• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    Also, I just checked the mail and discovered that my criminal history has come back spotless and the fingerprint national criminal registry investigation has been initiated.

TheTruth

Sep 19, 2006
    Yes - Ironic. I got my background check letter today the same day that my permit application was returned. I have the same story as others. I did the forms and had it notarized on 3/14. Didn't get a chance to get live scanned until 4/4 and mailed the package the next day. Return form letter posted above was dated 4/11/12 and received today on 4/12.

I am not a happy camper. I like how they say "wait for a ruling from the appellate court"... I wonder what happens if the stay is lifted and the MSP continue to give the middle finger to the federal courts until the appeal is heard. That would drag this on for a while. I hope that doesn't happen.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    “… If the Act were read as Mr. Snowden would have the court read it, there would be no necessity for a review by the Board. Each person could decide for himself or herself that he or she was in danger. The State Police would become a “rubber stamp” agency for the purpose of handing out handgun permits. The carefully considered legislation would be rendered absolutely meaningless insofar as the control of handguns is concerned.”

YES! That’s exactly what we want. For bonus points, lets terminate the services of the political donors on the “handgun review board”, fire its support staff and its attorneys, then close its offices and refund its budget to the taxpayers.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    They would not even process my application. I wanted to loose my money and they wouldn't take it. They will keep their good rating for approvals if they won't process the application. I feel that self defense is good and substantial so they should process the application.

Feel free to check the attachment. It pissed me off for sure.

When did you submit the application?

Edit: nevermind, I see from the attachment it was 4/4

Nov 13, 2011
    Bethesda, MD
    Ah, since the MSP went the electronic route for fingerprints, there is now an official record with CJIS.

Isn't technology wonderful?

They're supposed to 'expire' and be deleted. I don't trust it really happens but I've also never heard anyone be convicted for having background check prints on file

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    Hello everyone,

This is my first post but I have been lurking the boards for the past week when I was told of Judge Leggs decisions to strike down G&S. I have lived in MD for about 6 years now and prior to that I lived in Virginia and Pennsylvania, both of which I actively held a CCW for the states. I participated in last weeks round of sending emails and placing calls but I was too busy with a newborn and a two year old to get on here and post. I submitted my application on the 6th of April, same as the OP, and I also received the same letter with the complete packet in the mail today. The letter stated that I can either A) resubmit with a G&S reason or B) wait until the court case is fully decided. I am pissed over this. I am a Vet of the USAF and would like some guidance on how to proceed with this. Any advise is greatly appriciated. Thank you very much for providing me the resources as well as keeping me up to date on MD CCW news. This board is the first thing that came to mind when I opened the package. I am prepared to fight this, I just need some advice on how to go about conducting myself as well as provide ammo to support our cause. Thank you very much. I am very happy to be here, I just wish it was with the news that my CCW came today.

First: WELCOME!!!
    second: Thanks for your service
    Third: Move back to PA or VA you are much better off :lol2: No I am sure someone here will help with that.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    martinithebun said:
    They're supposed to 'expire' and be deleted. I don't trust it really happens but I've also never heard anyone be convicted for having background check prints on file

The prints maybe deleted but not your actual record that says you're a good boy or girl.

They have to balance the accounting some way because different sets a prints cost different prices...

Broadside

Mar 20, 2012
    Virginia

I'm confused. I thought that your prints are sent to the FBI to perform a criminal history check. Doesn't the FBI store the prints forever?

Nov 13, 2011
    Bethesda, MD
    My problem since day one has been to definition of what EXACTLY constitutes "good and substantial". Vague wording like that makes the decision completely subjective. Personally, I believe "for self-defense and all lawful purposes" constitutes G&S.

As a former NYer I know this all too well. In some cases its not really a matter of who you know but where you are. My county (cough Erie cough cough) rarely issued unrestricted CCW, head a few counties south and almost anyone gets one.

Nov 13, 2011
    Bethesda, MD
    I wonder how that will go, since they never really processed the app. I bet they say "we don't have one one file, you can't appeal". That would be great.

"These are not the droids you're looking for"

I wouldn't put it past MD. If you get that in writing to go with a quasi-denial letter you might even get the ACLU on our side.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    esqappellate,

I'm not following you on this. Can you please explain your rationale?

As part of the 4 part inquiry, the judge must consider the impact of any stay request on others. here the state has adopted a policy (form letter) of refusing to process any application on the basis of G&S, thereby making clear that the stay is going to cause a lot of folks to be denied even the right to have their applications processed or considered. This smacks of abuse of the temporary stay. It is a thin veneer indeed to say that because of the temporary stay, they must apply 5(ii) in this manner. The stay says nothing about allowing the state to refuse to process an application. The state would argue that such a refusal is not a denial and then would argue that no appeal rights would apply. It is Owellian, if accepted.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    The prints maybe deleted but not your actual record that says you're a good boy or girl.

They have to balance the accounting some way because different sets a prints cost different prices...

I sincerely doubt any fingerprints are ever deleted. Otherwise how would they populate thier database? Same with DNA.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Hello everyone,

This is my first post but I have been lurking the boards for the past week when I was told of Judge Leggs decisions to strike down G&S. I have lived in MD for about 6 years now and prior to that I lived in Virginia and Pennsylvania, both of which I actively held a CCW for the states. I participated in last weeks round of sending emails and placing calls but I was too busy with a newborn and a two year old to get on here and post. I submitted my application on the 6th of April, same as the OP, and I also received the same letter with the complete packet in the mail today. The letter stated that I can either A) resubmit with a G&S reason or B) wait until the court case is fully decided. I am pissed over this. I am a Vet of the USAF and would like some guidance on how to proceed with this. Any advise is greatly appriciated. Thank you very much for providing me the resources as well as keeping me up to date on MD CCW news. This board is the first thing that came to mind when I opened the package. I am prepared to fight this, I just need some advice on how to go about conducting myself as well as provide ammo to support our cause. Thank you very much. I am very happy to be here, I just wish it was with the news that my CCW came today.

Thank you for your service, welcome to our group, and thanks for your support of our CCW quest.

Your post here will be viewed by many, but I would also shoot an email to MSI, Marylandshallissue.org .

MH

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Well, now I know how MSP is going to handle the applications that have been submitted for handgun permits.

I just got my application returned in the mail with an form letter stating I did not have a "good and substantial reason" to be issued a permit to wear, carry, or transport a handgun.

If this works, here is a scan of the letter.

http://www.box.com/s/92306766413790660714

So, If I read this correctly, my application was received on 27 March, 2012.
    That's 3 days before the temp stay...maybe a chance yet!!:lol2:

Nov 13, 2011
    Bethesda, MD
    that. If i were Gura, i would highlight it in the stay papers. It makes clear in concrete terms that the state has adopted a policy that is contingent on the stay and using the stay to deny others. Part of the 4 part inquiry for a stay. Essentially the state is abusing the temporary stay.

For arguments sake, lets say the state is "bending" the stay. Would you say this is more or less egregious than things corporations or other governments have done while they appealed a ruling?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

The FBI is by law required to destroy the prints after the background check is complete. That's why the prints are only good for a short time and have to be redone if you reapply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom