• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Well, not really....they are just on the really weak end of the magnum spectrum. I went with the minimum charge in the Lee book and I could barely tell the difference between the Special and the Magnum.

Just to be sure, I loaded half and half into the revolver. While I could tell a difference, it was slight.

My accuracy with the .44 is nowhere near as precise as my accuracy with the 1911. I can work miracles with the 1911 and I can...well, make holes with the .44.

I shot better with .44 factory loads than I did with my reloads, so I know it's the ammo and not the gun.

I'm not frustrated at all. The joy of reloading for me is the quest for the perfect load. Back to the drawing board with a smile on my face.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I use maximum loads. I love the flash from my magnaported Dan Wesson. Keeps the muzzle down.:)
    My loads developed for silhouette shooting back in the day when it was very popular in CA.
    200 gr JHP with 28 gr of 296
    220 gr JFP with 26 gr of 296
    240 gr JHP with 24 gr of 296

With 296 and 2400 you must use a magnum primer to insure proper ignition. These are hot loads and I settled on the 200 gr because it retains its energy for knocking over Rams over the 240 and has better ballistics. The Dan Wesson I own is a large robust .44 and takes these loads in stride. I would work them up in any other .44.

Last edited:

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Depending on what you are shooting, google the Elmer Keith loads. Its been a long time since I have reloaded, but I remember them being "fun"
    Have you tried 44 special loads?

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Definitely on my shopping list. I didn't get a .44 Magnum to shoot .38 Special-like loads. I want to be reminded that I am shooting a .44.

get a book with some of keiths loads and work up to them, or what you can shoot well and stand the beating from.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Depending on what you are shooting, google the Elmer Keith loads. Its been a long time since I have reloaded, but I remember them being "fun"
    Have you tried 44 special loads?

My first loads were a light special. I found special brass at Cabelas and began with that. The Magnums were an experiment with leftover MAGNUM brass.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    2400, W296, or H110 are slower burning and will allow the magnum pressure to develop. I do a light load with 7.0 gr of Unique so the ladies can feel tough shooting a "magnum."

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    2400, W296, or H110 are slower burning and will allow the magnum pressure to develop. I do a light load with 7.0 gr of Unique so the ladies can feel tough shooting a "magnum."

Excellent.

I have to say, the accuracy isn't bad, per se. The recoil is VERY light. I want the feel I get out of factory .44 magnum loads. What's the point, otherwise?

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Yeah. I have been working with Bullseye because it's all I have. Works great for .45ACP, but not so great for .44.

Right you are on both counts. You have a very soft shooting load that you can shoot in your 44 mag. Bullseye and that bullet combo isn't going to give you the magnum feel or the down range punch you're looking for. Not at the top end of the load data either. You're in the 800 to 900 fps range with that combo. You're getting what Bullseye can safely deliver given a 240 grain lead bullet and Bullseye's quick pressure curve.

Yeah, be on the lookout for Alliant 2400. Tough to find right now. W296 and H110 are other options, but they have both their fans and their detractors. They're quirky in that they're not very tolerant to load variation. HS6 and even Unique would be options also. But your bullet becomes the other half of the equation. You don't want to drive Plated bullets to top end 44 mag hot.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I load Blue Dot in 44 Mag.

240 gr Speer JHP
    12.5 gr would not cycle my Desert Eagle
    14.0 gr seemed to be a good load. Primers looked good, nice radius on the edge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom