What is the Fascination with Muzzleloaders?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I guess the smoke part is cool... I just don't have the patience to deal with it, haha.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Half the fun is the ability to tweak loads on the spot. No reloading bench required.

Smoke!

Yes it's more work to clean up but not too bad.

Smoke!

You connect with history and gain an appreciation for how firearms were handled for hundreds of years prior to cartridges.

Did I mention smoke?

Get started for ~$300, maybe even less.

You forgot grease. it can get in places I won't talk about. It is just a dirty way to shoot firearms. Now that I've said that. I did enjoy the experience of learning what people had to go through in the beginning of firearms training. I then bought a savage muzzle loader that was much more civilized. Even became a NRA muzzle loading instructor but I usually only teach that class upon request. Still fun to go deer hunting with a muzzle loader. You want to knock it down on the first shot.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The recoil (rifle) is so different, too. Instead of a jab in the shoulder, it's more like a nudge. A totally different feel.

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    tvblog.png

The living history is a fun way to spend a weekend. French & Indian era rendezvous were something I'd have liked to have gotten involved with.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    The smoke is nice, as is the fireball.
    black-powder-at-dusk-660x439.jpg

NFA does not apply (such as the LeMat revolver, a NINE shot .44 revolver with a 20 ga shotgun as the center pin. Shotgun barrel is about 6" long)

Lemat.jpg

You can get them mail order. No FFL

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Perfect for home defense: shock and awe. It creates an instant smoke screen allowing for a ninja like retreat.

All joking aside, I like my muzzle loader for hunting and the occasional target practice with it. It is a modern muzzle loader and it is very accurate. It has harvested several deer.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Muzzleloaders give you accuracy beyond shotgun distances for hunting, when rifles are not an option.

100 to 200 yard shots are the norm.

The smoke is like a present. You have to wait for the smoke to clear, to see the effectiveness of your preparation and skills.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I don't believe it's necessarily a fascination but just another extension of one's shooting experience. I would prefer to shoot my modern day firearms, but I also like my BP rifles and pistols. For me, it's another outlet for my shooting hobby.

Jim Smith

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    I got hooked on BP when I got involved in CW reenacting when I was still in high school. That lead to joining the Muzzle loading club at AGC. I sort of got away from shooting them to just 'collecting' BP stuff. I started a collection of second generation Colts. I sold some of them a few years later. BIG mistake. I still have some of them though. Below are a few things I still own.

Colt 2nd generation 1860 Army Butterfield Commemorative (1 of 500)
    Colt 2nd generation 1862 Pocket Police
    1849 Wells Fargo repro
    1861 Navy repro
    Smith Carbine (one of 500 made as a repro by a guy named Yeck, before anyone else made reproductions of the Smith)
    Pietta 1858 New Army Remington
    Colt 2nd generation 1860 Army
    Colt 2nd generation 3rd Dragoon
    Sharps reproduction

Attachments

• IMG_0297.jpg
      IMG_0297.jpg
      70.4 KB · Views: 371
    • IMG_0298.jpg
      IMG_0298.jpg
      66 KB · Views: 375
    • IMG_0300.jpg
      IMG_0300.jpg
      68.1 KB · Views: 368
    • IMG_0301.jpg
      IMG_0301.jpg
      71.7 KB · Views: 412
    • Remington 01 001.jpg
      Remington 01 001.jpg
      76.1 KB · Views: 375
    • 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      99.1 KB · Views: 324
    • IMG_0299.jpg
      IMG_0299.jpg
      73.5 KB · Views: 418
    • Sharps carbine.jpg
      Sharps carbine.jpg
      71.3 KB · Views: 383

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    I've got a brass .44 black powder revolver, which has never been shot. $275 display gun. I'll probably never shoot the damn thing. No interest.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Modern muz loaders are definitely easier to clean. With Tripple 7, I don't even use soap. Just water unless it's really fouled up(range trip).

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I grew up shooting BP, so it's normal. I keep shooting because I'm good at it...and I like competition. Not to mention the intimidation factor when the people shooting suppository guns realize I'm shooting a group half the size they ever could - at twice the distance (easy these days, I'm afraid)

Besides, the guns have personality. Especially once you get into duelling pistols.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Helps connect with history, the shot heard around the world was from a flintlock muzzle loader.

Makes you understand things like: Flash in the pan, straight as a ramrod, the fog of war, and lock stock and barrel.

Not everyone does it. You will see people looking on in wonder and admiration, unless they are down wind.

No HQL, FFL, NICS etc.

When the SHTF you can make your own powder.

Did I mention the boom and smoke.:clap:

I got percussion cap and flint lock in both rifle and pistol now thinking about making a matchlock just because.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Here are some links for you to wet your appetite .

You are within driving distance of one of the famous Muzzle loading activities. The Gunmakers’ Fair at Dixons will be July 24, 25,& 26, 2015
    http://www.dixonmuzzleloading.com/33rd-annual-gunmakers-fair-dixons-will-july-24-25-26-2015/

Here are a couple of sites with catalogs you can drool over:
    Track of the Wolf.
    http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Category.aspx/485

Dixie Gun Works.
    http://www.dixiegunworks.com/default.php?cPath=22_162

The national associations:
    National Muzzle Loading Rifle Assoc.
    http://nmlra.org/

The North-South Skirmish Assoc.
    http://www.n-ssa.org/index.php

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I got hooked on BP when I got involved in CW reenacting when I was still in high school. That lead to joining the Muzzle loading club at AGC. I sort of got away from shooting them to just 'collecting' BP stuff. I started a collection of second generation Colts. I sold some of them a few years later. BIG mistake. I still have some of them though. Below are a few things I still own.

Colt 2nd generation 1860 Army Butterfield Commemorative (1 of 500)
    Colt 2nd generation 1862 Pocket Police
    1849 Wells Fargo repro
    1861 Navy repro
    Smith Carbine (one of 500 made as a repro by a guy named Yeck, before anyone else made reproductions of the Smith)
    Pietta 1858 New Army Remington
    Colt 2nd generation 1860 Army
    Colt 2nd generation 3rd Dragoon
    Sharps reproduction

nice collection!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z