• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    *Attempted to search but the function isn't working so apologies if this has been covered already.

I recently bought a used pistol from a private party. The gun shop that did the transfer informed us that they are no longer required to log that gun into their books and that MSP would mail the paperwork back to the seller, not the gun shop. Has anyone else bought from a private seller since this change went into effect and how long was the wait?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Insufficent data.

Is the FFL physically holding the pistol ?

Is the seller physically holding the pistol ?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The dealer log book requirement relates to ATF licensing and has nothing to do with MSP. The way I read ATF regulations and recommend best practices, a dealer that processes a transfer but never has possession does not need to log the pistol as an acquisition/disposition. The 4473 and NICS provide the necessary information to ATF regarding the transferee/buyer. The state of MD gets the information it needs by way of the 77r.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    The dealer log book requirement relates to ATF licensing and has nothing to do with MSP. The way I read ATF regulations and recommend best practices, a dealer that processes a transfer but never has possession does not need to log the pistol as an acquisition/disposition. The 4473 and NICS provide the necessary information to ATF regarding the transferee/buyer. The state of MD gets the information it needs by way of the 77r.

This. If FFL takes possession of firearm and puts it in his log book, you are buying now from him and he does not check off private sale on 77r. Sounds like he is doing process correctly.

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    I agree. My question is can the seller transfer the gun on the 8th day like the FFL would? If not, how long has the wait been for the seller to get the paperwork returned?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    My question is can the seller transfer the gun on the 8th day like the FFL would?

Yes, same as when doing the transfer through MSP barracks. If the paperwork gets delayed by MSP, the seller can choose to wait but is not required to.

Just make sure it's the 8th day. Some dealers lollygag for days before sending the paperwork to MSP.

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    I haven't done a private sale through an ffl, but the last one I did at MSP barracks they said they would not be sending any paperwork back and you'd only hear from them if there was a problem with the background check.

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    Seems like its much easier to buy from "someone's" trunk down in the dirty bmore as the laws are so confusing. :sarcasm:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you do it through an FFL, NORMALLY, the FFL takes it into their inventory, and then runs the paperwork as if they are selling it.

That way, the buyer and seller only have to meet once, maybe. The buyer could stop by the FFL and leave the money, the seller could come by later and get paid and leave the pistol, and then buyer comes back to do paperwork and later to pick up.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If you do it through an FFL, NORMALLY, the FFL takes it into their inventory, and then runs the paperwork as if they are selling it.

That way, the buyer and seller only have to meet once, maybe. The buyer could stop by the FFL and leave the money, the seller could come by later and get paid and leave the pistol, and then buyer comes back to do paperwork and later to pick up.
    Thing is, if the FFL logs it, they can charge you $50 or whatever their transfer price is. They're limited to $20 for just facilitating a private sale, which is a lot cheaper.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Thing is, if the FFL logs it, they can charge you $50 or whatever their transfer price is. They're limited to $20 for just facilitating a private sale, which is a lot cheaper.

This. Plus FFL is not charged fee by MSP, a separate check goes in with hard copy to MSP ($10.00). FFL can only charge $20.00 for this service. If he takes possession it is as if he is selling weapon and all rules apply and he can charge whatever transfer fee he normally gets.

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    Seems like its much easier to buy from "someone's" trunk down in the dirty bmore as the laws are so confusing. :sarcasm:

Agreed. Every time I purchase a gun the process is different. HQL, no HQL, paperwork, no paperwork, release on 8th day or not, yadda yadda yadda.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Pick your FFL wisely.

I did an FFL transfer, and only paid $20. :)

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    I agree. My question is can the seller transfer the gun on the 8th day like the FFL would? If not, how long has the wait been for the seller to get the paperwork returned?

Yes he/she can, but whether or not they will is a question for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom