• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    This is slightly off topic, but I don't know where else to turn. Two years ago the Student Government Association (SGA) of St. Mary's College of Maryland passed a resolution in support of Meatless Mondays at the indirect suggestion of the current president of the college (who was later fired for reasons unrelated). What this entailed was the only dining hall on campus no longer serving any meat options on Mondays. At the time, we had two other places to eat - Quizno's (at 3 times the cost) and a made-to-order grill line (also at 3 times the cost). After a one-semester trial period, it went up to a campus-wide vote where it was voted down by a 10% margin. After that semester, Quizno's and the grill closed, leaving us with just the dining hall.

Tonight, at the weekly SGA meeting, a small group of students brought up that they would be submitting another bill to the SGA to implement Meatless Mondays again. This time, they will leave it to a petition that only 500 people would need to sign (for a campus of 1500 students) to permanently implement Meatless Mondays.

If you know anyone at the college, please spread the word and help us maintain our right to choose what we eat (courtesy of the 10th amendment).

A petition will be soon to follow on this post. Thank you.
    Update: Wednesdays will be meatless at the college now.

Last edited:

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    What, you don't like tofu-burgers ?

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.

Tell them that you belong to the church of John Moses Browning and that one of your religions tenets is that you must eat tasty animals. So if they deprive you of meat containing food, it is religious discrimination. Traditional headgear of this religion is the NRA baseball cap.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    What, you don't like tofu-burgers ?

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.

nope, venison, beef, chicken, turkey. Sure, Tofu; cant stand it. besides, the only dining hall on campus doesn't serve tofu burgers.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Submit another bill yourself. Call it the food choices fairness act. It would require the dinning hall carry meals catering to all students dietary preferences every day of the week, at every meal.

Also if the first thing does pass and you're stuck bringing your lunch on Mondays, I would suggest you eat a diet of processed meats straight from the package in dramatic fashion. Spam, vienna sausages, bologna, etc...

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    My wife teaches at your school, and I meet her there for lunch once in a while. Your cafeteria is better than 99% of the colleges in this country. Can't you just do pasta and a salad one day a week?

This is what happens in college. People try social activism to see what they can accomplish. Dont like it, campaign against it.

Crow Bait

Feb 9, 2013
    Hollywood, MD
    Take a stand.

Be polite.

Act Professionally.

Start a counter petition.

Utilize social media.

Make sure your supporters know that you are not against vegetarianism... you just want freedom of choice.

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    Dear Dean ________,

I am concerned that meatless Monday may have been a significant contributor to my iron and protein deficiencies diagnosed last semester. Before i am forced to take the litigious route, i wanted to suggest that meat options are always available in our dining halls. I believe the campus would be a better place if i was allowed to introduce as much meat as possible to these skinny vegetarians running around campus forcing me to eat sprouts and seeds like a fuggin bird.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    My wife teaches at your school, and I meet her there for lunch once in a while. Your cafeteria is better than 99% of the colleges in this country. Can't you just do pasta and a salad one day a week?

This is what happens in college. People try social activism to see what they can accomplish. Dont like it, campaign against it.
    'If you have nothing to hide, can't we just search your car/home/.......'

'If meatless Monday saves just ONE life .....'

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    'If you have nothing to hide, can't we just search your car/home/.......'

'If meatless Monday saves just ONE life .....'

I was just trying to point out that the sh$t I had to eat in college barely qualified as meat, and this person has it good. This dining hall actually serves fresh and tasty food. I bet they still put out some protein sources on Mondays. It's not fish and egg-less Monday, is it? Or post a counter protest and get your meat back. Bitching to the internet never solved anything.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    I was just trying to point out that the sh$t I had to eat in college barely qualified as meat, and this person has it good. This dining hall actually serves fresh and tasty food. I bet they still put out some protein sources on Mondays. It's not fish and egg-less Monday, is it? Or post a counter protest and get your meat back. Bitching to the internet never solved anything.
    Point taken. I didn't mean to come across as combative.

At the U of Md another lifetime ago, they had a Roy Rogers in the Student Union and it was common practice to get a small holster of fries, and then load up a 'salad' at the fixins' bar.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    I am not trying to complain on the internet, I am trying to let people know whats going on/get some support against it. I already am working on a counter petition against it. As for as other options, yes there are other places to eat; however we must pay in advance at the beginning of the semester, and drastically changing the menu after I already paid is dishonest. I don't want to pay $11 a meal for salad.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Get a note from your doctor saying you have a B-12 deficiency and have to eat meat.

Tell the Dean if they refuse to serve foods vital to maintaining your health you'll file an ADA complaint.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Rab1515, if I were in your situation and they went to meatless Monday, I would get a small grill and fire it up for me and my friends every Monday.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    +1....back in my day the students were too busy protesting the Vietnam war....I guess we have progressed quite it bit if their biggest gripe is having to eat salad on Monday..... :sad20:

Will you say the same when they come for your 32 oz soda? Control and nanny state mess. Because the people that vote these guys in, really are that stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom