• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    I received my letter today, was "not disapproved" 6 weeks ago. Mailed my app in March.

Funbrit

May 28, 2008
    Rockville
    Seems like some things never change. This is the email I sent to Cpl Cusimano today; MSP is not following their own laws. Their troopers may be fine people but does that excuse the disregard for the law on a institutional basis?

Cpl. Cusimano;

I mailed my Maryland Regulated Firearm Collector Application and Affidavit to the MSP at the end of April. As of today I have not received any information regarding it's status. I understand there may be workload and manpower issues with the MSP, but according to Comar 29.03.01.04 the response time is set by law as follows;

H. An individual who desires to be designated as a collector shall have the application notarized and submit the application by first class mail to the Secretary requesting this designation.
    I. If the individual is not prohibited by federal or State law from purchasing or possessing a regulated firearm, the notarized application shall be sufficient for a designation as a collector.
    J. If the individual is designated by the Secretary to be a collector, the Secretary shall notify the individual in writing within 14 days of receiving the individual's request.

I'm concerned regarding the transportation of my collection within Maryland without a Designated Collector's Status.

Please advise.

I received mine today and I sent my at the end of March, expect yours will come in one month. lets hope you quoting Comar expedites yours and not delay it even further.

MPDickerson101

MPDickerson101
    Jan 30, 2012
    Gotham City (Baltimore)
    Mine came in within the last few days (I was out of town). It was mailed on 03/02/12... so over three months to receive. BTW - It reads "approved."
    Just waiting on my C&R now (mailed 05/04/12).

Last edited:

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Lord only knows when I will get the letter. Was just told, again, by the Corporal, that my May application won't even be reviewed at until late June at the earliest.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Got an email from Cpl. Cusimano today stating that I was not disapproved and may begin to purchase as a collector, the letter will be sent as soon as time allows. (Mine was sent the first week in April.)

Despite the whole 14 day thing, I have no issues with MSP regarding MDC status. I literally sent the email last night and received a response from Cpl. Cusimano by 0815 this morning. I know they're busy and I appreciate that he got back to me when he could have put me on intergalactic hold/delay.

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    Got an email from Cpl. Cusimano today stating that I was not disapproved and may begin to purchase as a collector, the letter will be sent as soon as time allows. (Mine was sent the first week in April.)

Despite the whole 14 day thing, I have no issues with MSP regarding MDC status. I literally sent the email last night and received a response from Cpl. Cusimano by 0815 this morning. I know they're busy and I appreciate that he got back to me when he could have put me on intergalactic hold/delay.

Yup Cpl. Cusimano is in a position where is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't. He was very responsive and helpful when I was waiting for my collector's approval. I'm not going to blame the guy for the length of time it takes for approvals, he has people he has to answer to. I'm sure he's not sitting over at the licensing division with his feet propped up on his desk, playing Angry Birds while the applications pile up.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Seems like some things never change. This is the email I sent to Cpl Cusimano today; MSP is not following their own laws. Their troopers may be fine people but does that excuse the disregard for the law on a institutional basis?

Cpl. Cusimano;

I mailed my Maryland Regulated Firearm Collector Application and Affidavit to the MSP at the end of April. As of today I have not received any information regarding it's status. I understand there may be workload and manpower issues with the MSP, but according to Comar 29.03.01.04 the response time is set by law as follows;

H. An individual who desires to be designated as a collector shall have the application notarized and submit the application by first class mail to the Secretary requesting this designation.
    I. If the individual is not prohibited by federal or State law from purchasing or possessing a regulated firearm, the notarized application shall be sufficient for a designation as a collector.
    J. If the individual is designated by the Secretary to be a collector, the Secretary shall notify the individual in writing within 14 days of receiving the individual's request.

I'm concerned regarding the transportation of my collection within Maryland without a Designated Collector's Status.

Please advise.

Got quick reply via email from Cpl Cusimano tbat I was " not disapproved", but one sentence perplexed me a little. I can understand that letters & emails are impersonal and may come across a bit stiff or hard which was not my intention, but his one line, "This is a free service and does not hold the same priority as a firearm purchase process which is mandated by law."

The MDC status is outlined in COMAR. Doesn't that make it law? Not arguing priorities here, just law. If the law says a response is required within a time period then it is required. Or is the MSD status a "service"?

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.

Cpl. Cusimano;

Please advise.

I am wondering what having a MDC status has to do with transporting your colection? Are there any specific rules or regulations regarding the transport of, or quantity of, firearms that can be transported at one time? Other than the normal rules.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I am wondering what having a MDC status has to do with transporting your colection? Are there any specific rules or regulations regarding the transport of, or quantity of, firearms that can be transported at one time? Other than the normal rules.

Yes!!!! Normally you can transport directly to/from the range etc. A DC can transport for private display pretty much antwhere legal.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    COMAR are regulations, not laws. Regs are adminisstrative in nature and govern MD govt. agencies. Laws can be criminal or civil.

Big difference.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Got quick reply via email from Cpl Cusimano tbat I was " not disapproved", but one sentence perplexed me a little. I can understand that letters & emails are impersonal and may come across a bit stiff or hard which was not my intention, but his one line, "This is a free service and does not hold the same priority as a firearm purchase process which is mandated by law."

The MDC status is outlined in COMAR. Doesn't that make it law? Not arguing priorities here, just law. If the law says a response is required within a time period then it is required. Or is the MSD status a "service"?

I think the good Corporal is a little tired of folks contacting him asking about their letters. He's also indicating the Department's priorities.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    But my question remains unanswered; is it a free service? If it's a service, I can live with that. Just a service to be provided at their leisure. However, if there's regulations to follow then follow them. Sorry if everyone's busy, but I can't give my patient's excuses for poor service nor can I give most police an excuse when I break rules and expect not to be held accountable. That's all I'm saying. Everybody should be playing by the same rules and held to the same standards. It just doesn't seem like the MCD is a SERVICE; not when it gives us the ability to do certain things that other cannot; in order to do those things we follow the rules set up by MSP to request the MCD status. They in turn should follow the rules in responding to said request. Common courtesy, common respect. If they can't, then change the regs, change the rules, whatever, but don't make excuses and call it a 'free service'.

matt_yamaha_guy_450

Jun 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Hi everyone!!

First off I am new on this site so I hope I am posting this in the right place!! After doing some research online about becoming a collector I came across this site and the Curio and Relic license. I didn't know either existed until now. I read through many topics on the steps to get your C&R license and everyone was a big help, however I would like to clarify just a few things.. I am sure the answers are in the forums somewhere but it will take forever to find them all so here it goes....

-Can i have my regulated firearms collector permit along with c&r?
    -Once i buy some of the c&r firearms and get them delivered to my door I then need to keep track a book with all of the important info of the guns i buy?
    -Can I buy more then 1 c&r weapon at a time for myself?
    -pretty sure that I can buy c&r weapons out of state but not modern day pistols with the c&r license?
    -What is the best way to get a concealed carry permit for pa do i have to request the information like md or do i have to go to a police station in pa to get the paper work

Thanks in advance for the help!!!! after reading all of the different licenses that are available I am trying to get them all while im young and just starting to build up my collection!

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Hi everyone!!

First off I am new on this site so I hope I am posting this in the right place!! After doing some research online about becoming a collector I came across this site and the Curio and Relic license. I didn't know either existed until now. I read through many topics on the steps to get your C&R license and everyone was a big help, however I would like to clarify just a few things.. I am sure the answers are in the forums somewhere but it will take forever to find them all so here it goes....

-Can i have my regulated firearms collector permit along with c&r?
    -Once i buy some of the c&r firearms and get them delivered to my door I then need to keep track a book with all of the important info of the guns i buy?
    -Can I buy more then 1 c&r weapon at a time for myself?
    -pretty sure that I can buy c&r weapons out of state but not modern day pistols with the c&r license?
    -What is the best way to get a concealed carry permit for pa do i have to request the information like md or do i have to go to a police station in pa to get the paper work

Thanks in advance for the help!!!! after reading all of the different licenses that are available I am trying to get them all while im young and just starting to build up my collection!

I'll answer best I can..
    -Can i have my regulated firearms collector permit along with c&r? YES

-Once i buy some of the c&r firearms and get them delivered to my door I then need to keep track a book with all of the important info of the guns i buy? YES (and very important to do)

-Can I buy more then 1 c&r weapon at a time for myself? YES

-pretty sure that I can buy c&r weapons out of state but not modern day pistols with the c&r license? YES, that is correct.

-What is the best way to get a concealed carry permit for pa do i have to request the information like md or do i have to go to a police station in pa to get the paper work. I'll defer that to someone else (probably need to hit up one of the other forums here)... I haven't held one from PA in some time myself.

StillServing

I know NOTHING !
    Feb 1, 2011
    Calvert County
    I mailed my MD Des Collector app via USPS on May 31st, and just got a response from the good Cpl stating that i was "not disapproved". Just a little over a month, quite surprised!!

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Docster said:
    But my question remains unanswered; is it a free service? If it's a service, I can live with that. Just a service to be provided at their leisure. However, if there's regulations to follow then follow them. Sorry if everyone's busy, but I can't give my patient's excuses for poor service nor can I give most police an excuse when I break rules and expect not to be held accountable. That's all I'm saying. Everybody should be playing by the same rules and held to the same standards. It just doesn't seem like the MCD is a SERVICE; not when it gives us the ability to do certain things that other cannot; in order to do those things we follow the rules set up by MSP to request the MCD status. They in turn should follow the rules in responding to said request. Common courtesy, common respect. If they can't, then change the regs, change the rules, whatever, but don't make excuses and call it a 'free service'.

It is not a free service, the designated collector is mandated by law. The COMAR is written departmentally to support the law.

Pm Patrick to let MSI know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom