• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expendables

Sep 8, 2010
    Parkville, MD
    Hey Guys!

A good friend of mine is a State Trooper and just purchased an M&P Shield for his off duty carry. The gun came stock with a 6.5 pound trigger pull; however his agency requires an 8 pound trigger pull. Are there any industry partners in the Baltimore/Bel-Air area that can help him out with this?

Please and Thanks!

Expendables

Sep 8, 2010
    Parkville, MD
    Yes if he wants to properly follow the rules and qualify with it on the range. Obviously the law states otherwise, but he's just trying to do it the right way

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Interesting. Never heard of trying to increase trigger pull weight. Also haven't heard of any striker pistols with a trigger pull that heavy out of the box.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    umm, okay, so i know how this could work legally. get a trigger job to make yer gun a killing machine by lightening the pull, but how in the hell does it work in the court if you make it the other way around :smoke: :tap: stupefied!

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    There's certainly precedent for it. Anyone ever heard of a NY trigger on a GLock? The dept retrofitted all of their Glocks when they first switched to them because of the # of NDs. IIRC 11lbs.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    That is one silly department policy for an off duty. Maybe is time to switch agency :)

Agencies have to approve what their officers carry for off duty. They would be acting under the color of law when carrying that pistol with their creds. It is a vicarious liability issue, thus they try to keep standards unified across the board. It makes TOTAL sense.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Their trigger pull requirements never did make much sense to me. The handgun must have a 8 pound pull but no requirement for their shotgun or rifle. Procedure is no finger in the guard until you're ready to fire so what difference does the pull weight matter.

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    Agencies have to approve what their officers carry for off duty. They would be acting under the color of law when carrying that pistol with their creds. It is a vicarious liability issue, thus they try to keep standards unified across the board. It makes TOTAL sense.

While they have their points of certain restrictions, but that just my personal opinion. If an officer is certified with an off duty, by the book, that officer can use his or her off duty when it's necessary. I also heard that they require to carry an extra mag if the one loaded is less than a certain rounds.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    While they have their points of certain restrictions, but that just my personal opinion. If an officer is certified with an off duty, by the book, that officer can use his or her off duty when it's necessary. I also heard that they require to carry an extra mag if the one loaded is less than a certain rounds.

Well, that would be more of a procedural issue with the extra mags. Liability doesn't get broken down to the ridiculous like that. But trying to achieve shooting and reaction consistency among the cops is what may take a life.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk 2

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Their trigger pull requirements never did make much sense to me. The handgun must have a 8 pound pull but no requirement for their shotgun or rifle. Procedure is no finger in the guard until you're ready to fire so what difference does the pull weight matter.

Most officers have a sidearm as a duty weapon... the argument is a heavy trigger pull is extra insurance against stress-related discharges. Lack of training certainly doesn't help, the quals for most police departments are pretty laughable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom