• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Always on the hunt for French arms, I ran across a recent online auction of a Remington Mle 1907/15 Berthier rifle that got my attention. Most Remington Berthiers stayed in the US and are relatively easy to find. But around 9,000 were accepted into French service and these are extremely rare in the US. So when I see a battered Remington Berthier it gets my pulse up.
    -However, the deeper I delved into the listing and photos the more questions it raised. The big mystery was why there was a single SN on the receiver and a large "S" stamped into the stock beneath it. Remington did not apply SNs to their Berthiers, this was done by the French after the arm was inspected and accepted into inventory. They placed numerous SNs, with an E prefix, on the barrel, bolt, trigger guard, etc. Also had a cartouche placed on the buttstock. Not what I was looking at!
    -So it was never in French service. Perhaps it was exported to Spain for the SCW? I have a Remington M91 that served in Spain and it's documented that Wolf sent around 25,000 French rifles, assumed to be Mle 1907/15s, to Spain in 1937. But I've never seen one of these in the US and am not aware of any in a collection as well.
    -Then a light bulb goes off and I start a different type of search on Google. I remember Fox Studio marked Lebels that were used in movies over the years. Bingo! I find that the SN is an inventory number for a Hollywood prop house. The large "S" on the stock has to be the initial of the prop house. Will dig a little deeper to see if I can't find the exact name.

Attachments

• 20160115063329-7379.jpg
      20160115063329-7379.jpg
      62.3 KB · Views: 140

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Cool rifle. How'd you find the Prop House info? I have a Mle 1892 Revolver that is "Fox Studio" marked under the barrel. Maybe they were in the same movie at one time?

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Cool rifle. How'd you find the Prop House info? I have a Mle 1892 Revolver that is "Fox Studio" marked under the barrel. Maybe they were in the same movie at one time?

Your Mle 1892 was certainly in the inventory of Fox Studios, probably used at one time or another.
    If nothing else, the Berthier was certainly carried and dropped plenty of times by an actor/extra, looking at the battered condition of the stock! Heck, I've seen my share of Lebels and Berthiers and don't think I have a single one in my collection that's been hammered that hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom