectil is almost spherical in the silver bear, but it does some serious damage.

The XTP tend to be the better performers in my experience, and I often will carry a mak as my CCW just because it is so damned small and dependable, although if I'm being completely honest, the vast majority of the time now I am carrying either my SR-40c or my P64 (also a mak family member)

I tend to use Maks as desk guns because I can keep them with a round in the chamber hammer down for pretty much ever without having to worry about spring fatigue or anything. It's literally ready at a moment's notice, and they are by and large INCREDIBLY ACCURATE handguns. One thing I will say is this- compared to the other pistols firing the 9x18 the Makarov PM tends to have the most pleasant recoil impulse. Even the CZ-82 can become a bit irksome after a box or two of ammo, but the Mak PM is just fun fun fun.

I almost always bring the bulgy when introducing new shooters to pistols. the guns are just intuitive to use, and novices tend to be more accurate with them than other handguns. The look in their eyes when they realize they are hitting what they are aiming at is priceless, and a great way to make a convert.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    In the days of cheap Makarov's there used to be a website Makarov.com. It was great, but has since vanished.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    A Mak will be my next C&R purchase as I just got a Tok (Rom) and a Nagant. Will likely persue a Russian Tok and a true Russian Mak :)

ww2

Nov 21, 2014
    I enjoy shooting my Bulgarian Mak the most. The double action is sooo smooth. My ex and I used to joke about the gun from Bulge Area.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Yup, P64s and CZ82s both.

Buy 'em by the bagful...

Those P64s look pretty well-finished, like someone cleaned up some rough edges on the Mak design.

The CZ82 will be harder, I don't have an out of state address to send the mags to. Tempting, though.

Damn, I don't even have the C&R yet and listen to me - planning my way to the poorhouse!

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Sad I missed that whole era. They had all kinds of products for sale too, bummer.

Yeah, maks, mausers, skss, ect. all were "cheap". I try to look for the bargains of today... 24 months ago it was Nagant revolvers for $89 (now they are much more).... will Mosin Nagant rifles or Star B pistols be what we are talking about in 5 years? Your guess is as good as mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom