• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RyanFMD

Jan 28, 2011
    Hey guys, its my first post and I would like to ask for some help in identifying a lee enfield that I recently picked up. It was in great shape and had matching numbers and seemed like a good deal, plus I had always wanted one. The dealer at the show said it was australian, but after doing some research, some of the information I'm finding suggests it is Australian, but some leads me to think its British. Again, its in great shape and has matching numbers, I'm just curious as to where it came from.

On the top there is a crown, and under it follows:
    -GR
    -B.
    -Sht. LE
    -III* (asterisk is 6 pointed star of david)

Sorry for the crappy cell pic. Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance guys.

Attachments

• enfield markings.jpg
      enfield markings.jpg
      75.3 KB · Views: 564

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    Ryan
    I can't help you but someone will be along shortly.
    Just wanted to say welcome and you will do good here posting a picture on your first post.:thumbsup:

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    That most likely is an Australian Enfield, commonly referred to as a "Lithgow". Australian forces never switched over to the No.4 so they used and manufactured the No.1's throughout the entire war. If you post more pics of the rifle we can tell you a lot more about it. A good way to tell for sure is to look at the markings on the rifle. If you see a lot of six pointed stars you can be assured that it is a Lithgow.

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    That's a British manufactured Enfield, BSA 1942. There could be some Australian ownership markings on the rifle but it's not Austrailian manufacture. Look for D↑D on the receiver or something like 2MD etc. Sometimes they were marked on the buttstock. Looks to be in good condition. If it's not Australian marked it's still a good rifle. If you post more pictures we could tell you more.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    It just so happens I do have a Lithgow. Here's the older Lithgow mark:

And here's some other receiver markings including the star:

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Looks too clean to be a Kyber Pass... or however it's spelled.

Over in the Lee Enfield section of gunboards they have a very interesting thread on a Khyber Pass No.1 MkIII. From a distance it looks nearly identical to a real one. it's pretty amazing what those people can do with a little bit of wood and scrap metal.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    It's a WWII vintage BSA "Dispersal" No1 MKIII*. The manuf. info was removed from the buttsocket in the hope of keeping the origin of production hidden from the Germans who were busily bombing any and all known sites of production (quite successfully to boot). The nomenclature "Dispersal" came from BSA taking production and dispersing it to many smaller facilities to make it difficult for the Luftwaffe to impact production with one big strike on a primary facility. The No4 really didn't come online and ramp up production until late '42 so the No1 soldiered on as the primary British rifle until then.
    Would love to see more photos! I've been keeping an eye out for a nice dispersal No1 for a long time so you've got something that's eluded me.

Last edited:

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    The dispersal rifles are an interesting variation. They were built with new and recycled parts. The Brits were under heavy pressure early in the war and used whatever they could. That and they never threw away anything. I think the latest dated dispersal rifle I've seen is 1944. They tend to be a little less well finished than the earlier MkIII's.
    What I read is that the Brits tried to arm their forces in Europe with the No4's and the Pacific forces with the MkIII.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Weren't there a lot of dispersal rifles though, and not just No.1's? I know my No.5 was made at 2 branches of BSA (M47A, M47C). Is this the same thing?

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Over in the Lee Enfield section of gunboards they have a very interesting thread on a Khyber Pass No.1 MkIII. From a distance it looks nearly identical to a real one. it's pretty amazing what those people can do with a little bit of wood and scrap metal.

Link to the Enfield section of Gunboards? Never cruised over there.
    Recently acquired an enfield with hardly any markings at all. Either filed off, or some other method. Plus a shortened stock with no upper portion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom