Дундак ex Florida Keys
    factory vs. CSS

20150824_220949.jpg

20150824_221207.jpg

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    There's nothing wrong with that braided spring. That's what they do, you have to angle the hammer in the receiver to compress the sides.

Who converted that gun? Nevermind, I see you mentioned it elsewhere. I would contact them and ask them to remedy the problem. Just show them that the conversion wasn't right and what I explained. Shim the hammer to the right and put in the factor hammer spring. Have them iron out that damage lightly debur it.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    His problem is distance is all. The shop isn't at all close and he doesn't have a ready way there. I'd take him down there if our schedules melded better.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    In a case like this a test fire is the only thing that will tell you if that will be a problem.

If you cant travel, you can still test assuming theres no close neighbors or laws preventing a percussion type test.

If you have a safe place to do it, you can use a knife and cut the wad and shot off a shotshell, then tap the powder out. Insert the primered only shell hull into the chamber manually and let the bolt go home hard. Point into a bucket of sand and shoot. Its just the primer going off, so it will be about as loud as a firecracker if it goes off.

If it does not go off you need a reduced power firing pin return spring, and the firing pin assembly deburred. Saigas and AKs in general are pretty notorious for rough machining and in this area is can keep the gun from busting a cap.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    true story it fired flawlessly before the conversion wtf happened :(

It takes some good knowledge to properly convert Saigas. I saw your initial thread where you wanted advice on a shop and lots of people chimed in on how easy it is. I was going to jump in and disagree but Im sick of debating people that think they know what they dont know. Yep, anyone can convert a Saiga, and put together an AR, but do they know how to do it properly so the thing will be reliable? Most dont, because their knowledge comes from working on on or 2 examples they own, or reading or watching stuff other people say on the internet, not working on hundreds of them.

Lots of people say it's easy to properly convert a Saiga, I disagree. I worked on a ton of conversions that wouldn't run, built by shops and by owners.

In your case, the problem looks from here like the cause is an improperly placed hammersl, bolt hold open, or the hammer has the wrong profile.

If the BHO is not impeding function then my advice is to compare the hammers (Original to the CSS Modified Hammer). Compare the stem where the pin goes through it and measure each side. Look at the width of the hammer arm and engagement ears, look at the front face profile as well. These areasons need to be similar to clear the receiver rails, not bind, cock properly, and strike the firing pin properly. This wasn't done when the conversion was done.

Unless the Bolt was disassembled and reassembled improperly (firing pin return spring was damaged), or something was burred or bent, the bolt should not be a problem

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    If you get it in a place where you want to test fire, I can probably make some quick time up at Freestate.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    It takes some good knowledge to properly convert Saigas. I saw your initial thread where you wanted advice on a shop and lots of people chimed in on how easy it is. I was going to jump in and disagree but Im sick of debating people that think they know what they dont know. Yep, anyone can convert a Saiga, and put together an AR, but do they know how to do it properly so the thing will be reliable?
    To be fair, even making a stock Saiga 12 run reliably takes some know-how... a simple conversion shouldn't really be generating the reliability issues, especially when using a Tapco G2 trigger and a decent retaining plate.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    To be fair, even making a stock Saiga 12 run reliably takes some know-how... a simple conversion shouldn't really be generating the reliability issues, especially when using a Tapco G2 trigger and a decent retaining plate.

But they do. I cant even count how many simple conversions by people ended up on my bench. Aftermarket hammers and triggers don't always function properly without the right mods.

The things can be frustrating, even for a skilled armorer or smith. I feel for tomfanthomas because I have seen it in a bunch of people's faces when they took bad advice and ended up with guns that don't run.

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    But they do. I cant even count how many simple conversions by people ended up on my bench. Aftermarket hammers and triggers don't always function properly without the right mods.

The things can be frustrating, even for a skilled armorer or smith. I feel for tomfanthomas because I have seen it in a bunch of people's faces when they took bad advice and ended up with guns that don't run.

how many pounds of pressure does it take for the hammer contacting the firing pin to the striker in order to protrude onto primer? ahhhh horrible grammar hopefully you understand me

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom