• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That made up number will only lead to confusion over the years.

I'll bet 2/3s of attempts to run the numbers will involve someone entering the wrong number. Sheer bureaucratic stupidity.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I'm at least 3% sure you're supposed to use the importer's serial number, if there is one.

yes, you are... that's how it was recorded by the importer.

Yep ... if you look at the receipt for a gun like that (if you bought it from the importer or a larger retailer), you'll see that the serial number listed on it is the one that the importer added. I don't think there's anything wrong with also logging the original serial number, but the BATFE is going to consider whatever the importer logged as the official number.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Yep ... if you look at the receipt for a gun like that (if you bought it from the importer or a larger retailer), you'll see that the serial number listed on it is the one that the importer added. I don't think there's anything wrong with also logging the original serial number, but the BATFE is going to consider whatever the importer logged as the official number.

Here's a twist to this issue. I recently received a non-import marked Berthier M16, which has the serial number on the barrel under the hand guard. The seller's invoice references the rifle using the S/N that appears on the bolt, which is not the actual S/N. I chose to log it using the actual S/N and not the number that appears on the seller's invoice. Is that correct/safe?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    You can also record both numbers, and the manufacturer. I always do. Put them in parenthesis after the importer name and SN. Why? Most importer info can be easily scrubbed and retouched. It's much more difficult for a thief to scrub the original numbers, which tend to be deeply stamped in multiple places. On a side note, some clowns, even locally, make a habit of scrubbing importer info and reselling as "no import marks" for $$$ to unsuspecting dupes.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Here's a twist to this issue. I recently received a non-import marked Berthier M16, which has the serial number on the barrel under the hand guard. The seller's invoice references the rifle using the S/N that appears on the bolt, which is not the actual S/N. I chose to log it using the actual S/N and not the number that appears on the seller's invoice. Is that correct/safe?

Common issue since Berthiers are often mismatched. You logged it as I would. ATF is almost certain to side with you if an audit ever happens.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Just got this measly thing, Luckily my buddy Gumby was here to check it out.:D

Attachments

• IMG_9958.JPG
      IMG_9958.JPG
      55.9 KB · Views: 212
    • IMG_9960.JPG
      IMG_9960.JPG
      57.9 KB · Views: 222
    • IMG_9968.JPG
      IMG_9968.JPG
      33.9 KB · Views: 218
    • IMG_9972.jpg
      IMG_9972.jpg
      53.4 KB · Views: 390

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    That photo needs a bubble caption I"m Gumby Dammit!

That's one fine SKS

No way, the kid is not allowed to say that :lol2:

Thats about the hardest Russian to come by, the 53 and 54 Izhevsk rifles are the most collectible Russian SKS rifles . the 1949 tula is also a hard one. I have sold pretty much all my normal Russians and now have both 1953 and 1954 Izhevsk. Here is the 54

Attachments

• IMG_4740.JPG
      IMG_4740.JPG
      63.1 KB · Views: 159
    • IMG_4743.JPG
      IMG_4743.JPG
      37.5 KB · Views: 156

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Crappy picture, but got these guys last week from a friend. Luckily he sold me one of his Czechpoint unissued Vz. 52's since I didn't pull the trigger while they had them in stock. The other is from a different importer, but looks just as nice as the unissued one. Neither have a refurb mark.

Attachments

• IMG_20150206_174336_699.jpg
      IMG_20150206_174336_699.jpg
      57.8 KB · Views: 149

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    My buddy just got these in, thought I would share

Beretta 92S, excellent with handpick from SOG
    Beretta 51 from Cdisales on GB

Attachments