• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Ok so I thought I was decided on the YHM 5005 rifle length 12.5" for the 18" SPR build but now I don't know if I want to go 15". Anybody have a reason for one over the other? Only thing I would ever put on it would be a bipod and I was even thinking to maybe just go with a free float tube with a small rail section up front. Thanks. This is the last piece of the puzzle over a year in the making :D

Up next, finish that stupid 300 BLK build from eons ago. :innocent0

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    If you're putting irons on it, longer rail = longer sight radius. Not a bad thing.

Longer rail will also cover/protect the gas block.

The Nordic Components extended is a beaut....and inexpensive. Have one on a pdog rig. Great tube.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    If you're putting irons on it, longer rail = longer sight radius. Not a bad thing.

Longer rail will also cover/protect the gas block.

The Nordic Components extended is a beaut....and inexpensive. Have one on a pdog rig. Great tube.

Putting glass on it so I figured the only thing would be how far out the bipod sits. I do like the look of that nordic components XL though.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    I'm certainly a fan. Future non-tacticool builds (20 practical/204 ruger?) will definitely utilize it.

14691615061_a732a5da5b_b.jpg

14372351581_fd9cd9a0cf_b.jpg

That's a 20" barrel.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Good deal.

It's frankly the best handguard I've seen under 100 bucks. And it beats out a lot of others that sell for well north of that.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I went 14" on my SPR with 18" Wilson Combat barrel...

Having the swivel bipod closer to the muzzle translates into more refined muzzle control.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    When I did my 6.8mm 20" I just put the Samson Evo 15" free float handguard that was previously on my Stag 3GH when I put a CF one on that. And yes I put a short rail on the bottom close to the end for the bipod.
    I like the Samson Evos but right now I also like the new modular ALG Defense ones because they are lighter than the Samsons (and cheaper).

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    I made a similar buy on my 18" Noveskee SPR barreled rifle. Only thing I added was a rail for a bipod, YHM free floating tube on black Friday. You will be happy with your purchase.

Keep it simple stupid mentality helps out the wallet so you can spend more on range time and ammo.

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    Don't think I've ever had an appropriate sized rail on a firearm and gone "gee I wish I'd gotten a shorter one". Go 15" for sure.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I got the rail from JoeBob's yesterday via USPS and only had a chance to finger it for a minute before I had to leave but I'm impressed with it for $100. Think it'll go well on the rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom