• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2flhun

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    Mont Co
    Here goes.

My wife came home from work today and asked if I could help out one of her co-workers.

His father in-law passed away and he left behind some firearms and he (son in-law) wants to sell them to help out his mother in-law with finances.

At present, the firearms are in NJ.

The mother in-law took them to L&H Woods & Water (in NJ) and asked what they would buy them for. Here is the list from that shop as best as I can make it out from the copy of the fax.

Ithaca 600 o/u imp/mod $500
    S&W #1500 7mm mag $275
    High Standard Vector .22 $599
    Remington 572 .22lr $170
    Ithaca 200E ?
    Mossberg 146 22lr ?
    JC Higgins 12ga pump ?
    Winchester 94 Illinois
    Walther PPKS $325
    Rossi 62 pump 22lr $125

The other shop offered to buy all of them for $1050

Can he bring them to MD and sell the regulated firearms via MSP or an FFL and FTF the others, or will he need to sell them via an FFL in NJ to another FFL?

Any help would be appreciated.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie

Can he bring them to MD and sell the regulated firearms via MSP or an FFL and FTF the others, or will he need to sell them via an FFL in NJ to another FFL?

Any help would be appreciated.

Residents of two different states cannot sell each other firearms that are not antiques without involving an FFL and this applies to long guns and handguns.

An FFL in MD can recieve firearms from non-licensees directly without having to go through an FFL in another state. However, not all FFLs want to do it that way and will still insist they use an FFL in NJ to send them.

2flhun

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    Mont Co
    thanks much. I'll pass the info on to him.

offhand, do you know if nj requires individual firearms to be registered or do you just have to have a card that says that you can own them? He is a MD resident, father lived in NJ

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    thanks much. I'll pass the info on to him.

offhand, do you know if nj requires individual firearms to be registered or do you just have to have a card that says that you can own them? He is a MD resident, father lived in NJ

From what I read from the NRA "state laws" page is that you need an FID card to own firearms in NJ and while handguns are not registered, the sales/transfers are recorded like they are in MD.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    standing by to receive

I changed it again. I noticed the guns were not left to him specifically. If they were left to him specifically, then that would be a whole new ballgame on how inderstate transfer works. But if they are the mother in laws, then it is just like any other transfer situation for him.

2flhun

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    Mont Co
    thanks again for the help, I let him know.

Then I will work the wife some to see if I can get the walther.

Karma is funny, I gave away some .380 ammo and now a .380 shows up.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    why is it that when a gun owner dies, they always sell off his guns? Well f@#k that! I'm getting buried with mine and I'm gonna have a claymore built into the coffin door. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom