Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    scope and mount old school or modern. What optic do you suggest and why

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Oh, and why? I think a x54r Vepr would look silly with an Aimpoint sitting on a picatinny mount. Unless of course you are going for the tacticool look. I wanted to keep mine as close to an SVD as possible.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    scope and mount old school or modern. What optic do you suggest and why

For what purpose?

Old-school AK side mount scopes are pretty solid, and repeat zero well if removed. But heavy, and meant for accurate slow shooting. They typically come with reticles that are calibrated to adjust for bullet drop at varying distances, so the reticle should match the caliber to be of any real use. This is the only kind I've ever owned and Kalinka is pretty much the go-to place for them.

Modern reflex/red dots are a whole 'nother ball of wax. I love the idea of a gas tube mount, but frankly that's a less-than ideal place to put an optic because of heat. The TWS dogleg rail is a great way to mount a little further back, and allows for co-witness with some optics and a combination of a rear peep. Best of both worlds.

Tstras

Not a Junior Member
    Jan 16, 2010
    Harford Co.
    I used a Vortex Viper HS-T and Arsenal SM-13 mount on mine. Haven't had a chance to shot it yet with the scope. Perhaps this weekend. IMG_1684.jpg

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Which vepr?

For x54r, the Primary Arms 1-6x with ACSS's BDC lines up nicely with x54R (and 7n6 if its a 5.45 vepr).

The almost out 4-14x ACSS PA scope will also work well with x54r.

Either of these scopes will make 300yd shots easy.

-Jim

Sirex