• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Yes. MD ban list overrides where applicable. NFA also applies, as usual.

I think he's asking if a gun with a date code of December 1965 or serial number that was made anytime during 1965 qualifies even if its the very last number on the 1965 list

mdram

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2011
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    is there any document that confirms this?
    i inquired about a 1965 vintage and got this

Since we can not verify when in 1965 it was manufactured, just to be safe, we are going to wait until 2016 before we can send it to a C&R holder.

mdram

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2011
    Eastern Shore of Maryland

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    but was wondering where/if this could be confirmed, maybe via an atf ruling

Stop bashing your head against the wall because you can. ;) Year of manufacture has always been the rule. It's virtually impossible to know month of manufacture on most vintage firearms. Determining the year on some of them is bad enough, especially ones without serial numbers. Even manufacturers still in business probably don't know the month for their old C&R-eligible stuff.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Stop bashing your head against the wall because you can. ;) Year of manufacture has always been the rule. It's virtually impossible to know month of manufacture on most vintage firearms. Determining the year on some of them is bad enough, especially ones without serial numbers. Even manufacturers still in business probably don't know the month for their old C&R-eligible stuff.

Unless the barrel or receiver has a DATE CODE on it ... many pre-serial number guns were date coded with the year and month

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA

Untrue. I was able to acquire a 1964 vintage Ruger Blackhawk via C&R because I took the time to call Ruger and confirm that it was produced 50years and 1 month prior.

Can't speak to other manufacturers, but the rep that answered the phone at Ruger was able to provide a month but not a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Untrue. I was able to acquire a 1964 vintage Ruger Blackhawk via C&R because I took the time to call Ruger and confirm that it was produced 50years and 1 month prior.

Can't speak to other manufacturers, but the rep that answered the phone at Ruger was able to provide a month but not a day.

Manufactured or first shipped? Not the same thing. I'll bet Ruger meant original ship date, same as old Colt records. Yet ATF C&R rules specify "manufactured" if I'm not mistaken. See the problem? What if a gun was manufactured in a different year than it first shipped? Perhaps a year or more apart in isolated cases I'm aware of. ATF C&R rules do not specifically address it, because they know they cannot. Instead, ATF looks to known manufacturer records about what serial number ranges apply to which year (month is irrelevant), even though exactly what those serial number ranges mean can be vague (manufactured versus first shipped conundrum). In short, just go with ATF's flow.

Manufactured or first shipped? Not the same thing. I'll bet Ruger meant original ship date, same as old Colt records. Yet ATF C&R rules specify "manufactured" if I'm not mistaken. See the problem? What if a gun was manufactured in a different year than it first shipped? Perhaps a year or more apart in isolated cases I'm aware of. ATF C&R rules do not specifically address it, because they know they cannot. Instead, ATF looks to known manufacturer records about what serial number ranges apply to which year (month is irrelevant), even though exactly what those serial number ranges mean can be vague (manufactured versus first shipped conundrum). In short, just go with ATF's flow.

:thumbsup:
    Like my 1980 Mustang built in 79' is still a 1980 model or the 90' F250 I ordered in Aug. and arrived in Oct. of 89',nowadays you can get next years model before the end of the year.I know it's apples to onions,but it is what it is.

ofofhy

Jan 27, 2013
    Balto City
    is there any document that confirms this?
    i inquired about a 1965 vintage and got this

Since we can not verify when in 1965 it was manufactured, just to be safe, we are going to wait until 2016 before we can send it to a C&R holder.

I have run into this in a couple of cases while looking for a particular shotgun. I just move on to a different seller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom