• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vburggator

Aug 29, 2015
    I have three old guns (Rifle, Pistol and a shotgun). I think the shotgun is unrepairable. Best I can tell:
    Rifle is a Winchester Model 1873 (Marking include: Winchester Repeating Arms New Haven Conn USA Kings Improvement Patented March 29, 1866 Oct 16 1860..... Also 38 WCF, I think the serial number is 5570433.

The pistol is a Smith and Wesson 38 Special CTG.

The shot gun is a H. Pieper Shotgun Belgium in really bad shape.

I want to restore the guns...they where given to me by the father recently. Pictures below. If anyone know where I may can get them repaired/restored, please advise. I live in Southern Maryland area.

Attachments

• image3.jpg
      image3.jpg
      70.4 KB · Views: 377
    • image4.jpg
      image4.jpg
      64.4 KB · Views: 363
    • image5.jpg
      image5.jpg
      62.7 KB · Views: 358
    • image7.jpg
      image7.jpg
      67.6 KB · Views: 367
    • image8.jpg
      image8.jpg
      59.8 KB · Views: 363
    • image12.jpg
      image12.jpg
      70.5 KB · Views: 361

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Turnbull as mentioned. He is not cheap though, depending on what you want done it may be $3k going up into the $10k's. However, his work is amazing.

I would leave them alone if they function and enjoy them as is.

Vburggator

Aug 29, 2015
    Thanks, hard to read the serial number on the Win...it appears to have a little surface rust. I like the idea of hanging the double on the wall in my an cave. Thanks.
    Again thanks for the info.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    "Restoring" collectable guns is the quickest way to destroy their value.
    Those guns don't appear to need any "restoring" at all. The rifle and revolver appear to be in good condition.

rfawcs

Si Se Pwodway
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 15, 2008
    Waldorf, MD
    I would concur with everyone else, the rifle and the revolver may need a good cleaning but otherwise I would leave them alone. You should talk to Curtis Miller at Precision Gun works in Nanjamoy, 301-743-5483 about the shotgun. He cleaned up and repaired a Colt 1878 double-barrel shotgun for me and it looks a lot better than when I got it, and it actually functions now. I saw some rifles he restored that had been in a fire, what he did was magic.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Scott at Scott's gunsmithing has done some pretty awesome "no harm" restorations. There were some pictures on here of some of the work he did, although I'll be darned if I can find them.

By "no harm" I mean not re-bluing, not sanding, just clean, remove rust and pretty up the wood bits. That kind of restoration can only improve value as opposed to reducing it.

You need a guy with the subtle touch.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Scott at Scott's gunsmithing has done some pretty awesome "no harm" restorations. There were some pictures on here of some of the work he did, although I'll be darned if I can find them.

By "no harm" I mean not re-bluing, not sanding, just clean, remove rust and pretty up the wood bits. That kind of restoration can only improve value as opposed to reducing it.

You need a guy with the subtle touch.

Scott in Glen Burnie cleaned up an old 1889 Marlin lever action, and some other guns, for me. He cleaned them, which is what you want. You do not want them restored.

I'd say it's worth the trip.

marlin4.jpg

Rick3bears

Grumpy Old Coot
    Jul 28, 2012
    Somewhere, MD
    Yup. I tell my clients that restoring, rebluing etc., is a great way to have a "pretty" gun with no value. I just recommend cleaning, lubing, and a safety function check. I just finished a 1890's Stagecoach gun for a guy. He was disappointed that I wouldn't re-blue it, but when he got it back clean, and with the wood prettied up, he realized I was right. He now has a great "mantle" gun that LOOKS like an old original stagecoach gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom