• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmocarsky

Apr 20, 2011
    If a person is on social security disability and wants to work part time, does anyone know how much money they are able to earn without impacting the SSI income?

Rmocarsky

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    are they attempting to determine if they can return to the workforce? there are special exemptions for that, depending if they are self employed or working for someone else

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    If you are ABLE to make MORE make MORE....it's a sad country when the work ethic is "let me work up and until I lose my government assistance".

There used to be shame in having someone else pay your bills...now people want to earn less then they likely could on their own just to keep sucking the teet.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    If you are ABLE to make MORE make MORE....it's a sad country when the work ethic is "let me work up and until I lose my government assistance".

There used to be shame in having someone else pay your bills...now people want to earn less then they likely could on their own just to keep sucking the teet.

You have stated my sentiments far nicer than I would......... +1

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia

The Onion said:
    If you are ABLE to move OVER move OVER....it's a sad country when the driving habit is "let me speed up to within 11 MPH of the speed limit and plant myself in the left lane, then refuse to move."

There used to be shame in holding someone up...now people want to go slower than they likely would on their own just to keep others from speeding.

:D

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

So, if I have to medically retire this year, a condition of my federal disability retirement requires me to apply for social security disability first. In conjunction with my federal retirement. So, what you are saying here is that I should just tell them no for whatever amount they approve me for?
    Just take my disability amount from the agency?

Seems nobody actually knows what they are talking about here.
    You people pay into social security, so you should refuse what you can get, right?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    So, if I have to medically retire this year, a condition of my federal disability retirement requires me to apply for social security disability first. In conjunction with my federal retirement. So, what you are saying here is that I should just tell them no for whatever amount they approve me for?
    Just take my disability amount from the agency?

Seems nobody actually knows what they are talking about here.
    You people pay into social security, so you should refuse what you can get, right?

Folks are regularly taking much more out of the SSI fund then what they paid into it over the years...even with the standard Fed. interest rate. That along with .gov raiding the fund is what has killed it.

I have a problem with someone who is likely capable of working wanting to limit themselves to keep sucking the government teet.

IMHO SS should be ended period. Pick a cut off age...if you are 26 now sucks but it's gone. Of course that doesn't resolve the next 2-3 generations who still have to pay it off but they'll be doing it at a reduced rate with the understanding it's no longer a "retirement" option.

If your situation allows for you to get a medical pension payment along with SSI because you can no longer work okay. But if you were to post saying you could work but want to know how much you have to limit your money making ability to keep sucking on government teet I have an issue with this.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    It is not easy to be approved for SSI disability, and I can understand the fear of losing it once you get it.

also in this program, you can qualify for a trial period, where you can make more than the amount and still get your full benefit, to have a 7 month time period to see if you are capable of work, if you are capable, you would still be eligible for 5 years to go back on disability without re applying as long as your disability is what made you stop working.

long story short, if the person is trying to see if they can get back to working, there is a LONG period where you are still eligible for disability, if you can no longer work due to your disability

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    Folks are regularly taking much more out of the SSI fund then what they paid into it over the years...even with the standard Fed. interest rate. That along with .gov raiding the fund is what has killed it.

I have a problem with someone who is likely capable of working wanting to limit themselves to keep sucking the government teet.

IMHO SS should be ended period. Pick a cut off age...if you are 26 now sucks but it's gone. Of course that doesn't resolve the next 2-3 generations who still have to pay it off but they'll be doing it at a reduced rate with the understanding it's no longer a "retirement" option.

If your situation allows for you to get a medical pension payment along with SSI because you can no longer work okay. But if you were to post saying you could work but want to know how much you have to limit your money making ability to keep sucking on government teet I have an issue with this.

+1 :mad54:

The disability insurance portion of social security did not come into law until 20 years after the social security program.....just another way to buy votes....I know people on SSI that bowl multiple times a week plus play golf....how f'in disabled is that??

The disability insurance portion needs to be shut down... the retirement portion can stay...just keep it in line with how it was originally intended...raise the retirement age to reflect today's longer life expectancy....

Questioning how much you can earn before you lose your taxpayer dollars is a total crock....go get your sorry ass a real job!!!!!

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    +1 :mad54:
    I know people on SSI that bowl multiple times a week plus play golf....how f'in disabled is that??

And did you report those people? If not, you should. SSA has a entire division for fraud and abuse.

Questioning how much you can earn before you lose your taxpayer dollars is a total crock....go get your sorry ass a real job!!!!!

Amen to that!!!!

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I'll never get approved, but they require to apply in the event any portion could offset the disability pay.
    The requirements are pretty stringent.
    I tell ya, you never think about something like this until you get injured add see that it may be a possibility. It's not something proud, that's for sure.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    I'll never get approved, but they require to apply in the event any portion could offset the disability pay.
    The requirements are pretty stringent.
    I tell ya, you never think about something like this until you get injured add see that it may be a possibility. It's not something proud, that's for sure.

That is why many of us have purchased short term and/or long term disability insurance policies...ON OUR OWN DIME...to cover our butts in the event of becoming disabled.....I simply don't believe that government should be in the insurance business......

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central

This isn't directed at you but whose fault is that? If it your neighbors fault that you didn't pay for disability insurance? Is it my kids kids fault that someone didn't think they could be hurt and not be able to work.

I get 300 a month is rather expensive for something you might never use but it's certainly no ones responsibility but yours to worry about.

I think our nations spending habits are what will cause our complete destruction. At best we'll have 5-6 generations paying for these social programs 1-2 generations AFTER they are stopped.

I don't expect everyone to follow my views on the issue or be so against the programs as I am. That's fine but I truly wish folks would look at how much damage it is doing to our country. Not to undermine 9-11 but our countries economy poses a MUCH greater threat to Americans than a planes being crashed into buildings.

I'm not on a pedestal because we would be in a tough spot if either my wife or I couldn't work but I certainly wouldn't be on here asking how much can I make before .gov takes my pay checks from me.

If Americans took care of what they actually needed to most folks wouldn't be in 300-450k dollars houses and have 2-4 kids with one or two 35-40k dollar cars.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Realize that typical offset for earned income is $1 of SSI lost for every $2 over the limit.

So if limit is $1090 per month, you would have to make $3270 per month to lose all your SSI income.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I dunno, I pay on average $516 a month ($208 bi weekly) to social security oasdi. Yeah, I'll drop more money into other disability.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    This isn't directed at you but whose fault is that? If it your neighbors fault that you didn't pay for disability insurance? Is it my kids kids fault that someone didn't think they could be hurt and not be able to work.

I get 300 a month is rather expensive for something you might never use but it's certainly no ones responsibility but yours to worry about.

I think our nations spending habits are what will cause our complete destruction. At best we'll have 5-6 generations paying for these social programs 1-2 generations AFTER they are stopped.

I don't expect everyone to follow my views on the issue or be so against the programs as I am. That's fine but I truly wish folks would look at how much damage it is doing to our country. Not to undermine 9-11 but our countries economy poses a MUCH greater threat to Americans than a planes being crashed into buildings.

I'm not on a pedestal because we would be in a tough spot if either my wife or I couldn't work but I certainly wouldn't be on here asking how much can I make before .gov takes my pay checks from me.

If Americans took care of what they actually needed to most folks wouldn't be in 300-450k dollars houses and have 2-4 kids with one or two 35-40k dollar cars.

I have news for you, Insurance companies are a big part of the problem. I worked for a government agency, and after 20 years was injured to the point I was not allowed to return to my job. I carried supplemental disability through Hartford Ins., offered by my employer. In addition, the employer is also required to carry workers comp insurance. Hartford didn't pay one dime, they made me jump through hoops for months and then said the liability was on the Workers Comp Insurance company. The Workers Comp Insurance Co., Corvel decided after a hip and a knee I wasn't going to get any better, so they started denying medical care, now I pay 300 a Month for BCBS but they won't pay for anything related to my workplace Injury. For the last 3 years they have been pushing me to apply for SSI as well, they do this to push off their liability. That is what they are doing in Blaster's case. If I get SSI I would only receive a few hundred dollars a month (it is offset by pension)
    but medicare kicks in and presto, Corvel Insurance is off the hook for future Meds. So you go on believing people are irresponsible and that Insurance will cover you, but you better hope you never get hurt seriously or you will learn there is no such thing as "Insurance"

Parshooter

Silent Majority Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    East NC
    Not to start anything, because I don't like the idea of someone taking disability if they are able to work, but I vaguely remember a company disability plan that I was going to sign up for. I no longer work there, but to my knowledge, it did say that part of qualifying was that you had to go through SSI first. Obviously there are varying degrees of disability, and I would want someone to be able to be as productive as possible if say, they had a bad accident, etc.
    That being said, I would never come on this board and ask that question. Kinda makes you wonder...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom